The Ladykillers

Started by modage, June 12, 2003, 05:10:18 PM

kotte

Oh, I'm waiting for To The White Sea...

If they don't make it I will kill myself...head in oven. Quick and painful.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: kotteOh, I'm waiting for To The White Sea...

You'll, like, beat your head into the oven? Care to sell tickets for the show?
Si

cine

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum

That would make for the most surreal Xixax reunion ever.

Mr. BK: Who's the guy with his head in the oven?
GDIDM: That's Kotte.
Mr. BK: Oh. Reminds me of a burger I had once...
GDIDM: Have you ever had someone in your anus?

Etc.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum

That would make for the most surreal Xixax reunion ever.

Mr. BK: Who's the guy with his head in the oven?
GDIDM: That's Kotte.
Mr. BK: Oh. Reminds me of a burger I had once...
GDIDM: Have you ever had someone in your anus?

Etc.

LOL.

MUTNYCO: I hate him banging his head on the oven as much as I hate Scorsese!
ShanghaiOrange:  :(
Si

Weak2ndAct

*Insert banned member here*: The admins are behind this!

Pubrick

Banky: You know what's better than this guy? Jersey Girl, opening March 26, check your local listings.
under the paving stones.

ElPandaRoyal

Si

Just Withnail

Which would lead to MacGuffin redirecting to the Jersey Girl thread.

ElPandaRoyal

In which thread I bet is a mention to Kevin Smith hating Magnolia.
Si

godardian

I just saw this tonight.

:(

or even

:cry:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Just Withnail

Aww, come on? Really bad? Or was it just really sad? Please just say it was really sad. I can't stand the thought of a Coen bros film that makes people weep without being sad...

kotte

I still think they are bying themself room to make To The White Sea.

Fishbulb

I saw it too. I didn't think it was bad. It was entertaining. I didn't feel like my life was being wasted while I watched it. It's beautifully shot and has some funny performances. It's just "bad" when you compare it to other Coen Brothers movies. It's on a par with Intolerable Cruelty. It had the same problems as IC did, which is that it seems like the Coens are trying to become more "crowd-pleasing", which they really shouldn't. They should just do their own thing. Hanks's character was a prototypical Coen Bros. character, his dialogue is great- the long, flowery speeches that he is given. But then you had characters like J. K. Simmons (who existed only to supply bathroom humor- probably my least favorite type of humor in a movie), and Marlon Wayans who plays himself basically.
Incidentally, the R rating for the movie is entirely due to Marlon's profanity-laded dialogue, which was really unnecessary. Cursing can be funny if done right (witness Lebowski's "This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass" scene), but this just seemed extraneous. So yeah, an entertaining enough movie, but certainly not wonderful.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: kotte

Oh...

Quote from: godardianI just saw this tonight.

:(
or even

Oh my...
Si

godardian

Quote from: FishbulbIt's just "bad" when you compare it to other Coen Brothers movies. It's on a par with Intolerable Cruelty. It had the same problems as IC did, which is that it seems like the Coens are trying to become more "crowd-pleasing"

A few impoverished eccentricities, some visuals and structural symmetry... other than that, might as well be a really bad UPN sitcom.

They didn't write Intolerable Cruelty. The minds that wrote Barton Fink and Fargo and Man Who Wasn't There actually wrote this...  :cry:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.