me and you and everyone we know

Started by noyes, May 29, 2005, 10:14:41 PM

hedwig

spoils.

i love it.

i'd like to add my thoughts on a few of the things brought up in Mr Pubricko's review. the description of the film's central idea as "the immersion of art in the everyday world" is dead-on. the sidewalk conversation, the scene where she writes "fuck" on her windshield, etc. she approaches her life the way she approaches her artwork; they're the same. it's a strong reflection of july as an artist and as a person. the ending where the painting is cradled in the branches is the most obviously symbolic depiction of this idea but, in addition to the way the characters act (the hand-burning) another symbolic representation of the life/art idea is the way the film begins and ends: it begins with a photograph of a sunrise.. it ends, similarly, with an actual rising sun.

also, the performances are brilliant and many of the scenes are quite hilarious.

w/o horse

Quote from: Hedwig on November 25, 2005, 08:56:39 PM
spoils.

i love it.

i'd like to add my thoughts on a few of the things brought up in Mr Pubricko's review. the description of the film's central idea as "the immersion of art in the everyday world" is dead-on. the sidewalk conversation, the scene where she writes "fuck" on her windshield, etc. she approaches her life the way she approaches her artwork; they're the same. it's a strong reflection of july as an artist and as a person. the ending where the painting is cradled in the branches is the most obviously symbolic depiction of this idea but, in addition to the way the characters act (the hand-burning) another symbolic representation of the life/art idea is the way the film begins and ends: it begins with a photograph of a sunrise.. it ends, similarly, with an actual rising sun.

also, the performances are brilliant and many of the scenes are quite hilarious.

I really like this review and now want to watch the movie again.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

ono

I saw this movie a few days ago, and it made me smile.  It'll go down in history with those movies like The Ice Storm that underline the beauty, fragility, and awkwardness of sexuality, especially that of young minds.  It's awkward in some places, a little too on the nose, but it can be forgiven because it's sincere.  All first films have their kinks, but July has promise.  She'll make something amazing someday.  This is a promise of that, and finally, we have another female filmmaker who's worth watching.  Nothing much else to say right now, but I'm confident that multiple viewings will be more rewarding.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Hedwig on November 25, 2005, 08:56:39 PM
spoils.

i love it.

My teacher said the same thing and it too made me want to watch this again. I must've seen it in the wrong mindset. maybe it'll play better on a small screen.
WWPTAD?

SHAFTR

I don't think I've ever found myself in so much agreement with P.

The slight break between "reality" and "reality as represented" creates an awkwardness that works beautifully.  That break is what is explored and so much about humanity/relationships/art/love/etc is shown.  I don't think it is fair to call it pretentious since there is so much heart in the film.

I understand what some of you are saying when you talk about the indie formulas, but I don't really have a problem with it.  The film stands on it's own, regardless of formulas it may or may not use.  As long as it doesn't become predictable, i'm fine with films using established formulas.  It doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be great.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

JG

the more i think about it...this film is a lot smarter than most indie films.  and it has a lot more heart, something completely lacking from the "indie formula"

i'm gonna need to see it again, with this theme that you guys discuss in mind.  i don't know if i exactly get what your saying, but still...

maybe i'll ask it for christmas.  how's the DVD?

modage

Quote from: JimmyGator on December 09, 2005, 02:30:24 PMhow's the DVD?
dont get it.  shes coming out with a Director approved version soon with a better cover and good extras.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

cowboykurtis

Quote from: modage on December 09, 2005, 02:45:23 PM
Quote from: JimmyGator on December 09, 2005, 02:30:24 PMhow's the DVD?
dont get it.  shes coming out with a Director approved version soon with a better cover and good extras.

from Ms. July herself re: the new dvd:

"I should perhaps emphasize that this new DVD will not be made until the first hundred thousand DVDs are sold. Which sounds like kind of a lot to me. So don't think: "Well, I'll let those other people buy the first hundred thousand, I'll just wait for the next batch."  Because if you are reading this right now then you are the core constituency, you are the 100 thousand. This is not nearly as important as, say, voting, but it utilizes similar muscles. By the time elections roll around your sense that you can make a difference will be strong and ready to go make that difference."

...your excuses are your own...

modage

thats FUCKED UP with a capital F.  so the 100,000 people who care enough about the movie to buy it are being coerced to buy it twice.  Rick Sands LOVES this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

is this fo real?

is there any clue as to what will be on that DVD?  probably a commentary.

Man, I'm not buying another copy.  I'll rent the new copy.  But still.  :yabbse-angry:

ono

Just like Eternal Sunshine.  Glad I haven't bought my copy yet.  You'd think someone like July would realize it's not good to fuck over your fanbase.  No point whining about it.  If I were anyone who'd bought the original DVD, I'd go ahead and sell it now and wait for the good version.

Of course, this is coming from someone who's still waiting for that 21 Grams special edition.  Anyone remember that movie?

MacGuffin

Quote from: onomabracadabra on December 10, 2005, 02:44:43 PMOf course, this is coming from someone who's still waiting for that 21 Grams special edition.  Anyone remember that movie?

That DVD is coming out at the same time as the full Kill Bill edition.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 10, 2005, 02:58:41 PM
Quote from: onomabracadabra on December 10, 2005, 02:44:43 PMOf course, this is coming from someone who's still waiting for that 21 Grams special edition.  Anyone remember that movie?

That DVD is coming out at the same time as the full Kill Bill edition.

or the adaptation SE dvd.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: onomabracadabra on December 10, 2005, 02:44:43 PM
Of course, this is coming from someone who's still waiting for that 21 Grams special edition.  Anyone remember that movie?
yes,  i too am STILL WAITING.