saturday night live

Started by sphinx, March 09, 2003, 05:38:36 PM

ono

I got a life, so I didn't get to watch SNL tonight.  Didn't even remember it was on so I could tape it.  And I'm betting that'll be a trend this year, though who knows.  I've heard this season is actually supposed to be good, so maybe I'll watch now and then.

polkablues

Quote from: onoI've heard this season is actually supposed to be good, so maybe I'll watch now and then.

How can there be advance buzz that a season of a LIVE tv show is going to be good?

"Yeah, I heard Armisen pitching a few sketches, and... you know... some of 'em were really promising."

Although if you're on the west coast, you can theoretically get as much as three hours worth of advance buzz.  It's sort of like time travel.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ono

Because I have a friend who is into sketch comedy big-time who knows of the performers and writers coming into the show?

polkablues

Quote from: onoBecause I have a friend who is into sketch comedy big-time who knows of the performers and writers coming into the show?

Are you asking me or are you telling me?

I'm kidding.  That's a perfectly good answer.

To me, this season looks pretty much like last season (which is fine; I liked last season), but with less Tina Fey and Maya Rudolph (damn impregnations...).  The new kid with the Pacino impression seems alright.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: onoBecause I have a friend who is into sketch comedy big-time who knows of the performers and writers coming into the show?
i hav a feeling your friend has always liked the show, and even at its low point (any jimmy fallon sketch), your friend still found the shit funny.
under the paving stones.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: onomabracadabraI got a life, so I didn't get to watch SNL tonight.

This is such an odd statement, so you've got to explain this.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: onomabracadabraI got a life, so I didn't get to watch SNL tonight.

You can have whatever reason you want for missing SNL, but don't lie to us.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Tina Fey Back On "Update"

Live from Studio 8H,     Tina Fey's back on "Weekend Update."

The new mother and head Saturday Night Live writer is returning to the show Saturday, after taking a brief maternity leave following the Sept. 10 birth of her daughter, Alice.

"I had to get back to work...NBC has me under contract; the baby and I only have a verbal agreement," Fey joked in a statement.

All joking aside, the Mean Girls mastermind does indeed have a hefty contract with the Peacock net. Back in 2003, Fey signed a $4 million agreement with NBC that carries her through the current season.

She and "Weekend Update" coanchor     Amy Poehler represent the first all-female team to read the fake news on the weekend staple. In Fey's absence, hefty funnyman Horatio Sanz has been filling her "Update" slot.

Fey's comeback episode will be hosted by     Catherine Zeta-Jones, with Franz Ferdinand as the musical guest.

Meanwhile, trouble may be brewing for Fey's other project in the works--a sitcom about life backstage at a sketch comedy show much like Saturday Night Live, to be produced by Lorne Michaels.

Casting for the show has reportedly already begun, and the as-yet unnamed series was tentatively slated to premiere on NBC sometime after January.

However, according to trade reports, Aaron Sorkin recently sold a new drama series to the Peacock, also about life backstage at a sketch comedy show akin to SNL, except based in Los Angeles.

NBC is said to have paid in the neighborhood of $21 million for the series, titled Studio 7 on the Sunset Strip, based on the first one-hour episode of the show.

In an email to the New York Post, an NBC spokesperson said, "We're proceeding with the Tina Fey comedy and are excited about it."

But it is unclear how the network plans to balance two shows based on a similar subject matter--that is, if it does plan to do so at all.

Looks like Fey may need to put some of those mean girl skills to use.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Me and some friends just watched Best of Steve Martin, or at least most of it. My god. What a genius.

"he's my favorite honkey"

and the sad wild/crazy dance haha.
WWPTAD?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: GamblourMe and some friends just watched Best of Steve Martin, or at least most of it. My god. What a genius.

"he's my favorite honkey"

and the sad wild/crazy dance haha.

Am I the only one here who, when he was a kid, thought that Steve Martin was an actual SNL cast member?

And thank God Tina Fey is back on update this week!  Horatio Sanz was just horrible.  I mean, seriously, they should have paid Jimmy Fallon any amount of money he wanted just to come back and fill in those 2 weeks.

Ravi

Quote from: hacksparrowAnd thank God Tina Fey is back on update this week!  Horatio Sanz was just horrible.  I mean, seriously, they should have paid Jimmy Fallon any amount of money he wanted just to come back and fill in those 2 weeks.

Horatio Sanz was on WU?  I can't picture him doing anything other than eating a sandwich.

modage

THE FUNNIEST sketch on SNL last night with Alec Baldwin doing a dead-on version of his Glengary Glen Ross speech to a bunch of elves in santas workshop.  he even goofs and says "Always Be Closing" instead of "Always Be Cobbling".  i hope this pops up online, because it is so AWESOME it makes up for the whole lackluster season.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

abuck1220

i'm not so sure that much of the audience knew what the hell was going on, however.

meatball

I was starting to forget that SNL can be funny, until this Jack Black episode came around. A lot of credit is due to The Dudes. Some of the skits were shameless ripoffs of their Lonely Island material. Maybe there is hope for SNL after all.

cine

i dont understand how the Dudes can shamelessly rip off their own material. theres never been a rule that says you cant bring out ideas/characters you did pre-SNL. most recurring characters on SNL were originated when they were at Second City, Groundlings, Upright Citizens Brigade, IO, etc. so its not shameless nor is it a rip off.

best episode of the season [so far].