Serenity (or Firefly: The Movie)

Started by Raikus, June 04, 2004, 06:33:27 PM

Raikus

Yes!

It exceeded expectations, which is really saying a lot. I was very surprised about what a well rounded, realized story it had. A movie only composed of strong parts is very rare and I thought it had that. It was great to see the characters up on the big screen and not the "movie" versions of the character, but the same as they were on the TV series (except for Jane perhaps. He was a bit too wordy).

***SPOILERS HEREFORTH***

I knew going into the movie that some of the characters were going to die through stumbled upon spoilers. I figured Shepherd was one of them, but when Wash died I was really shocked. Especially with the suddeness of it. Honestly, it pissed me off royally, but I guess any movie/tv series that can cause emotions like that about a character's death speaks for itself. I liked the violence, I liked the story and especially Mal's process during the movie. I didn't like Inara's stupid Nerf pistol bow and arrow, Jane's one use of a big word (can't remember what it was) and I hated Wash's passing.

I was very surprised how much I liked the movie since it focussed on my two least favorite characters (River and Simon) but man did they become interesting quickly. I also liked how Whedon could pull you back into the fun of the movie so quickly (Wash's death - Reaver attack - Kaylee's sex line/"I'm living then"). But now I'm really depressed that this may be the last story we have of them. I hope not, but signs point to yes.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

killafilm

Quote from: Losing the Horse:It was okay.  Some of the writing was tv writing to the maxx.  I like his humor, but am less than amazed by the fact that he builds characters and more let down by how two dimensional the characters are.  Still, good popcorn times.

Haven't seen the show, don't feel the need to now.

Saw it yesterday and feel almost exactly the same.  It was no where close to all of the hype.  I didn't see any amazing character development.  I didn't care when anyone died, and a large part of me wanted more of the main characters to die.  I'll also say there was some 'tv acting to the maxx.'

While the story may have been 'well rounded' it all came off a bit cliche and unoriginal to me.  Seemed like Whedon was barrowing a little too much from Sci-Fi's past.

Recce

Quote from: RaikusYes!
***SPOILERS HEREFORTH***

I knew going into the movie that some of the characters were going to die through stumbled upon spoilers. I figured Shepherd was one of them, but when Wash died I was really shocked. Especially with the suddeness of it. Honestly, it pissed me off royally, but I guess any movie/tv series that can cause emotions like that about a character's death speaks for itself.

***Spoiler***

It bugged me too that they killed Wash, but it definitely worked to make you understand that there were consequences to their actions. I think for anyone who was even remotely into it, you feel understand better just how fucked up things are getting when they kill off the comic relief. Plus, for anyone who followed the show, your stomach tightens at the thought of Whedon going nuts and killing everyone off in a mad attempt at destroying anything Firefly so no one else can mess with it.

Apparently, there are talks about sequels if and when the film grosses a certain large amount of profit. I haven't really followed how its been doing? Anyone know?
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

polkablues

Quote from: RecceApparently, there are talks about sequels if and when the film grosses a certain large amount of profit. I haven't really followed how its been doing? Anyone know?

Not too well.  Huge dropoff in its second week.  Should make a killing overseas and on DVD, though.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Title: Serenity
Released: 20th December 2005
SRP: $29.98

Further Details
Universal has today officially announced Serenity which stars Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk. This Joss Whedon directed sci-fi will be available to own from the 20th December, priced at around $29.98. The film itself will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. Extras will include a feature commentary with writer/director Joss Whedon, a director introduction, deleted scenes, outtakes, a Future History: The Story of Earth That Was featurette, a What's in a Firefly featurette and a Re-Lighting the Firefly featurette. We've attached the official artwork at the link below: http://dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=8055&n=1&burl=

well, thats cool i'll still be able to see this before the end of the year.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

I have a question for all the Firefly fans in the house.  

A friend of mine is trying to get me into the show.  I watched the first couple of episodes and, though it's not bad at all, I'm lukewarm to it.  The sci-fi/western mash-up is interesting but it feels forced sometimes; the Western aspect of it is too "on the nose" to really enjoy IMHO.  I never caught it when it was on Fox (being that it was in the timeslot of death) but if I had, I feel like I would have tuned out by now.  Nothing has kicked my ass yet on the show.  Maybe I'm just spoiled by Lost which had me about 30 seconds into the pilot.

So my question is a 2-parter really: does the show get better after the first couple of episodes and, is Serenity easier to like than Firefly or is it a case where you really need to be into the show to even bother with the movie?

matt35mm

Quote from: hacksparrowis Serenity easier to like than Firefly or is it a case where you really need to be into the show to even bother with the movie?
I think it's already been established that the movie is worth watching even without having seen the show.  It works as a movie on its own, so don't worry about that.

Raikus

I can only speak from my experiences, but when it was on TV I gave it a shot and it just didn't happen. Later I watched the DVD's and it just clicked. Yes the episodes do get better the further you go. Starting, I think, with Our Mrs. Reynolds and continuing. Watching them in order the characters start coming to like and the western motif is "just there" but not overbearing.

The important thing to remember is this is not one of those "character investing" sci fi show like Farscape or Babylon 5 or whatever. It takes a little watching and it will either click for you or not. But I highly suggest you take the chance.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Ghostboy

I saw the movie a few weeks ago, and it just didn't click for me enough to make me want to go back and watch the show. I got caught up in it, but only barely. It was smart and well-written, but it just didn't really grab me.

polkablues

Quote from: hacksparrowSo my question is a 2-parter really: does the show get better after the first couple of episodes and, is Serenity easier to like than Firefly or is it a case where you really need to be into the show to even bother with the movie?

I'll reiterate what I've said before: I watched the show back when it was on TV and liked it, but never really loved it.  But the movie blew me away.  Everything they were trying to do with the show, they accomplished tenfold in the film.

I have the feeling it would be to your benefit to watch more of the series, if for nothing else than to really get a sense of the richness of the character relationships (which pay off immeasurably in "Serenity").

ProgWRX

i had never watched the show, in fact i normally dont like either westerns nor am i a big fan of sci fi, and still went and LOVED the movie. I just HAD to watch the series afterwards.

:saywhat:
-Carlos

hedwig

polkablues

How many drunk monkeys were in charge of marketing for this movie?  Every single piece of art I've seen promoting it has been terrible.  This is a major theatrical release, not a Sci-Fi Channel original production!

Raikus

Yeah, that DVD looks like a Vivid cover. Or a Tracy Lords flick.

MacGuffin

Exclusive: A Serenity Sequel?
This one's for the Browncoats.

IGN FilmForce has heard that, although it was very disappointed in the poor boxoffice showing for Serenity, Universal may not have retired Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his renegade crew just yet.

Sources said that, given the strong sales of the TV series Firefly on DVD, Universal is planning a sequel film to Serenity that will be produced with and to broadcast premiere on the Sci Fi Channel, which is part of the NBC Universal family.

The project is said to be a lower budget undertaking streamlined for the small-screen.

IGN FilmForce checked with Joss Whedon's camp who denied the claim; Universal did not comment.

Time will tell if this rumor pans out.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks