The Lingering Aftereffects of Movies

Started by ono, March 21, 2004, 11:52:32 PM

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: ThrindleThe last movie that kept creeping back into my thoughts was Lost in Translation.  I liked it when I watched it the first time... but I found that for days afterward my appreciation continued to grow.  The sentimental feeling of deep connection in a sea of unknown faces, really rattled me.  It was such a beautiful story, and in a time where the best anyone seems to get is a fuck buddy... I loved the idea an honest match between two people.  Hope...
As much as I hate to start talking about Lost in Translation again, I agree. The first time I saw it I wasn't really wowed by it; I liked it, sure, but I don't think I was totally amazed with it right after walking out. I thought about it and it seemed to come into my memory again like a memory of a nice vacation. The second time I saw it was the time when it floored me.

Anyway, I agree with Mulholland Dr., anyway. I just didn't get it the first time. The second viewing made me realize what was going on in a general way, and then it ruled my life for a few weeks (months?) as I tried to figure it out.

I was always pretty attached to Magnolia (not including the first viewing I had when I was much younger).

I think a good example is Irreversible. It seems to get better each time I think about it.

Myxo

Quote from: themodernage02femme fatale.

The whole film or just the pool table sequence?

;)

samsong

The first time I discovered Wes Anderson, I was disappointed to say the least.  I didn't get Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums on the first viewing (well, couldn't fully comprehend the greatness achieved in those two films at first) but now I absolutely adore them.  Bottle Rocket, I loved the first time I saw it and more with each subsequent viewing which is pretty much the case with all of Anderson's films; i love them to death.

Raging Bull, I first saw when I was 12 and it flew over my head.  I saw it a couple years later at Cal State Long Beach's Widescreen Festival and I left in tears.

Roman Polanski's stuff -- Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby to be exact -- I didn't like at first at all but now I'm deeply in love with those films and the director himself, minus the fact that he's a pedophile.  I love The Tenant as well and am dying to see Knife in the Water.

The Usual Suspects I was blown away by at first but, needless to say, its effects have dissipated since that first viewing.  BUT, I do think it's a good film, definitely a fascinting exercise in genre narrative... it's subtley pulpy and has some great characters.  Intelligently written too.

Vanilla Sky and AI lingered in my mind after seeing them, both of which I hated at first and still hate to this day.  

The excellence of Lawrence of Arabia wasn't evident to me until I saw it at the cinerama dome in Hollywood... one of the best moviegoing experiences of my life.

Dr. Strangelove I found morbidly unfunny and ridiculously boring the first time I saw it... yea, I know.  Now it's one of my very favorite films, possibly my favorite Kubrick.

My attempt at understanding Bunuel at the tender age of 13 failed miserably... Belle de Jour was the film.  Recently revisited it and it's an absolute masterpiece, one of many films I saw in my fling with Bunuel... bought all his movies from Criterion, love all of them.  Diary of a Chambermaid though took a while to sink in.  And just as a sidenote... no one shoots interiors like Bunuel.  Well, maybe Gregg Toland...but Bunuel is a god among filmmakers.

Banky

Vanilla Sky has that lingering affect

Pedro

Quote from: BankyVanilla Sky has that lingering affect
yeah.  that lingering effect of a mediocre film.

samsong

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
Quote from: BankyVanilla Sky has that lingering affect
yeah.  that lingering effect of a mediocre film.

mediocre?  you're being too nice...

Banky

i guess im always part of the minority on this site

Ravi

Quote from: Bankyi guess im always part of the minority on this site

Most people are.

Stefen

Why does everyhing have to be a goddamn racist ordeal in this place?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

I think I forgot Vanilla Sky five seconds after it ended.

ono

Quote from: samsongThe first time I discovered Wes Anderson, I was disappointed to say the least.  I didn't get Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums on the first viewing (well, couldn't fully comprehend the greatness achieved in those two films at first) but now I absolutely adore them.  Bottle Rocket, I loved the first time I saw it and more with each subsequent viewing which is pretty much the case with all of Anderson's films; i love them to death.
Ditto here.  Rushmore just gets better for me each time I see it.  Even though its second act is kinda weak.

Quote from: samsongDr. Strangelove I found morbidly unfunny and ridiculously boring the first time I saw it... yea, I know.  Now it's one of my very favorite films, possibly my favorite Kubrick.
Same here on the initial Strangelove hatred.  I was so incredibly bored first time I saw it.  Thought it was so stupid and unfunny.  Second time around, I got the jokes, and was engaged, though I don't think it's Kubrick's best or anything.  It's an immature work, though it has its insights.

You should post more, though, samsong.  I like reading what you post, and you're a good writer.

NEON MERCURY

...as for films that polarized me for days ......mulholland dr. , the passion of the Christ, pulp fiction,thin red line, and requiem for a dream.....

as for films that didn't hit me til afterwards.....mystic river(i so want this phucker bad on dvd).....and kill bill......

cine

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI think I forgot Vanilla Sky five seconds after it ended.
Vanilla what?

Banky

i swear you guys are some witty mother fuckers

SoNowThen

I enjoyed Vanilla Sky.

Straw Dogs is a film that simmered for a good six years in my head, before I finally watched it again last month, and was blown away.

Almost Famous sucked the first time I saw it, but then the Untitled edition came out, and I gave it another chance, loved it, then re-watched the original again and was floored by it.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.