Before Sunset

Started by MacGuffin, April 21, 2004, 01:30:24 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewardi love you guys

More than the film?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

not more, but in a very different way

Thrindle

Quote from: matt35mmBut... but I'm going see Harold and Kumar (hopefully).  What are you saying about my character?  I don't smoke weed, either.

That was more of a reference to the character of my town.  All I've heard about at work is how: "Harold and Kumar was so funny, and I was so fucking high!"

We all know I'm not the anti-drug.  Just read my thread...  although I do seem to condemn weed... oh Thrindle and her hypocracies...
Classic.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewardnot more, but in a very different way

You have lots of love to give.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

MacGuffin

Warner has officially announced Before Sunset which stars Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. This Richard Linklater directed romantic comedy, will be available to own from the 9th November this year, and should set you back somewhere in the region of $27.95. No details yet on whether or not extra material will be included. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen along with both English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks.

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

YAY!!

I tried to find some info on when it would be out on DVD, and November 9th is a little sooner than I expected, so thanks for the great news, Mac!

Alethia

cool story.  ive been looking all over my town and towns outside it in various borders, fye's, coconuts, etc to try to find a dvd copy of before sunrise and it was impossible to find.  just impossible.  so i had decided to order it off amazon, which i generally dont like doing because i have to wait for it to arrive.  so the other night i was at friendly's with two of my friends, having coffee (we dont do starbucks or any of that shit) and some finger foods, and one of them decided to pay for me because i drive him around alot and ive never asked him for gas money.  so, since i had a few extra bucks on me, i said that i would be right back, and i ran across the very busy street to my local borders, to pick up a moderately priced movie (i get urges sometimes).  i run in, out of breath, a few people look at me and laugh and ask if i am okay, i give them a thumbs up and keep walking, looking around, 'which one, which one', when WABAAM i look down and fucking BEFORE SUNRISE is sitting there, looking gorgeous.  mind you, i had checked this borders many many times and there was nothing nothing nothing.  the other three borders in counties surrounding mine were lacking it as well.  i had just enough money, so i bought it, ran back, and sucked down free refills of coffee and had some wonderful and free cheese quasedillas.  a very nice evening.

however i don't think i will have an adventure that big in my purchasing of the sequel come november (nor will i run across any damn streets to get it for it is fucking cold here 'round that time o' year)

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewardcool story.  ive been looking all over my town and towns outside it in various borders, fye's, coconuts, etc to try to find a dvd copy of before sunrise and it was impossible to find.  just impossible.  so i had decided to order it off amazon, which i generally dont like doing because i have to wait for it to arrive.  so the other night i was at friendly's with two of my friends, having coffee (we dont do starbucks or any of that shit) and some finger foods, and one of them decided to pay for me because i drive him around alot and ive never asked him for gas money.  so, since i had a few extra bucks on me, i said that i would be right back, and i ran across the very busy street to my local borders, to pick up a moderately priced movie (i get urges sometimes).  i run in, out of breath, a few people look at me and laugh and ask if i am okay, i give them a thumbs up and keep walking, looking around, 'which one, which one', when WABAAM i look down and fucking BEFORE SUNRISE is sitting there, looking gorgeous.  mind you, i had checked this borders many many times and there was nothing nothing nothing.  the other three borders in counties surrounding mine were lacking it as well.  i had just enough money, so i bought it, ran back, and sucked down free refills of coffee and had some wonderful and free cheese quasedillas.  a very nice evening.

Too bad you'll have to double dip when they will probably announce a Spec. Ed. in connection with the sequel's release.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

yeah i know, but the movies worth it.

cine

So I finally saw this film and I must say, this is true cinema.

Spoilers ahead, folks.

Linklater films this effortlessly and it's really as if we're right there with them.. following them along as they catch up on nine years apart.

Not sure why mutinyco said there's no reason for this to be made. The characters are wiser now and have developed. Just because they have the same beliefs on things doesn't mean they're the same people. And Delpy's monologue about Hawke taking all of the love she had.. that made us take the sequel on a more serious level.

But the payoff in the end... holy shit, I said something aloud when it faded to black. I think I just gasped real loud, shocked that it ended perfectly the way I wanted it to. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. As the credits rolled, I had a deep amount of love for the characters. There was so much natural human emotion displayed in that 80 minutes that it was almost too much to take. Prime example being Delpy in the car wanting to touch Hawke's hair and then pulls back right before he turns around.

Loved this film. Right at the top as one of the best of the year.

matt35mm

Agreed.

Can't wait till this comes out on DVD on November 9th (which is actually not too far away from now!)  This is a film with a lot of dialogue that is not only watchable, but very re-watchable.  The replay value is pretty high for me.  I hope it does well in DVD sales for that reason.

modage

so, i saw this movie tonite after a brief flirtation with going to see it in theatres which yielded no fruit. and despite it getting pretty universally praised on here i had no real expectation for it to do anything for me, because i dont remember liking the first one too much and have not cared for linklaters talkier films like Waking Life and Slacker.  i just cant stand listening to a bunch of college essays being spoken by 'characters' that dont mean anything to me.  it bores the shit out of me and that was part of what got on my nerves about the first film.  its just these two people talking about all the usual linklater 'issues', and as true as it may be, that people that age really are more interested in that stuff, it doesnt mean i want to watch a movie about it.  so, going into this, i had all these factors working against it.  and yet, i was optimistic as i usually am when i go into a film like this (von triers, dgg's) that the film will somehow win me over and change my mind.  

the film won me over.  and as you can see above, i was not an easy sell.  from the opening minutes i went from briefly going 'oh god, ethan hawke in another one of these parts', to just being totally wrapped up in what was going to happen.  and although not much did, i was completely gripped.  the way the characters interacted and slowly revealed the all their secrets and the history of what had happened was so natural and not forced.  even the way the movie managed to bring up these grander issues about life or love, didnt seem pretentious at all, but this time... natural.  an AMAZING feat for linklater in my eyes, because all of a sudden, i cared.  

when hawke said he didnt go to meet her in the opening moments, i knew immediately he was lying.  i could see it all over his face, and it was perfect.  and when delpy said she 'didnt remember' whether or not they made love, was so true to the bizarre workings of the female mind.  why on earth would someone say this?  but it was true.  the way all of their stories were revealed was just great.  not spelled out all at once through expository statements, but slowly throughout the whole film in half truths and gut wrenching honesty.  

towards the final 20 minutes of the film, my heart remained in the pit of my stomach.  knowing that it was coming to an end and knowing that he was definitely getting on that plane.  the ending, although ambiguous, was sort of great.  which is another REALLY tough thing to nail without feeling cheated.   and even after the film, which still just seems so slight, because it was only two people talking for a few hours filmed. i dont know that i can say it was a 'great movie', but i know that i really liked it and i guess thats the magic of it.  and thats probably the biggest surprise of the year.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

probably the funniest review of the year.

ono

Now I've gotta see this movie just so I can read that review.