me and you and everyone we know

Started by noyes, May 29, 2005, 10:14:41 PM

noyes

south america's my name.

w/o horse

PM me that shit and post the answer to my question.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Ghostboy

It just opened in NY, LA and Chicago last week and is currently expanding. The release, that is.

Two Lane Blacktop

An interview with Miranda July at The Onion AV Club.

2LB
Body by Guinness

modage

saw it tonite at the IFC Center.  10.75, DAMN!  anyway, it was good/okay, i thought.  a lot of good little moments in a movie that wasnt interested in being very narrative or having much of a story.  which is fine, but when i felt the movie approaching its end, i felt like after all the character building, i wanted a little more.  it would've been a good tv show, like a more adult 'adventures of pete and pete' or something.  this could've been the pilot.  it really felt more like an introduction because it was so open-ended.  so, i enjoyed myself but not as much as most of you did/will.  if you think you will love it, you probably will.  if you're skeptical, you may not.  also: i did not get at all why he made her get out of the car.

the best part...

)) <> ((
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

imawombat

i really loved this movie (which is something i haven't  been able to say in awhile).

oh, and i appreciated all of the interesting stuff she did visually(probably due to her being a performance artist)...
these things do happen

pete

just saw it.  it was a lot funnier than I thought, but still a lot of the audience members laughed at the "wrong" spots and it was kinda annoying.  I was really into it.  and I also really liked even though it was like a sensitive feel good movie about human connection and things of that nature, it also pushed the envelopes in a way it's not just to make a point or to shock people, and it was cool.  I haven't seen explicit content that fitted a film so well in a long time now.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

noyes

Quote from: imawombati really loved this movie (which is something i haven't  been able to say in awhile).

oh, and i appreciated all of the interesting stuff she did visually(probably due to her being a performance artist)...

where'd you find that photo of paul anderson? if that is him.
south america's my name.

w/o horse

I love it once and don't like it twice.  On the one hand it was honest and original, but on the other hand it was little else.  I feel the same way about this movie as I do Garden State:  I want to see the second movie before I make a call.

I'll tell you though, when the movie ended I did not want to leave the theater.  For me it was just getting good and then it was over.  Repeat viewings may prove to be richer experiences.

It didn't remind me of a Solondz film except for Miranda July's voice sounds like Jane Adams' voice.

It's almost aggravating to me, and there is where a bias might set in, because you (the general kind) go and watch this movie and you feel such empathy and passion but then you leave the theater and pass these people and don't want to talk to them.  I just want to yell at the screen, "Grow up" and then I just want the screen to yell back "Never."  I want the screen to win.  I really do.

To me, and this is speaking as an outcast, whatever kind of outcast, at least a recluse, these kind of indie movies are becoming formulaic.  Anti-Hollywood movies, yes, but still formulaic.  That's why I can't help but hold back on the accolades, because I can't tell if it's me that needs to grow up or these movies I keep seeing.

Still, I didn't want to leave the theater.  That doesn't happen often, you know.  I want to see it again and see how I feel.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Pubrick

Quote from: Losing the Horse:these kind of indie movies are becoming formulaic.
which ones in particular are u talking about? cos it seems to me, as sumone who hasn't seen this movie, that it's a personal sort of piece. so what about this movie and others like it are making them "formulaic".. is it simply that they are all NOT formulaic, breaking form etc? don't bother if it involves spoilers, i assume it shouldn't.

i'm just grateful that indie movies at least are still not as shit boring as indie music.
under the paving stones.

w/o horse

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: Losing the Horse:these kind of indie movies are becoming formulaic.
which ones in particular are u talking about? cos it seems to me, as sumone who hasn't seen this movie, that it's a personal sort of piece. so what about this movie and others like it are making them "formulaic".. is it simply that they are all NOT formulaic, breaking form etc? don't bother if it involves spoilers, i assume it shouldn't.

i'm just grateful that indie movies at least are still not as shit boring as indie music.

Oddball characters, with a mix of sexual frustrations, difficulties growing up or fitting in, or esoteric tastes, usually loners.  Cheery music and fresh colors.

Prime examples:  Punch-Drunk Love, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Garden State, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Napoleon Dynamite, I Heart Huckabees, Me and You And Everyone We Know, Bottle Rocket, Sideways, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Nói, Donnie Darko, Secretary.

You could probably take out some of those, add more, change it up whatever depending on your tastes and attitude, but the point is there.

We're in the Harold and Maude time of film, where the creepy loners are celebrated.  At first it was fresh and exciting, but now I'm just wondering which films are going to rise to the top and last.  There's a lot of really fucking good films being made like this, but it also seems a bit easy now, there is definitely a demographic being hit with these movies.

RegularKarate

I very mildly agree with Losing the Horse.  I think he's wrong about the movies that he listed, I think they have little to do with eachother and none of them are as bad as Garden State.

This movie, however doesn't really get much further than "quirky characters doing quirky shit".  

Don't get me wrong, this is one of the better movies to come out this year... it's a relief after all the crap I've seen... it's just that I can't find anything more there... just a bunch of nice moments with the typical out of the ordinary characters you find in a good indie flick.

It's executed far better than Garden State.  Garden State was trying to be a movie like this, but didn't quite pull it off.  This movie pulls it off and there are some awesome moments.

w/o horse

Quote from: RegularKarateI very mildly agree with Losing the Horse.  I think he's wrong about the movies that he listed, I think they have little to do with eachother and none of them are as bad as Garden State.

This movie, however doesn't really get much further than "quirky characters doing quirky shit".  

Don't get me wrong, this is one of the better movies to come out this year... it's a relief after all the crap I've seen... it's just that I can't find anything more there... just a bunch of nice moments with the typical out of the ordinary characters you find in a good indie flick.

It's executed far better than Garden State.  Garden State was trying to be a movie like this, but didn't quite pull it off.  This movie pulls it off and there are some awesome moments.

I felt I should make a list so I wouldn't be being vague, but I knew that invariably the list was going to take away from the argument.  All of those movies are, for better or worse, part of what dulled the impact of Me and You and Everyone We Know.  How similar they are to each other is slight.  Agreed.

They're definitely all oddball character movies, but they're such different kinds of oddball character movies that the list seems too forced together.

But yeah.  You see what I'm saying still.

I don't think Me and You And Everyone We Know is especially similar to Garden State, I just brought up Garden State because it's also a first time movie that will speak louder or softer depending on what comes after it from the filmmaker.  Although Garden State is probably doomed.

killafilm

Just having the dude from Deadwood has me sold(at least to check it out).  Added bonus is that I only have to drive 10 minutes to see it.