Mad Men

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 21, 2008, 12:51:38 AM

my god what a beautiful episode.
i think peggy's reaction to ginsberg was maybe some of the best acting i have ever seen. dude, just look at her face. that was crazy.
i'm rewatching the series from episode one, with my mom, who has never seen it before. it was her call. and i'm watching it alongside this current season. this is a truly remarkable show, a work of art.

Drenk

Quote from: 03 on May 12, 2014, 04:05:45 AM
my god what a beautiful episode.
i think peggy's reaction to ginsberg was maybe some of the best acting i have ever seen. dude, just look at her face. that was crazy.
i'm rewatching the series from episode one, with my mom, who has never seen it before. it was her call. and i'm watching it alongside this current season. this is a truly remarkable show, a work of art.

Elisabeth Moss is offering her best work on the show yet, isn't she? I just want to throw Emmys at her. The rage, the frustration, the shame, the joy to be Don's boss, the "WTF" faces. Her face when Ginsberg was brought out of the office literally broke my heart. This office is so sad. SO SAD.

It must be weird to see the difference between season 1 and season 7, it looks like another lifetime.

Ascension.

its amazing actually. to see basketful of kisses peggy, and then go straight to this shit.
and just to let everyone know, don't listen to npr, apparently they interviewed someone mad men relate recently and they let out a horrible spoiler.

ps: this show is pretty infamous for its sexual content, but tonights episode was hands down their best.

Drenk

Freddie Rumsen is the one who discovers Peggy, not Don. It's great to see him in the final season. Ah, the basketful of kisses. Sweet memories.
Ascension.

Drenk

SPOILERS THE RUNAWAYS

Internet is a weird place.

Ascension.

i know that shit is going to be common knowledge very soon, but spoilers man come on!

©brad

I don't know how but this show can be more unnerving than some of the most intense episodes of Breaking Bad. There's this impending doom oozing out of every frame that's downright scary at times. I love it.

tpfkabi

SPOILERS

It went to the extremes of titillation - wife approved three-way
and horror - self nipple removal - all in one episode.
Throw in Lou trying to write a comic strip a la Beetle Bailey.

Did anyone think the neice was going to bring back the Manson Family stuff?
I was thinking when the neice got there and Megan was closing the door, that some creepy dude would push it open and be like Charles Manson.
I guess it leaves the possibility open though.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Brando

SPOILERS

Ginsberg being wheeled out on the stretcher yelling "Get out while you can!", Peggy looking at the computer with its ominous hum was more kubrick than anything from the last episode. It felt like a horror movie cliff hanger. There was some hints and references to mental illness in previous episodes but the references were about Don.

This episode seemed to deal with authority figures a lot. Lou and Betty both had tirades about the younger generations lack of respect for authority. Lou flexes his authority over Don. Betty rebels against hers in Henry. Sally rebels against Betty. Ginsberg sees the computer having power over people. It seems Don still has some authority even if it just with Crane. In the end, when Don is able to impress his authority figure, there is another one there above both of them that is not impressed.

In any other show, an episode like this would signal foreboding with the rest of the season, but Mad Men doesn't do that. They will do something in one episode that other shows would drag out for the majority of the season.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Pozer

Quote from: Brando on May 12, 2014, 08:20:18 PM
SPOILERS
Peggy looking at the computer with its ominous hum was more kubrick than anything from the last episode.

and of course,

Drenk

This is why Mad Men is one of my favorite shows.
Ascension.

this is the darkest/creepiest shit to have ever been on tv. and no one knows it.

everyone looks like they're dying.
why does pete look mangled?
why does roger have ACTUAL GIRL BREASTS

not happy to have to wait for the second half, but overall this is a very satisfying season so far. how many of you regularly listen to NPR? they were talking about mad men a while ago and revealed a pretty serious spoiler for the second half of season seven, i was suprised. its very vague, but if you know the show it was a HUGE spoiler which i will not disclose. anyway

spoilers

best stuff:

- don running around telling everyone to get out of their offices
- peggy's face while the boy hugs her
- don's face after imagining cooper
- cutler telling don to swing on him
- pete always being a dumb little bitch 'i've got ten percent!!/you're not only pathetic you're selfish!'. hilarious.

not good:
- just me, but i don't give a shit about betty or her dumbass husband or sally or any of those people. i mean who cares anymore? betty was always a great character and still is, but what is her relevance to everything else? why aren't we following every other character that has been featured? when she was with don, then her connection made sense. their relationship, their personalities bouncing off each other. but now she's not a part of his life, so i don't really care about her having her feelings hurt or having a hard time, or her daughter slowly turning into a woman. ok, sally looked like she was attracted to the older boy, then goes after the younger one. good for her, who gives a shit.

- ...and thats about it actually

Drenk

I'm curious about the NPR spoilers. The show is very careful about spoilers (it's even an obsession, Weiner doesn't want people to know when a season start exactly.) How did they "find" this spoiler?

SPOILERS

Weiner said that this part of the season was about the material world and the rest should be about the immaterial. The last scene shows this shift, in my opinion; they all won millions but the essential -- what is "free" -- is still missing. What is missing? What do we want? The eternal fucking question.

I thought the finale was spectacular. It was great to see them as a group again. 03 said everything, but Jon Hamm's face at the end was great. Even if the episode feels triumphant -- and it is -- it ends with this image of an isolated man.

The office was often empty this season. (The Walking Dead...)

About Betty, I understand what you mean, but she's essential for me. The Field Trip episode wasn't interesting for her, but we had some time with Bobby (I liked how they cared about Bobby a little bit more this season, I feel how sick he is to be in this home.) And it's always an opportunity to see Sally! I care about her growing up. The rest of the series should give something meaningful to Betty.
Ascension.

Brando

The quality of the writing of Mad Men can take this shit hand they've been dealt with breaking up the season and make this shortened season a really good one.

I love Sally rejecting the young Don. Don gets called a bully football player. This guy shows up in a football uniform looking like a young Don. We think Sally is interested in him. Sally rejects him and goes for the nerd and the guy that doesn't smoke cause it causes cancer. After kissing him, she lights up a cig and smokes exactly like Betty and her friend in the kitchen talking about their exes.

I love how they brought back the take over from McCann. 

It's a new beginning for the agency. I'm wondering how it will lead to the end of the series. The show started with the with the arrival of the 60's it could just end with the 60's ending. It might not need and "ending."

It was a proper send off for Cooper.

I had issues with Wiener's direction with last season's finale. I didn't have any with this finale. The only issue I could think of would be Megan's reaction to Don's idea of moving to Cali. I understand the need for the awkward silence but felt it was staged weird.

I haven't heard about these NPR spoilers. I have the terrible luck of just happening upon spoilers.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.