Mad Men

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 21, 2008, 12:51:38 AM

Brando

I really enjoyed the episode. It was a great set up for a season of Mad Men's slow burn but then I remembered there's only 7 episodes this season.

No need to reiterate what California has symbolized to the show, it's characters and for Don but it now seems California is no longer what it used to be to Don. Don looked liked he was in black and white while everything else in California look like it was in full color like Megan's new TV. 

I laughed out loud when I saw Pete. Did Pete really look like a hippie or is Don just old?

I loved the scene on the plane. It was Mad Men at its best. Don had some great lines. It ended great with Don turning her down and then opening a shade.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

squints

Quote from: Brando on April 14, 2014, 09:21:03 PM
I laughed out loud when I saw Pete. Did Pete really look like a hippie or is Don just old?

I think he meant he was "sounding" like a hippie, what with the whole
""the city's flat and ugly, the air is brown, but i love the vibrations"

Pete is inventing yuppie.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Brando

Quote from: squints on April 14, 2014, 09:44:54 PM
Quote from: Brando on April 14, 2014, 09:21:03 PM

I think he meant he was "sounding" like a hippie, what with the whole
""the city's flat and ugly, the air is brown, but i love the vibrations"

Pete is inventing yuppie.

If I'm remembering right, Don's response to that line was something close to "Not only do you look like a hippie but you sound like one too." 

I was wondering if I took right as a subtle jab at Don's age. Pete is not a hippie but I'm sure someone at a certain age around that time could mistake him for one.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Drenk

A caricature of themselves? Well, Pete and Kenny, if you just look at them, seem very different from who they were. I liked the premiere a lot, the rhythm felt odd, and kind of off, but the ending saved everything. I love Mad Men.
Ascension.

Drenk

Seriously. Sally Draper is the best.
Ascension.

©brad

She really is. What a good episode. That ending made me teary eyed! Dare I suggest it was a small step forward to a redemption of sorts for Don? They played it perfectly. I loved how Sally didn't turn back when she walked into the school. It was emotional but not sentimental.

One issue I have is the whole merger and continued power struggles between Cutler Gleason and Chaough and SCDP isn't that interesting to me. The stakes just aren't there and the whole feud last season between Ted, a mopey and ultimately unremarkable character, and Don didn't carry much weight. When the show is on our lead characters, I'm happy.

polkablues

"Of course she has plans. Check her calendar... 'February 14th - masturbate gloomily.'"

This show has a weird reputation for being dour, but when it's funny, it's really goddamn funny.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

Oh man totally. It shows that Matt Weiner is really a comedy writer (he did start out writing on comedy sitcoms).

My other favorite line was "Hard to believe your cat had the money."

diggler

Lou is such a boob, I love it. They wanted the anti-Don and they went too far.

That diner scene was so good. At it's heart, the show is really about those two. I loved how he made her laugh at the end, Don Draper can charm his way out of anything but only Dick Whitman can charm Sally.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Drenk

A fun gif of Cooper seeing Dawn at the front of the office.

Ascension.

Pozer

Drenk

What a great episode. And the actors are at the top of their game. Moss is perfect. I love reading the recaps of Mad Men, there are great ones; they impress me because, as you can see, I can only write: What a great episode.

Unfortunately, the torrent gods are cutting the end credits of the episodes of Mad Men - and not the other shows - because they want you to leave you angry at the end. They're following the philosophy of AMC. I tried to find a way to buy the episode, but you have to be american or wait months before you can eventually buy your seven episodes for 30 $. (Just posting to complain, yes.)
Ascension.

Brando

I loved how the episode ended. It was brilliant to have him sitting around and to see everyone's reactions. Peggy is cold.

Don has always been one that could see the writing on the wall before anyone else. He could see it and accept it while others would choose to ignore it.

I think He's realized what Peggy is choosing to ignore. Peggy is fighting to create inspiring work but doesn't realize the agency isn't interested in that anymore. The reason the agency isn't interested is because the clients are no longer interested. It was brought up in the partners meeting about how most of the clients don't like the Clio awards.

Don has realized the 60s are ending and with that the world of Mad Men is ending. The world of Mad Men where men drink on the job, drink too much, sleep around, create inspiring work is over. Cosgrove is nostalgic remembering the carrousel pitch from season 1. It's a different era now. The episode ends with Don given an offer of to accept he's in a different era or reject it. I love how easily he says yes. 

Oh Betty.

Quote from: Drenk on April 28, 2014, 02:32:54 AM
buy your seven episodes for 30 $. (Just posting to complain, yes.)

The price of digital downloads and digital rentals are way overpriced. I can pay $38.99 for the digital episodes of season 3 of Game of Thrones or pay $6 more for blu rays with all the extras.

Do they even still do digital rentals? I remember having to pay $2 to rent one episode of Lost. I could have gone to Blockbuster and rent an entire season of a show for $5.99 to $7.99. 

I always thought it would have been a good idea for HBO to allow people to preorder a show on Blu Ray then give them access to that show on HBO go until the blu ray is released.  I would preorder season 4 of GOT on blu ray if it allowed me access to watch it right now on HBO Go.

©brad

The scene between Don and Roger in the hotel room was great, as were the final moments, but the harshness Joan and Peggy showed Don seemed completely out of character. This is the guy that started the new agency and is the main reason both women are where they are.  I understand Peggy would feel irked about the whole Ted thing but come on, her relationship with him was never going to work. Peggy would still be a secretary if it wasn't for Don. As for Joan, Don is the one guy who has stood by her and never reduced her to a sexual servant. And that scene with the partners debating their options was clunky as hell. How is it they weren't all on the same page in regards to the legal ramifications of Don's contract and what "paid leave" actually meant?

Drenk

Don fired Jaguar, so Joan did what she did for nothing, and the company couldn't go public or something. Then Don couldn't stop fucking things up. Joan has nothing against Don. She has something against Don working with them. As she says, it is working without him. Yes, they aren't creative, just okay, but at least the company isn't in danger. She's thinking about his son. Nothing out of character.

Peggy doesn't want Don back. She's already underestimated with Lou, she doesn't need someone else above her. Remember where she was one season ago in Ted's firm! She's bitter. And she tried to show she has power. She doesn't really has power.

I don't think it's out of character at all.
Ascension.