Kingdom of Heaven

Started by El Duderino, December 23, 2004, 06:07:24 PM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Not that the movie will necessarily be bad, but that is such a terrible trailer.  It's so very obvious that the way its cut and the music used does not fit the tone of the images at all.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: matt35mmand the music used does not fit the tone of the images at all.
Yeah, I heard a rock and roll sounding beat with a Guitar in it too.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Kal

Same thing I thought when I saw it on the theatre the other day. The film may be good, but I cant believe they can do such a horrible trailer. This shows how Hollywood still has no fucking clue of how the market a film. Unless it gets great reviews it will definetly tank!

Finn

I loved the first trailer (particularly towards the end with the music), but the new one really sucks. That's absolutely right that the music doesn't fit any of the images at all. They must've just thrown it together.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

:shock:  It's like a Medieval Times commercial scored by Manheim Steamroller.  :yabbse-lipsrsealed:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

metroshane

I, for one, cannot wait to see how Orlando does in a period film.

Jeez can this dude do anything without a sword and bad accent?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Bethie

Quote from: metroshane
Jeez can this dude do anything without a sword and bad accent?

Ha.         ::raises hand::
who likes movies anyway

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: metroshaneJeez can this dude do anything without a sword and bad accent?

I REALLY hope he doesn't use a sword and a bad accent in Elizabethtown.

(But we never know, since studios will make anything to sell a movie...)
Si

MacGuffin

'Kingdom of Heaven' Sparks Battle

A week before the much-anticipated film "Kingdom of Heaven" opens in theaters, the Crusades-era epic starring Orlando Bloom has sparked another battle.

Acclaimed author and scholar James Reston Jr. claims the film swiped the story line from his 2001 book, "Warriors of God: Richard the Lionheart and Saladin in the Third Crusade."

"The essence of it is that this is a film that is derived from the first 100 pages of my book," Reston told The Associated Press.

Reston would not say whether he planned to sue. "I think that's in the hands of the attorneys," he said.

A spokesman for the studio, 20th Century Fox, said Reston's claims were "baseless and without merit."

Reston, son of former New York Times executive editor James "Scotty" Reston, said producer Mike Medavoy optioned the rights to his book in November 2001 and weeks later sent a letter to Oscar-nominated director Ridley Scott.

The Dec. 12, 2001, letter mentions Reston's book by name and asks Scott to consider a movie based on the characters. "Think 'Lawrence of Arabia' and 'A Man For All Seasons,'" Medavoy writes in the letter, which Reston provided to the AP.

Scott declined Medavoy's pitch, but went on to make "Kingdom of Heaven."

Reston argues that Scott and his screenwriter scuttled their previous historical epic "and miraculously the screenwriter came up with this concept based on 'Warriors of God' in a two-week timeframe."

"They claim they never read the book and that's laughable," Reston said.

Medavoy, who is not involved in the dispute, said Tuesday he has not read the movie script.

"James feels that this violates his book, which at one time we optioned," Medavoy told the AP, adding that he no longer has rights to the book.

"I'm just going to sit back and watch this transpire," he said.

The film, which also features Liam Neeson, opens May 6.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatball

Edward Norton has a role in this.

Ghostboy

But he wears a mask through the whole thing, I think, so I guess it's supposed to be a secret.

Recce

it...was...horrible. I can't begin to express how horrible it it. Its something like 2 h 45 min and it feels like 5. It had the worst editing I have seen in a long time. The story makes no sense whatsoever, there isn't a shred of character development. The action sequences feel trivial, perhaps because its so bad that I couldn't have cared less about the story. Its just aweful. And I know that people sometimes say that but they secretely enjoyed it. That's not the case here. There is not a single thing in thisd film that redeems it. I can't understand what happened. They need to go back and recut the entire film. It felt like they made a five hour cut, then went back and cut it in half, but didn't want to remove any scenes, so they just removed all the little bit of breather moments. The whole thing cuts from one thing to another so quickly you can't even keep up. I spent the whole time trying to figure out if it was some sort of style they were going for, but its too horrible to just be a style. What the hell has Ridley Scott done?

And the music is horribly chosen. Some of it was some sort of rock and roll I don't know what during the action sequences. And they kept cutting to these really horrible slow motion shots, but the really ugly, jumpy kind you get when you shoot video at 30 shutter speed and slow it down. Where did all the money go? The compositing was also pretty horrible. I swear I could see some green spill on orlando bloom during a scene. Mind boggling...just mind boggling. And while they did have the occasional pretty shot, most of the film looked horrible (i know im using that word a lot, but its the only thing that fits). There were ugly, cast shadows on everything, its like they didn't even bother lighting.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Ghostboy

So.

Goddamned.

Boring.

Chrisdarko

HOw does it compare to gladiator?