Team America *Contains Dialogue Spoilers

Started by Redlum, July 21, 2004, 04:40:06 PM

hedwig

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: HedwigThat's a stupid reason to make him the most extreme target -- but I'm sure it's hilarious anyway. (I like the ham thing!)
Oh, it's not that bad. (MINOR SPOILER) The worst they do is make him look like a fat slob who goes around like a crazy person and eats hot dogs (and I'm not sure he would disagree with that).

FROM IMDB NEWS:

Matt Stone told today's (Thursday) Toronto Globe & Mail that he included Moore in his film (as a hot-dog munching suicide bomber) because he was outraged over a segment of Moore's last documentary. "I did an interview for Bowling for Columbine because I'm from Littleton [where Columbine High School is located]. He asked me to do it. ... People think we did that [South Park-type] animation that comes after us in the movie, but we didn't. It's so anti-American and mean, and I was just bummed out because people thought I did that."

Did he just use the term Anti-American?

Shut the fuck up, Matt! I want to LOVE Team America now stop being silly.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: HedwigDid he just use the term Anti-American?

Unfortunately I think he meant it in the way you think he meant it.

I just heard his interview on Fresh Air... I disagreed with most of what he said. He fully acknowledges the racism of the Kim Jong Il character and sees no problem with it (and equates anti-racism with trendy political correctness). He also said the point of South Park is that people will be inherently evil if society doesn't shape them (I almost vomited after that one).

You can love Team America and disagree with Matt Stone... I still do. The movie is really a collection of valuable instinctual reactions. Anytime they talk about concrete political things (Trey Parker is a self-proclaimed Libertarian, for example) they just start sounding really genuinely pretentious and clueless and far more annoying than the political celebrities they satirize in Team America.

hedwig

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanHe also said the point of South Park is that people will be inherently evil if society doesn't shape them (I almost vomited after that one).

Ugh.

I think Matt Stone's interview in Bowling for Columbine was very good, and insightful, and amusing, and I liked it. It kind of worries me, though -- in terms of Moore, because, didn't the K-Mart kid speak out against Moore for a similar reason?

Fuckin' people!

picolas

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanAnd there's an excrutiatingly profound scene involving vomit.
ZOUNDS, MAN. FUCK.

i just saw the clip of that and it's the future and that's all i can say

Sal

Quote from: Hedwig
Quote from: HedwigThat's a stupid reason to make him the most extreme target -- but I'm sure it's hilarious anyway. (I like the ham thing!)
Oh, it's not that bad. (MINOR SPOILER) The worst they do is make him look like a fat slob who goes around like a crazy person and eats hot dogs (and I'm not sure he would disagree with that).

FROM IMDB NEWS:

Matt Stone told today's (Thursday) Toronto Globe & Mail that he included Moore in his film (as a hot-dog munching suicide bomber) because he was outraged over a segment of Moore's last documentary. "I did an interview for Bowling for Columbine because I'm from Littleton [where Columbine High School is located]. He asked me to do it. ... People think we did that [South Park-type] animation that comes after us in the movie, but we didn't. It's so anti-American and mean, and I was just bummed out because people thought I did that."

The cartoon was ironic, for Christ's sakes.  And it did seem like they made it.  When I first saw that I definitely assumed it was them helping out.  So by all means, blow the shit out of Michael Moore.

Sal

Quote from: HedwigDid he just use the term Anti-American?

You can love Team America and disagree with Matt Stone... I still do. The movie is really a collection of valuable instinctual reactions. Anytime they talk about concrete political things (Trey Parker is a self-proclaimed Libertarian, for example) they just start sounding really genuinely pretentious and clueless and far more annoying than the political celebrities they satirize in Team America.

No idea where you get that.  To me they strive not to be pretentious about it.  If they're "self proclaimed" in any way, you'll be sure to hunt for it because they aren't about throwing cards on the table.  Now THAT would be clueless and annoying.

hedwig

Quote from: Sal
Quote from: Hedwig

FROM IMDB NEWS:

The cartoon was ironic, for Christ's sakes.  And it did seem like they made it.  When I first saw that I definitely assumed it was them helping out.  So by all means, blow the shit out of Michael Moore.

I agree - blow the shit out of him -- but I just have doubts that their vendetta against him is really because people thought they made that cartoon as much as it is about politics. Simply.
For example;, in that interview a few pages back Stone says, "I'm just unsure of how real that 'news' was" or something to that effect -- about F911.

So. Hm.

Weak2ndAct

I just saw the new tv spot cut to that awful "I'll Stand by You" shitty-ass-soft-rock-song.  Perfection!

Pwaybloe

It's official.  Ebert needs to spends more "alone" time with Mrs. Ebert.

Review.

grand theft sparrow

Ebert clearly did not get the joke.

Quote from: Roger EbertThe plot seems like a collision at the screenplay factory between several half-baked world-in-crisis movies.

Or maybe he's still sore at this.

Ravi

Quote from: hacksparrowEbert clearly did not get the joke.

Quote from: Roger EbertThe plot seems like a collision at the screenplay factory between several half-baked world-in-crisis movies.

Isn't that the whole point of the film?  I had a feeling that Ebert would give this a negative review.  I'm excited about seeing this tonight.

El Duderino

wow.....what a fantastic movie. best of the year.

"What's the signal?" was the best part
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

hedwig

Quote from: El Duderinowow.....what a fantastic movie. best of the year.

"What's the signal?" was the best part

That was hilarious!!

Anyway -- I was blown away by this. So fuckin aboslutely incredibly hilarious. I totally agree with JB's 'trinity of satire' comment. And that Michael Moore stuff is overblown. He's in it for a matter of seconds and they barely make fun of him. His puppet, however, is SO cute.

Alex Baldwin was the primary target. Wow.

F.A.G.s!

The puppets are great. The music, too, is actually very beautiful. And that vomit scene is one of the funniest most well -written things I've seen in a long..time. (Well-written, i.e. The dick-pussy-asshole thing)

I loved it and had a great time but I was not with my people -- I Was with people snickering in delight everytime a liberal was dissed. "Kill (insert name of liberal here)!" a character would shout and the woman next to me would mutter, "yeah, get that son of a ..."

Hmm. I agree with AO Scott about the "pronounced conservative streak amid the anarchy" since not a single conservative is mocked in this film.

That sex scene is mightily hysterical. Had me laughing out loud and when I say loud lord do I mean loud.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: HedwigF.A.G.s!
UGH. There was some guy in the theater who thought it was be funny if he screamed "FAG" everytime that word was on the screen. Of course, he also thought it was funny to scream the entire movie. :?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

SHAFTR

I don't share the same sentiment as the rest of the board on this one.  The first 30 mins was very funny, followed by a boring 70 minutes with occasional flashes of brilliance.

The vomit scene that everyone mentions was far from genius, it was nearly cringe-worthy.  On a more positive notes, Team America does have some great stuff (the songs, some clever jokes, etc) but this is all diluted with simple low-brow humor that in any other movie people would be criticizing.

Overall, **1/2 out of 5 stars.  I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't love it .
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"