The Lingering Aftereffects of Movies

Started by ono, March 21, 2004, 11:52:32 PM

ono

You ever see a movie and find yourself not too taken or impressed with it at first, but then at some point in time, be it a day later, or maybe even a month, or two, or six, you find yourself thinking about it and thinking "hey, that was pretty good," or "hey, that was pretty awful!"

The film that comes to mind first is, obviously, Magnolia.  I won't dwell on that too much, though.  Just that for me, I didn't take too it right away, but that night I couldn't stop thinking about it.  Mulholland Dr. is like that for me, too.  But those are too obvious, and that's not what I'm getting at.

The one that I'm thinking about right now, just came into my mind for no reason other than that Jeff Bridges was in it, is Fearless.  Not even sure if there's a thread about it, but it is a powerful, underrated movie.  Overshadowed for some inexplicable reason.  It has this really eerie tone.  I think it could've been something Todd Haynes would make.  Perhaps, though, I'm only saying that because I saw Safe on the same weekened.  And oddly enough, I was underwhelmed by that film, too, but am beginning to appreciate it a bit more now.  And also oddly enough, I just saw the episode of SNL Julianne Moore hosted back in 1998 late last night (and she was, of course, great in it -- betcha you can't imagine her as a bimbo opposite Tim Meadows in The Ladies' Man without cracking a smile).  Go figure.  And talk about non-sequiturs.

Stefen

I did this with A.I. I saw it and hated it, then I kept thinking about it, now It's one of my favorite films.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Weak2ndAct

I don't want to turn this into a 'Fearless' thread, but I fuckin' LOVE that movie.  I blind bought a VHS for like a buck b/c I saw Peter Weir's name on it and was blown away.  So many scenes stick w/ me to this day (the car crash, the mirror inspection, the group sessions, strawberries (!) to name a few).

But yes Ono, I getcha.  Nothing's more wonderful than having a flick slip into your subconscience and take on a life of it's own.  Sometimes I think that the 'filters' I might have had while watching the film (mood, location, overanalyzing, company, etc.) on first viweing are the reason, but who knows how it happens.

I Stand Alone was definitely one of those for me.  I was initially put off by some of the VO and stylistic choices, but then I found myself re-renting the movie over and over again.

Myxo

The first time I saw Mulholland Drive, I was with a girl I liked very much. It was only our second or third date.

I remember leaving the theater thinking, "God damn that was good. I wish I could have paid a little more attention. Oh well. I'll see it again."

Oh, and I'll throw out another PTA praise..

I had the same feeling about Magnolia as well. I saw it by myself. Then, I took three of my closest friends individually to see it again with them.

I could go on and on.. I had a Matrix addiction for a while when it was in theaters. I think my friends and I saw it like 6-8 times before it stopped showing. One of us would call the other after classes and we'd both know what the call was for. "Wanna go see The Matrix again?"

Alethia

i didn't like shoot the piano player at first, but as time goes on i find myself itching to see it again....

a movie i liked at first but now not so much is.....ahhh.....i can't think of one....i'll let ya know if i do

Pedro

a movie i liked at first but now not so much is donnie darko

Just Withnail

I agree on both Magnolia and Mulholland. The Limey is another one, as are Princess Mononoke, Punch-Drunk Love, Blue Velvet, Buffalo 66, Three Colours trilogy. Personally Don't Look Now is the best example. I saw it and thought it was a sometimes great movie, other times good, with an unsatisfiying ending (or, at least not what I was looking for at the time). It's been quite some time since I saw it, but now I just love every aspect of it...especially the ending.

SoNowThen

The Limey's a great example of this. Took me three times to get into it, but now I just love it.

Alphaville is one I always mention here.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

I blind bought Rushmore on DVD, because it was cheap, Wes was one of the hottest directors around and I was dying to see The Royal Tenenbaums. It was my first Wes Anderson experience and when it was over, I was like 'Well, it's kinda funny and all, but is it as good as everybody says it is? Hell, NO!' However, for some reason, I kept thinking about some scenes of the movie and the music and stuff, so the next day, I watched it again and, well, now I really really like it. It not Tenenbaum GREAT but it's a damn fine movie  :)
Si

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: SoNowThenThe Limey's a great example of this. Took me three times to get into it, but now I just love it.

Alphaville is one I always mention here.

I had the same problem with both at first but now I like Alphaville and love The Limey.  Need to give Alphaville another viewing though but it's the kind of film I have to be in the mood to watch.

On the opposite end, coming out of Minority Report, I really liked it... until my girlfriend and I started picking out all the inconsistencies on the ride home.  It kind of brought the movie down for me.

Ravi

I used to like Rushmore a lot.  I still like it, but not quite as much, and I'm more aware of its flaws today.

Jeremy Blackman

Mulholland Drive is the best example for me. I felt intellectually molested, and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days, and eventually came to love it like an Oedipus child. It was the only movie since Magnolia that I recognized as being more than a movie.

Thrindle

The last movie that kept creeping back into my thoughts was Lost in Translation.  I liked it when I watched it the first time... but I found that for days afterward my appreciation continued to grow.  The sentimental feeling of deep connection in a sea of unknown faces, really rattled me.  It was such a beautiful story, and in a time where the best anyone seems to get is a fuck buddy... I loved the idea an honest match between two people.  Hope...
Classic.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.