saturday night live

Started by sphinx, March 09, 2003, 05:38:36 PM

cine

Quote from: Ravi on March 13, 2006, 01:20:44 AM
This one was clearly trying to capitalize on the fame of Lazy Sunday.
OR the lonely island dudes have been producing comedic music video shorts long before snl and that they're just doing what they enjoy and what they're good at.

Ravi

Quote from: Cinephile on March 13, 2006, 04:56:41 AM
Quote from: Ravi on March 13, 2006, 01:20:44 AM
This one was clearly trying to capitalize on the fame of Lazy Sunday.
OR the lonely island dudes have been producing comedic music video shorts long before snl and that they're just doing what they enjoy and what they're good at.

But isn't Lazy Sunday the first one to really hit it big on SNL?

cine

yea but thats cause its the first rap video they did as writers for SNL. their website has tons of really funny music video shorts that they did before they were hired. it's what they do best and they're good at it. so it's not about capitalizing on something that worked previously on SNL, it's about them doing what they think is funny.

Ravi

The raps themselves are good.  I just don't want them to keep doing them all the time because they had a mainstream hit with it.  Its a very specific kind of humor (white people doing rap) that can get old if done regularly.

cine

well i think thats why out of their 7 shorts, only 2 of them were raps.  :yabbse-undecided:

©brad

ppl at work have been doing the "SNL is back" talk in regards to the lohan/pearl jam episode. was it really that good? i haven't watched yet but am planning to shortly. 

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: ©brad on April 17, 2006, 11:43:16 AM
ppl at work have been doing the "SNL is back" talk in regards to the lohan/pearl jam episode. was it really that good? i haven't watched yet but am planning to shortly. 

I don't think it was particularly of note except for Pearl Jam.  They tore the roof off.  And the Lohan looked reasonably attractive, though not back at Mean Girls pitch yet (if that will ever happen again).  So maybe that's where the talk is coming from.  The skits were about as good (or as bad, depending on your point of view) as the rest of the season.  The absolute highlight is, if memory serves, Tina Fey's last joke on Weekend Update.  And I'm sure I'm in the minority for this but I liked the digital short this week.  But the show overall was no better than, say, the Portman episode.  They even had the trombone player fuck up again during the Debbie Downer skit just to try and recapture the magic of the first one... no such luck this time.

Sunrise

Quote from: hacksparrow on April 17, 2006, 12:41:27 PM
Quote from: ©brad on April 17, 2006, 11:43:16 AM

I don't think it was particularly of note except for Pearl Jam.  They tore the roof off.  And the Lohan looked reasonably attractive, though not back at Mean Girls pitch yet (if that will ever happen again).  So maybe that's where the talk is coming from.  The skits were about as good (or as bad, depending on your point of view) as the rest of the season.  The absolute highlight is, if memory serves, Tina Fey's last joke on Weekend Update.  And I'm sure I'm in the minority for this but I liked the digital short this week.  But the show overall was no better than, say, the Portman episode.  They even had the trombone player fuck up again during the Debbie Downer skit just to try and recapture the magic of the first one... no such luck this time.

I pretty much agree with hacksparrow...but I don't see enough of snl anymore to be able to tell if Saturday's show was an improvement or not. I of course watched because I knew Pearl Jam was performing and the band certainly didn't disappoint. Lohan was just adequate. I thought the O'Reilly Factor skit was decent...really hit on his ridiculous interview style.

picolas

i was on and off and stopped watching after about an hour. i thought the digital short was pretty good except for the Lorne Michaels part, because it meant nothing. especially when they cut back to him midway through and nothing happened. i think that part could've been fixed if he'd said "guys, i've got to be honest with you. so far this is the best thing i've ever seen."

grand theft sparrow

The Kevin Spacey season finale wasn't too bad.  The Falconer/time machine skit was the highlight.  Aside from it being the most clever skit this current cast has done, it had actual energy, a first since Will Ferrell left.  It almost had a Monty Python vibe to it.  If only they can hold onto the magic that went into that skit through the summer.

modage

i actually think the last several episodes were pretty good.  the usual suspects thing was pretty good too, but the falconer was the highlight.  i think it was Tina Feys last episode and maybe Rachel Dratch's as well.  wasnt there a healthy tina fey obsession around here a while back? 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Quote from: modage on May 23, 2006, 01:24:39 PMi think it was Tina Feys last episode and maybe Rachel Dratch's as well.

:shock: are you sure?

modage

pretty sure on fey.  they mentioned on update it was her 180th show or something.  and on the end she had a shirt that said THANK YOU i think.  plus she has that new show coming on nbc in the fall so all signs point towards probably.  also dratch's behavior during the finale seemed a bit like she might be leaving as well.  call it a hunch.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: hacksparrow on May 23, 2006, 12:53:45 PM
The Falconer/time machine skit was the highlight. . . It almost had a Monty Python vibe to it. 
yeah, forte loves the brit humour.. he did a really funny benny hill take off with as jesus a couple years ago.

as for the cast, yeah, fey is gone and dratch is following since they're on the new nbc show together. dratch even commented in an interview about it before.. something like "the best way to leave a live sketch show is by moving to a show about the behind-the-scenes.. of a live sketch show."

others that i would say are as good as gone: horatio sanz and maya rudolph. sanz's time is up and i heard maya had a baby girl with somebody recently (i forget who) and shes been traveling each week with her.. so i'll bet shes tapping out as well.

other possibilities: darrell hammond and chris parnell. i would rule out hammond and parnell will likely return also.

as for this season, the lonely island trio fuckin' rocked this year. next year is gonna be pretty great.. no dead wood. i'm hoping my predictions are right and they'll get this guy an audition: Bobby Moynihan. funniest guy ive seen at UCB... that actually looks good enough for TV.. :yabbse-undecided:

polkablues

I predict next season will be a big one for Kristen Wiig and Jason Sudeikis (and probably Bill Hader too, especially if Darrell Hammond doesn't come back).
My house, my rules, my coffee