Kingdom of Heaven

Started by El Duderino, December 23, 2004, 06:07:24 PM

El Duderino

Release Date
May 6, 2005

Director
Ridley Scott

Screenwriter
William Monahan (wrote the upcoming projects: Jurassic Park IV, Infernal Affairs, Tripoli)

Cast
Orlando Bloom (Balian of Ibelin)
Liam Neeson (Godfrey of Ibelin)
Eva Green (Sybilla)
Jeremy Irons (Tiberias)
Brendan Gleeson (Reynald)
Edward Norton (King Baldwin,IV)

Synopsis
KINGDOM OF HEAVEN is an epic adventure about a common man (Orlando Bloom) who finds himself thrust into a decades-long war. A stranger in a strange land, he serves a doomed king, falls in love with an exotic and forbidden queen, and rises to knighthood. Ultimately, he must protect the people of Jerusalem from overwhelming forces – while striving to keep a fragile peace.

Trailer Here
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ultrahip

matt35mm

I'm always very suspicious of writers-for-hire, who write for a producer's project.  They tend to be the go-to guys for big movies because of their lack of originality and ability to stick to the formula.

That said, I don't really know any of this writer's work because most of it seems to have yet to be released.

As far as this trailer goes, I couldn't really grasp much of the story from it.  Eva Green looks absolutely stunning in the few shots she's shown in.  I also find it interesting that large armies have lost their onscreen potency since The Return of the King.  It looks like they're going for quite a "poetic" tone here, too.

I was speaking with a friend today about how Orlando Bloom makes for a good secondary character, but how I don't feel that he can carry a movie as a main character.  Case in point: His "Main Hero" role was completely overshadowed by Johnny Depp's "Secondary Character" role.  Depp's role was originally much smaller, as I recall, but he was given much more screentime after, basically, the filmmakers decided that they wanted more of Depp and less of Bloom.  As it is, Bloom is hardly in the movie anymore.

But anyway, as far as the market value of this movie goes, it doesn't look good.  I don't think that trailer gave many people a reason to watch it.  I think that by the time King Arthur came out, most people were bored with movies like this, so I--pessimistically--predict a domestic bomb (but with international success).

modage

Quote from: El DuderinoBrendan Gleeson
it is now a requirement of epics, they must include a small part for this actor.

"It wouldn't be epic without me!"
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Bethie

Wow. Thank you for that Orlando Bloom pic. Merry Christmas to me.

Quote from: matt35mm
the filmmakers decided that they wanted more of Depp and less of Bloom.

I have also decided that I want more of Depp and less of... wait no, I'd like more of Bloom too.  uh huh.  

*winks*
who likes movies anyway

Sal

It looks like Liam has a show-stopping scene here in the middle of the woods.  I think this will do considerably better than Stone's, even if most of the sandal-and-sword epics have had a consistent run of bad turn outs lately.  This film should ride softly on the heels of Gladiator's success, but the question is if people remember or still give a shit.

Myxo

Quote from: El DuderinoUltimately, he must protect the people of Jerusalem from overwhelming forces – while striving to keep a fragile peace.

Sounds familiar.

©brad

how do they make these epic things so fast?

Myxo

Quote from: ©bradhow do they make these epic things so fast?

Shitloads of money and a target market.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I saw Ridley Scott and thought "All right"

Then I saw "Upcoming Jurassic Park VI" and lost a a bit of interest.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

Quote from: WalrusI saw Ridley Scott and thought "All right"

Then I saw "Upcoming Jurassic Park VI" and lost a a bit of interest.

alexander payne wrote jurassic park 3...
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pedro

JB is going to have a fit after he sees this

Thrindle

Reading mm35mm's (old) post above pretty much said exactly what I was thinking (but not articulate enough to say).

I agree that epic battle scenes have lost their intensity, and after Troy and then that one with what's his name (literally forgot title and actor), I think these movies are done for a while.

Eva Green is the only reason I'd go to see this film.
Classic.

meatball

After seeing the 4-minute trailer, I have zero desire to see this anymore. Too "Follow me into battle because all of this is so dramatic and inspiring."