The Lingering Aftereffects of Movies

Started by ono, March 21, 2004, 11:52:32 PM

Sal

Haha, Im so happy you guys mentioned Kids.  I felt like replacing my skin after I saw it since I was just 13.  Totally left me wanting to not sleep, not do anything.

Requiem for a Dream left me quite ill feeling also.  Though it was also a much more wholesome and meaningful film.  Ive seen it several times since, unlike Kids.  

Everything PTA did has left me gnawing on it long after viewing.  I think Hard Eight was the only one of his that didn't give me that perpetuating feeling.  

Lost in translation gets mentioned so many times that I dont need to state it, but I will say that over time it's gotten less and less fruitful for me.  I dont think it has as much lasting value as other films.

8 1/2 was HUGE to me.  The way it ended, I was mindfucked when I first saw a print of it.  I didnt quite get it, but that was okay.  I felt what Fellini was going for and thats all that mattered.  I never like intellectualizing movies and I didnt have to.

Last year at Marienbad's, however, I did have to intellectualize.  That was its lasting power.  I just couldnt stop thinking about what the hell Id been witness to.  The film left me largely apathetic, almost like it wanted me to be just like the girl that the guy thought he'd met before.  Dissonant.  That movie is like getting information thats been passed down a dark, echoey hallway.  Super eerie.  I couldnt stop laughing with my friend afterwards because it reeked of pretension and encompassed all the facets of really bad french film, but nonetheless, it stuck around in my head like some bad bug.

that's good for now..

ono

I just remembered: Scarlet Diva by Asia Argento.  Really complex movie, really gutsy.  Fascinating, potentially alienating, and a film that doesn't really care what the audience thinks.

Thrindle

Anybody ever seen Bastard Out of Carolina?  I was about 14 and my mom and sister and I decided to watch it.  Long story short, my sister and I were hysterical as Jena Malone was being raped.  
Fucking-disgusting-awful-truth-telling-bastard of a scene.
I've never forgotten it.
Classic.

Alethia

umbrellas of cherbourg, i went to sleep very happy that night

Film Student

Movies that fucked me up:

Kids
Gummo
julien donkey-boy
Dogville
Dancer in the Dark
Breaking the Waves
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter