HULK

Started by modage, June 20, 2003, 02:34:09 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetGladly skipped it and just about every other major movie so far this summer. I am planning to see Pirates of the Carribean though.

Sigh.

Do me a favor... skip "Pirates" and at least see 28 Days, if not Hulk. They are both great movies.

Then we can have a fun debate.

Gold Trumpet

OOOOooooohhhhhh.......promise of a debate. I'll see Hulk then just for that and very soon. I can't see 28 Days Later, it is nowhere near me. Maybe soon it will come within an hour of me, but I have no clue. I'm still seeing Pirates though.

~rougerum

jihem

I went to see The Hulk this afternoon. I mean, it's the only place with airco ;-)

well, to me, even if the film has flaws and downs, it's pure genius at work. Lee takes a story which could be seen as usual comics's style and makes it so special and so wild in many aspects that Lee killed any chances of a sequel here ;-)) only for that we can be grateful to him ! ahahah

lee took his time to get us into the movie, it is ever so sloooow and the main character is slipping down with us. But it's been shot with a love for the grain in the picture, with so much passion in having colors playing with each other, with a real eye for the odd details, and all these split screens (which leave me cold most of the time) were interesting placed... And, without getting into a polemic, some of Nick Nolte phrases against the power of the military can be seen as quite controversial imho...

to me, Lee has succeeded in doing a great, difficult movie and making feel the audience things/experiments  that usually are reserved to  the "cinema d'auteur".

it's a cross over. the dream of every artist.

Pubrick

best movie of the year.

so much green. heaven.
under the paving stones.

©brad

dude this movie rocks.

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI loved this movie. Why did no one else love this movie?

I laughed hysterically when the Hulk started smashing tanks and helicopters. Didn't anyone else think that was deliciously irreverent?

I could NOT get over the transitions and split screens. I ate that stuff up, and it made me very happy.

Much better than Spiderman.

yes yes yes.

to begin.

first off, this isn't a mainstream hollywood action movie, more of an art thing. its no wonder why my little brother hated it.

im watchin the thing right, and in the back of my head i hear ang lee goin "u see, action movies don't have to be stupid. all the flashback stuff was masterfully done (masterfully is a word right?). and the split screen stuff was killer, adding to the whole comic book feel. i do have a question, w/ split screens, how is that done? i would assume that it is all done post-production in the editing room yes? do they just shoot from a bunch of angles and then edit it all together later?

jennifer hottnley, good god... those eyes, the hair, its too good. she's just plain fucking amazing. im so glad she was a main thing in the movie, not just a hot piece of ass side note like the chick in spiderman (who i dont think is that hot)

eric bana- comes correct in a role that no doubt had to be tough to prep for, i mean ur sittin in ur trailer thinkin 'okay im the hulk, how the fuck do i pull that off?'

nick nolte- he's great w/ his voice, it works so fuckin well. theres one shot in the movie when he throws jennifer's scarf thing over the fence to the dogs, its such a beautiful shot. anyway, nolte is good.

overall the movie really shook me up, in a good way. i went in expecting a spiderman cheese comic movie w/ an ang lee twist, whatever that means, but i got sumthing so much more. its killer, go watch if u havent, if u have and u didnt like it go fuck urself.[/b]

bonanzataz

well i guess i'll have to go fuck myself, then. i just didn't see the point. the only good parts were the parts where he is the hulk and the flashback stuff. the exposition and the ending (aka, the remaining two hours of the film) sucked hard balls. for all the time spent on hanging out with the characters, you don't learn a whole lot about them. all they seem to do is work on experiments and bicker with that bitch-dude that wants their company or something (that part didn't even make sense to me, but maybe it's because i just can't remember it). the split screens were show-offy and inappropriate for the most part (there were scenes when somebody would say "hello" and then it would split screen to the other person saying "hello" which got in the way). i could go on and on about that ending and how much i hated it, but i'll leave it at i hated it. to have your protaganist battle an intangible object is so anti-climactic. the audience wants to see the hulk battle his father, not a pond or an electrical charge. the very very end was the worst part. they don't explain what happened to him after the battle, they don't even say how hulk beat his father and if they did i didn't understand it at all. they just show that he's still alive and well and living in south america. baloney. maybe lee would have had something to work with had the script been worked on for more than a day or two, because that's how it seems in the final cut. they had me going for the first 40 minutes or so, but after that, i lost all interest until bana turned green again.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

©brad

Quote from: bonanzatazwell i guess i'll have to go fuck myself, then.

nah dude, ur cool. that was directed to the ppl who dont matter.

Mesh

If they do a second chapter, should Ang Lee direct again?  If "No," who do you think would do a better job and why?

bonanzataz

i should've signed that last post "~rougerum." i get belligerent and nonsensical at 2 in the morning...

i still didn't really like the movie though...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

why does he have to wear those purple pants?

its so you dont see his hulkdork.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

markums2k

Quote from: ©bradi do have a question, w/ split screens, how is that done? i would assume that it is all done post-production in the editing room yes? do they just shoot from a bunch of angles and then edit it all together later?

No.  They shoot it all at the same time, with several cameras, on the same piece of film.  It's special film that is able to run through all the cameras at the same time.  Silmilar to the process they use for the smash hit TV show, 24.  See, they actually film the entire hour in one take.  You can't just edit an hour's worth of footage together and expect the same effect now can you?

Now I see who the target audience is for this movie.  That Hulk doll with the green weiner could direct the next 'chapter' and it wouldn't make any difference.

Pubrick

Quote from: markums2kNow I see who the target audience is for this movie.  That Hulk doll with the green weiner could direct the next 'chapter' and it wouldn't make any difference.
this coming from a McTiernan fan.. shit.

i know the hulk is a great film that will be appreciated more once the comic craze is over, i know this. such a misunderstood creature. :cry:
under the paving stones.

markums2k

Quote from: P
Quote from: markums2kNow I see who the target audience is for this movie.  That Hulk doll with the green weiner could direct the next 'chapter' and it wouldn't make any difference.
this coming from a McTiernan fan.. shit.

Yeah, knowing that, I would think you'd expect my double standards and unfair, biased opinions.   At least to some degree.  :-D

Rock on, P.  If the hunky mass of green turns you on, more power to ya.

modage

The Hulk (DVD): New shots from the DVD menu are now up at DVD Answers and reveal some of the extras we can expect to see on the film's eventual disc release. Along with a commentary track by Director Ang Lee, there's a collection of deleted scenes and eight featurettes. Amongst these behind-the-scenes bits there's looks at Ang Lee, the film's editing style, a closer look at the dog fight sequence, various pieces on the film's pre-production evolution, and the oddly named "Hulk Cam: Inside the Rage". Capping it off are some biographies & DVD-Rom content - no word on whether ths is a one or two disc release either as yet.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Title: The Hulk
Starring: Eric Bana
Released: 28th October 2003
SRP: $26.98

Further Details
Universal Home Video have now released the official details on the region one release of The Hulk starring Eric Bana. As expected the disc will be available to own from the 28th October this year and will arrive in seperate 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen editions. Both of these will retail at around $26.98 each. We'll bring you the official artwork as soon as it arrives. You can also take a look at menu shots from the disc by refering to the related article below. For now though here are the full specs:

Disc One
-English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track
-French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track
-Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track
-Audio Commentary with Director Ang Lee
-Hulk Cam: Inside the Rage Featurette
-Superhero Revealed: The Anatomy of the Hulk Featurette
-Various Deleted Scenes
-Cast and Filmmaker Bios

Disc Two
-Hulkification Featurette
-Evolution of The Hulk Featurette
-The Incredible Ang Lee Featurette
-The Making of Hulk Featurette
-The Dog Fight Scene
-Ang Lee Editing Style
-DVD-ROM Features