Serenity (or Firefly: The Movie)

Started by Raikus, June 04, 2004, 06:33:27 PM

Pas

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: modagea brief history:

i loved Buffy the movie when it came out.  only saw a few minutes of the tv show and didnt like it.  never saw Firefly the show.  BUT with the good word of mouth, and rabid fans i'm interested.  

but moreso i love the EXTREMELY cool marketing strategy of holding fan screenings MONTHS in advance and doing only internet advertising.  it is because of this i want to reward this film with my viewing in the theatre.  HOWEVER, never having seen the show i'm struggling with whether i should hold out on the movie till dvd after i've had a chance to see the series to increase my appreciation of it or just go see this to support it.  HELP!

Seriously it's that good ?! I don't know if I'm a bitch here but I tought the trailer was kinda gay. Anyway now everyone is raving so I am considering even buying the DVD set since I love good sci-fi....

a)Should I buy the series ?
b)Is it preferable to see the movie after the series ?

polkablues

Quote from: Pas Rapa)Should I buy the series ?
b)Is it preferable to see the movie after the series ?

a)I would say yes, although the movie is better than the series ever was.

b)Although I really have no frame of reference, not knowing what it would be like to see the movie without having seen the series, I would imagine seeing it probably helps.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Ok, because this is going to get overhyped, everyone should go see it before that happens. But first, watch the series.

Then, read Orson Scott Card compare Joss Whedon to Shakespeare as he calls this the best sci-fi movie ever:

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2005-09-30-extra.shtml
WWPTAD?

ProgWRX

My brothers are HUGE fan of the series, but i could never get into it. I never liked Buffy, im not big fan of sci fi and usually HATE westerns, so this was a combination that didnt seem all that interesting to me. They came home all high from the rush of seeing the movie, and basically convinced me and my gf to go see it today with them.

We both LOVED this movie. I can only wish i couldve watched the series before watching the movie, it couldve only helped to make it even better. Good action with lots of character development! Even having not seen the series, it got me to feel for certain things that ocurred. When we got back home we immediately watched the pilot of the series. Now im looking forward for the rest.

Here's hoping that the film does well enough to maybe spawn a sequel or even better, a revival of the TV show!
-Carlos

matt35mm

Yeah I saw this tonight and I've never seen the TV show.  It definitely works anyway.

I will add another :yabbse-thumbup: to the pile of good reviews.

hedwig

Quote from: GamblourOrson Scott Card compare Joss Whedon to Shakespeare as he calls this the best sci-fi movie ever:

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2005-09-30-extra.shtml

cool article.

but DAMN, i think Card italicizes a non-titular word in at least fifteen of his paragraphs!

Pubrick

i was down with firefly sine before it was cool. and i was not into buffy so it's not a whedon thing.

havn't seen this yet but i know i'll love it, so add my pre-emptive good review. tho i don't think u can get a better review than ProgWRX's. if u told me u didn't like buffy, sci-fi, or westerns i would've advised u seriously not to see it. u've inspired me to convince my brother to go. (sorry hedwig, damn that article!)

my favourite thing of the series were Animal Mother's shirts.. and the chicks. can't wait to see both on a huge screen! :yabbse-lipsrsealed:
under the paving stones.

ProgWRX

actually after watching the first episode of the series (the 80something minute one) the chicks look hotter/prettier on the tv show than on the big screen. "Kaylee" and "Inara" being the most notable examples, IMO.
-Carlos

Pas

Quote from: Pubricki was down with firefly sine before it was cool. and i was not into buffy so it's not a whedon thing.

havn't seen this yet but i know i'll love it, so add my pre-emptive good review. tho i don't think u can get a better review than ProgWRX's. if u told me u didn't like buffy, sci-fi, or westerns i would've advised u seriously not to see it. u've inspired me to convince my brother to go. (sorry hedwig, damn that article!)

my favourite thing of the series were Animal Mother's shirts.. and the chicks. can't wait to see both on a huge screen! :yabbse-lipsrsealed:

Ok that's cool I'm ordering the tv series right now.

Quote from: Orson Scott Card in that article Gamblour postedOn that ship we had an interlocking community with a history, rather like what has been a-building with Lost and what was developed over the years with Friends (but what never existed in Seinfeld because the main writer, Larry David, doesn't seem to believe in anything, and you can't build a powerful community on a sneer).

Invalidated.

Gamblour.

haha, I know Pas, that was a strange comment. But, if you think about it, as existential as Seinfeld is, I can see Card's point.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

Quote from: ProgWRX"Kaylee" and "Inara" being the most notable examples, IMO.
yes (plus the redhead bryce dallas howard lookalike u'll see later in the series). i didn't wanna say "except the black one" cos i think she's married to larry fishburne. also kaylee (jewel staite) notably lost weight since the series was shot, i noticed in publicity photos she looks freakishly thin, and her pudgy face was always her main attraction. that and the voice.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

yeah, but she comes off as bitchy in the special features. or at least, sliiiiightly bitchy so that it ruins the illusion of kaylee.
WWPTAD?

w/o horse

It was okay.  Some of the writing was tv writing to the maxx.  I like his humor, but am less than amazed by the fact that he builds characters and more let down by how two dimensional the characters are.  Still, good popcorn times.

Haven't seen the show, don't feel the need to now.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

matt35mm

Oh, I wanted to add that I appreciated that there was no sound in space.  Only when they enter an atmosphere.  It's probably not the only movie aside from 2001 that does that, but it's still rare.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: ProgWRXI never liked Buffy, im not big fan of sci fi and usually HATE westerns, so this was a combination that didnt seem all that interesting to me.

We both LOVED this movie. I can only wish i couldve watched the series before watching the movie, it couldve only helped to make it even better. Good action with lots of character development! Even having not seen the series, it got me to feel for certain things that ocurred.

Here's hoping that the film does well enough to maybe spawn a sequel or even better, a revival of the TV show!
Agreed, wholeheartedly. :yabbse-thumbup:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.