The cast of LOTR - SPOILERS

Started by kotte, December 17, 2003, 03:24:20 PM

pookiethecat

i despise elijah wood.  the image of him being tempted by the ring became redundant very very quickly...  though my ire is not just reserved for him: all the hobbits in rotk were irritating, weak, babyish and poorly acted.  definitely some homoerotic stuff going on too- not that that's bad but it seemed so frivolous and clumsy.  and just out of context.

i found eowyn to become more and more juvenile, the more warrior-like she became. though i thought she would have made a much cuter couple with aragorn than liv tyler.  in my humble opinion, liv tyler is about as attractive as her dad.
i wanna lick 'em.

godardian

Quote from: pookiethecatin my humble opinion, liv tyler is about as attractive as her dad.

That is a very diplomatic way of putting it without sounding really vicious... like, "I think Michael Jackson is about as talented as his siblings." (Seriously, I do.)

It's really peculiar how sci-fi/fantasy/"geek" stuff is so welcoming of gays and lesbians, and how yes, it seems perfectly typical that there be homoerotic stuff going on. I don't mean peculiar-bad by any means, just... not obvious. Unexpected.

Margaret Cho has this joke she tells where she talks about going to Star Trek conventions and then going to leather-S/M bars, and it's the exact same people! Something about the role-playing, the circumscribed-archetypical characterizations... anyway, a very funny joke.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

I love Liv Tyler in these movies (can't say I ever liked her much in anything else). Found her to be note perfect and incredibly beautiful, especially when she's speaking Elven. It's funny though...she has so much gravitas in the role, but in the behind-the-scenes footage she comes off as a complete airhead. I've noticed this about a lot of good actresses (re Julianne Moore in the Magnolia doc, and Halle Berry every third time she opens her mouth -- luckily, Moore seems to posess an ounce of discrimination in her role selection). From the actresses I've known, I think being flighty in real life helps them escape into a role better and give a better performance.

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyI love Liv Tyler in these movies (can't say I ever liked her much in anything else). Found her to be note perfect and incredibly beautiful, especially when she's speaking Elven. It's funny though...she has so much gravitas in the role, but in the behind-the-scenes footage she comes off as a complete airhead. I've noticed this about a lot of good actresses (re Julianne Moore in the Magnolia doc, and Halle Berry every third time she opens her mouth -- luckily, Moore seems to posess an ounce of discrimination in her role selection). From the actresses I've known, I think being flighty in real life helps them escape into a role better and give a better performance.

Yes... I've heard the theory that a certain... well, vacuity in the literal sense helps an actor, as if their personality were an empty vessel waiting to be filled by a role/character... Moore did come off as ultra-casual on the Magnolia doc, but I think that may have even been a role-specific tension-relieving mechanism... By all accounts, she's very serious about her work, and when she was on Actor's Studio, she was really polite and modest and laughed a lot, but I also thought she was extremely intelligent, and what she said about the roles she chose and why was compelling.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

pookiethecat

very eloquently put, godardian.

liv tyler has an ethereal glow to her that i think suits the lotr movies well.  i just think eowyn and aragorn had more chemistry together.
i wanna lick 'em.

Find Your Magali

I went with Sean Astin. He's the soul of the films.

I also gave due consideration to Sean Bean and Andy Serkis.

Jeremy Blackman

Sorry, but I think Sean Astin and Liv Tyler are incredibly annoying in the LOTR movies.

pookiethecat

i second that, jeremy blackman.

he was an irritating mess,  showing no real character traits independent from his quasi-obsessive attachment to frodo.  what exactly did people find appealing about his performance or his character?
i wanna lick 'em.

Gamblour.

Quote from: pookiethecatwhat exactly did people find appealing about his performance or his character?

It may be because he cries a lot and it's pretty heartbreaking, but I dunno about good. I still say Pippin and Eowyn are the best.
WWPTAD?

Jeremy Blackman

I think Ian McKellan is the only one who got it right. Tolkein dialogue is pretty much impossible to pull off... so most of the LOTR movies sound like mock Shakespeare. I still can't get over that... maybe when I see ROTK.

Pippin was good, though.

pookiethecat

pippin's the dude with the pig nose right?  if so, that guy is the suckiest of the sucky.
i wanna lick 'em.

Gamblour.

Quote from: pookiethecatpippin's the dude with the pig nose right?  if so, that guy is the suckiest of the sucky.

The guy who sings in the meat/defeat montage? When the riders go to be killed? He has a pig nose? And how does he suck?
WWPTAD?

pookiethecat

well i found all the hobbits to be devoid of genuine personality.  each had
stock affectations in place of true personalities: frodo= the sensitive, contemplative one; samwise=the one with the big heart; merry/pippin= the mischievious ones.  dominic monaghan portrayed merry...he was the one i was incorrectly referring to in the previous post. and truth be told, he was my least favorite hobbit. pippin was slightly less offensive.  i don't blame the actors as much as the writing and directing for depriving these characters of interesting personalities.
i wanna lick 'em.

Ghostboy

Quote from: pookiethecati don't blame the actors as much as the WRITING AND DIRECTING for depriving these characters of interesting personalities.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

pookiethecat

can i ask you to clarify that "noooooo"  ?
i wanna lick 'em.