The cast of LOTR - SPOILERS

Started by kotte, December 17, 2003, 03:24:20 PM

kotte

In times like these with a great trilogy coming to an end I think we should talk about the cast.
A film is as strong as it's weakest performance.

For the first two films I was a bit unsure about Dominic Monaghan, Billy Boyd and Sean Astin. ROTK is where they all proved themselfs. Especially Astin. The place when Frodo leaves him is a pretty obvious thing to like but it's great. I'm amazed the cast managed to pull off the grandiloquent dialogue.

Ian McKellen did a superb job through-out the trilogy. Was kinda disappointed when I read he never even sat on a horse.

Viggo Mortensen is just the coolest guy. He is the MAN. How we all should be.

There are many more such as Liv Tyler, Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom and John Rhys-Davies.

Raikus

Well, I'm seeing RoTK at 7, but I really think McKellen was the best throughout. I also think he was the most important part of making it work. If you didn't believe the character of Gandalf I don't think you would have gotten envolved in the movies.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

SoNowThen

I don't think it's even a question... Viggo. Captivates you in every frame, sells ever single gesture, dominates totally. He moves firmly on my list of favorite actors with this trilogy.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alexandro

What Andy Serkis did with Gollum elevated it from a great CGI creation to a great fully developed rounded character, period.

But everyone else is amazing too...

Kal

Sean Astin is great... he was the fucking hero... if it wasnt for him the ring would have never been destroyed... He knew the truth about Gollum, he saved Frodo from the Spider and the Orcs, he even had to carry his sorry as up the mountain... and the acting was excellent... the problem with that is that I hope I dont see him in any other movie from now on, cause for me he is just Sam the Hobbit and thats it!

MacGuffin

I take it this thread will contain spoilers throughout.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

kotte

Quote from: MacGuffinI take it this thread will contain spoilers throughout.

Fuck. I'm sorry!  :oops:

godardian

All this talk about Viggo Mortensen when he
Quote from: SoNowThendominates
and
Quote from: SoNowThenmoves firmly
is just too distracting and could easily lead me to unfair hormone-based bias, but after I shake my head and clear my mind out:

Cate Blanchett.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

NEON MERCURY

.i'm going with sean bean.....his death scene floored me and his extended scenes in TTT comanded more force than any of voggo's...

he's so underrated...

©brad

Quote from: kotteIan McKellen did a superb job through-out the trilogy. Was kinda disappointed when I read he never even sat on a horse.

ahhh!! don't tell me that!

Quote from: andykSean Astin is great... he was the fucking hero... if it wasnt for him the ring would have never been destroyed... He knew the truth about Gollum, he saved Frodo from the Spider and the Orcs, he even had to carry his sorry as up the mountain... and the acting was excellent... the problem with that is that I hope I dont see him in any other movie from now on, cause for me he is just Sam the Hobbit and thats it!

yeah no shit. everyone praises frodo and thinks he's the man, but hey... it's all sam! sam's the one fighting orks and protecting/carrying/feeding frodo and shit. (the homoerotic subleties in two towers and ROTK could fill a book)

if i had to choose, i'd say..........

nah, can't. cough...andyserkis...cough

was it me, or did orlando bloom look like a full blown chick in the end? (i actually thought he-she-it was kinda hot :shock: )

Gamblour.

Billy Boyd! He was great, I love that guy. But my heart is with Miranda Otto, I feel serious guilt now for voting Billy over Miranda... :cry: I will marry her one day to make up for it.
WWPTAD?

phil marlowe

even though he's a dirty old queer, i'm a mckellen man.

SoNowThen

Quote from: godardianAll this talk about Viggo Mortensen when he
Quote from: SoNowThendominates
and
Quote from: SoNowThenmoves firmly
is just too distracting and could easily lead me to unfair hormone-based bias, but after I shake my head and clear my mind out:

Cate Blanchett.

No, be swayed.

He puts everybody else in these movies to shame, he's so fucking good.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pookiethecat

miranda otto stole the two towers.  they could have used more of her in rotk, i felt.  plus she looks uncannily like emily watson, one of my faves.
i wanna lick 'em.

bonanzataz

that's funny. my sister and i said we wished emily watson was miranda otto's part. i guess ms. otto pissed me off b/c i knew she could never get with aragorn, why is she acting so damned clingy?

cate blanchett is good in every movie she does, but she seems to do a lot of crap. she needs to make a movie that showcases her talents more. like elizabeth.

elijah pisses me off most of the time. with his faces and whatnot. i guess he pulled frodo off, but i kinda wish petey j casted another frodo. who would've made a better frodo?

however, i can't choose between one person i thought was best. i pretty much like all of them. even elijah, sometimes.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls