HULK

Started by modage, June 20, 2003, 02:34:09 AM

modage

daredevil was a disaster on par with "Batman and Robin".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02daredevil was a disaster on par with "Batman and Robin".

I don't think that is fair.  I really can't understand how people disliked Daredevil so much and at the same time praised Spider-man.  I liked them both, probably Daredevil more so.  I agree the soundtrack was horrible among other flaws, but still an entertaining film.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Banky

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: themodernage02daredevil was a disaster on par with "Batman and Robin".

I don't think that is fair.  I really can't understand how people disliked Daredevil so much and at the same time praised Spider-man.  I liked them both, probably Daredevil more so.  I agree the soundtrack was horrible among other flaws, but still an entertaining film.

Agree with Shaftr,
Shut the hell up alright nothing is on the same level as Batman and Robin

Derek

Quote from: rudieob
Quote from: DerekSPOILERS

is it nessary to have 4 different angles of helicopters flying across the desert?

do you read comic books?  this is how a panel would look in a comic book.  i loved the helicopters scene.

Do you have to be a smartass? Yeah, I used to read alot of comics, but I didn't need 4 angles of the same action.

What I would have loved is to see Banner hulk out and at the same time seeing everyone else's reaction to it using the split screen.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

polkablues

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I vastly preferred "Daredevil" to "Spider-Man".
My house, my rules, my coffee

dufresne

just saw it tonight and i was pleasantly surprised.
There are shadows in life, baby.

Sleuth

It was okay I guess.  I hated the first 25 or so minutes
I like to hug dogs

oakmanc234

Just saw it tonight. Nice piece of work. I liked how arthouse it was at times. The split screens were very innovative (it must have been a pain in the ass to edit).

The FX bug me though, at times they were plain awesome, at times they were cartoonish. If 'The Hulk' should've hit a home-run with anything, it should've been the FX. Usually its the film that sucks but the FX are good ('Batman & Robin') and sometimes the FX AND the film suck ('Daredevil').

At least 'The Hulk' was a quality picture. I didn't really feel anything for the characters and the end was incredibly weak but there was enough high points for me to say it was great.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

bonanzataz

Quote from: oakmanc234I didn't really feel anything for the characters and the end was incredibly weak but there was enough high points for me to say it was great.

I agree with you here, but leaving the theater going, "what the hell was the ending" left me with a sour taste in my mouth. THUMBS DOWN!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Vivian Darkbloom

I really can't understand why people say this movie is better than spiderman since it has really nothing to do with this movie. Spiderman was pure comic-book joy in the way Darkman was. I just thought Hulk took itself way too seriously to an extent that almost tones down every bit of action. I agree that The Hulk comic book reads almost like an illustration of Freud theories but did they really need to explain it to us so hard ? I mean, at times I was just amazed at the way Ang Lee litteraly ruins every concept of the movie by pointing it so repeatedly (like in the scene where Banner plays as a kid with a dinosaur doll and we are treated of a really long close up of the doll PLUS a nice line like "Look how cute he is playing with is green monster").
And while I was really trying hard to care for the characters and the story, I could'n help myself but thinking : "Why on earth did they have to make all thos ugly looking split-screens ?" Don't get me wrong, as a huge De Palma fan I love the slip-screens. But here they just don't work : There are too many of them, they don't use it in a proper way and most of all, it just looks more like a gimmick to tell the fans : "Don"t worry, THIS IS a comic book movie. Otherwise why would it have all these ugly Panels ?"
Look at the way Shyamalan created the same effect with subtlety in Unbreakable. I'm not trying to convince anyone here, just to express my opinion. (If you disagree, please share...)
And by the way, Daredevil was really not that bad...

Mesh

Quote from: Vivian DarkbloomDon't get me wrong, as a huge De Palma fan I love the slip-screens. But here they just don't work : There are too many of them, they don't use it in a proper way and most of all, it just looks more like a gimmick to tell the fans : "Don"t worry, THIS IS a comic book movie. Otherwise why would it have all these ugly Panels ?"

Let's all imagine for a second how mind-numbingly dull the non-"Hulk Smash!" scenes in this film would've been had they not been creatively edited and split-screened.....

Zzzzz......Zzzzzzzz........HULK SMASH!......ZZZzzzzzzzzzzz.....

OK, you can wake up now.....Nick Nolte's absorbed a whole town's electricity and, boy, is he pissed.

Whispered theory: Ang Lee finished principal photography, knew his coverage was grass-growing dull, and set about tossing in as many scene transition tricks and dizzying 2D editing baloney ("It's like comic panels, dude!") as he could come up with.....He's too good a director not to realize the bulk of his expository scenes were snooooooze material....

bonanzataz

they should've really worked on that script before they shot it, because man, if the hulk wasn't beating something up, i felt like tearing my hair out. i don't like how people on this board are going, it's a superhero movie with real emotion and character development. IT'S NOT! JUST BECAUSE IT'S BORING DOESN'T MAKE IT INTERESTING!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Vivian Darkbloom

O.K. If you think stretching a gimmick to the limits is creative, then you might be right. But a split screen is supposed to have a purpose : for instance, giving you another point of view of the scene or putting two completely different shots/concepts together. I didn't feel like all these split-screens had any other purpose than just giving the audience some moving images to distract their eyes and use as a decoy to make them forget the complete emptiness of all the exposition scenes : the characters seem to be talking about interesting stuff but since they're not, I'm just gonna nulb you with all these ugly moving shots in order to pretend something is actually happening. NOTHING HAPPENS. And the worst part is : the composition is, most of the time, really ugly. The addition of these shots doesn't create any emotion, any meaning and sometimes just looks like Steve Jobs presenting the new I-MAC to his partners...

Gold Trumpet

Vivian should post more.........

I can't give any opinion on the movie. Gladly skipped it and just about every other major movie so far this summer. I am planning to see Pirates of the Carribean though. Months before the movie comes out, I am excited. Then a week before, I am numbed because of overload of bad word on each movie. So many movies, so little money. I did hear though that Hulk did a lot of "Smashing" in the film. Good job.

~rougerum

modage

"The Hulk" will be out on DVD on October 28th.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.