me and you and everyone we know

Started by noyes, May 29, 2005, 10:14:41 PM

Figure 8

Quote from: onomabracadabra on December 10, 2005, 02:44:43 PM
Just like Eternal Sunshine.
There is (was?) a two disc version of that out...

Ravi

Just like Eternal Sunshine.  Glad I haven't bought my copy yet.  You'd think someone like July would realize it's not good to fuck over your fanbase.  No point whining about it.  If I were anyone who'd bought the original DVD, I'd go ahead and sell it now and wait for the good version.

Sony is notorious for double-dipping on DVDs.  I doubt this is July's evil doings.

ono

modage

Quote from: cowboykurtis on December 10, 2005, 01:47:29 PM
Quote from: modage on December 09, 2005, 02:45:23 PM
Quote from: JimmyGator on December 09, 2005, 02:30:24 PMhow's the DVD?
dont get it.  shes coming out with a Director approved version soon with a better cover and good extras.

from Ms. July herself re: the new dvd:

"I should perhaps emphasize that this new DVD will not be made until the first hundred thousand DVDs are sold. Which sounds like kind of a lot to me. So don't think: "Well, I'll let those other people buy the first hundred thousand, I'll just wait for the next batch."  Because if you are reading this right now then you are the core constituency, you are the 100 thousand. This is not nearly as important as, say, voting, but it utilizes similar muscles. By the time elections roll around your sense that you can make a difference will be strong and ready to go make that difference."

she's encouraging people to purchase the crappy version cause that's the only way sony will put out the good version.  i understsand where shes coming from, she wants to get the good version OUT THERE, but i still think that sucks.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

"i think shes a stupid bitch..i want to stab her to death and play around w/her blood"

-patrick bateman

Pubrick

You'd think someone like July would realize it's not good to fuck over your fanbase.
uh did you read the quote cowboykurtis posted? she had no control over the first release, she's been given control over the second one BEACUSE she cares about her fanbase.
under the paving stones.

ono

Quote from: cowboykurtis on December 10, 2005, 01:47:29 PM
Quote from: modage on December 09, 2005, 02:45:23 PM
Quote from: JimmyGator on December 09, 2005, 02:30:24 PMhow's the DVD?
dont get it.  shes coming out with a Director approved version soon with a better cover and good extras.

from Ms. July herself re: the new dvd:

"I should perhaps emphasize that this new DVD will not be made until the first hundred thousand DVDs are sold. Which sounds like kind of a lot to me. So don't think: "Well, I'll let those other people buy the first hundred thousand, I'll just wait for the next batch."  Because if you are reading this right now then you are the core constituency, you are the 100 thousand. This is not nearly as important as, say, voting, but it utilizes similar muscles. By the time elections roll around your sense that you can make a difference will be strong and ready to go make that difference."
She's telling her fanbase they are the core audience, and in order to get past that hump the first 100,000 DVDs entail, they have to fork over the cash or else THEY won't see a SE.  That's fucked.

NEON MERCURY

...i saw this last week and i have to admit that this film lived up to the xixax hype...after broken flowers and junebug i though tyou guys have failed me but..damn, this was really special....unique and beautiful....

and this review is perfect and make sme enjoy the film even more..

Quote from: Hedwig on November 25, 2005, 08:56:39 PM
spoils.

i love it.

i'd like to add my thoughts on a few of the things brought up in Mr Pubricko's review. the description of the film's central idea as "the immersion of art in the everyday world" is dead-on. the sidewalk conversation, the scene where she writes "fuck" on her windshield, etc. she approaches her life the way she approaches her artwork; they're the same. it's a strong reflection of july as an artist and as a person. the ending where the painting is cradled in the branches is the most obviously symbolic depiction of this idea but, in addition to the way the characters act (the hand-burning) another symbolic representation of the life/art idea is the way the film begins and ends: it begins with a photograph of a sunrise.. it ends, similarly, with an actual rising sun.

also, the performances are brilliant and many of the scenes are quite hilarious.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I just saw this last night and it's now my favorite of 2005.

I loved how it seamlessly wove in and out of the storylines of each character.  Everything in the movie just felt right.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye