Top 10 UNDERRATED movies EVER!

Started by GodDamnImDaMan, September 03, 2003, 02:56:39 AM

hedwig

Quote from: Pas Rap on May 17, 2009, 08:43:44 PM
Like Eddie Murphy's french voice is so over the top and the language he uses is so inexistent that some expressions where actually invented by these films and subsequently used in society.
haha awesome. examples?

Pas

Quote from: Hedwig on May 17, 2009, 10:10:10 PM
Quote from: Pas Rap on May 17, 2009, 08:43:44 PM
Like Eddie Murphy's french voice is so over the top and the language he uses is so inexistent that some expressions were actually invented by these films and subsequently used in society.
haha awesome. examples?

haha I guess this one would be a good example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiUqb2jjdCA&feature=related

The first line ''T'es pas bien dans ton crâne de merde'' which means I guess : ''there's something wrong inside your skull made of crap'' which is pretty silly. but it's a pretty common to say to someone who's sayin crazy stuff. Also the translators didn't understand Joe Louis so he says something like : ''Joe Elwy''

Another reallllly crazy one is in 48 Hours they translate a redneck insult to ''couilles de loup'' which means : ''wolf balls'' .... what the fuck kind of insult is that

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Pas Rap on May 17, 2009, 10:41:51 PM
''there's something wrong inside your skull made of crap''

I think it's imperative that lame comedies be processed and retranslated through French like this.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pas

I'm currently subtitling The Dreamers, you know that 2003 Bertolucci film? What a great little forgotten gem.

I now remember I sent you that DVD by mail P and you never got it? I wanted to send it again but it was too much trouble by then. That DVD was like below 10$ I think here, what a deal back then.

Anyway point of my post:

This film must make absolutely no sense in english! We talked about dubbing on the Let Me In thread but in this case the dubbing is not only perfect but must make way more sense. And they had the great idea of making Pitt's character talk with a huge american accent.

Do the french talk in english in the english version?

Pubrick

Quote from: Pas on May 27, 2010, 08:29:26 AM
I now remember I sent you that DVD by mail P and you never got it? I wanted to send it again but it was too much trouble by then. That DVD was like below 10$ I think here, what a deal back then.

wow that must have been a really long time ago! i barely remember this happening.. i eventually rented the movie and burned myself a copy.

Quote from: Pas on May 27, 2010, 08:29:26 AM
This film must make absolutely no sense in english! We talked about dubbing on the Let Me In thread but in this case the dubbing is not only perfect but must make way more sense. And they had the great idea of making Pitt's character talk with a huge american accent.

Do the french talk in english in the english version?

haha that is so bizarre, yes they all speak in english in the english version (also known as the NORMAL version) but the frenchies (eva green and her sicko brother) speak with really huge FRENCH accents.

there is some french at the cinema and the demonstrations or gatherings that happen around there.. and i remember not having any subtitles for it but later realising i needed to turn them on myself on the dvd setting, which is always a problem with english films that have occasional non-english parts in them. anyway, it's been a while since i saw it. i do know there's lots of french in it but the majority of the film, that is all the conversations between pitt, green, and the other guy are in english.
under the paving stones.

Pas

Haha that's what I thought. That is so stupid. This american guy goes to France to perfect is french, and everyone around him end up talking to him in english and he learns no french at all.

At least in the dubbed version he practices is french a lot and by the end he's pretty fluent. Well, I guess they didn't take it as far as making him improve his french over the course of the movie. That would've been a bit over the top. Maybe for a sequel or something. (jk)

Now that I think about it though, the english (or NORMAL lol) version is more realistic. Americans come here all the time to learn french and they never make a god damn effort to speak any french. We end up having to spend 2 weeks speaking english to them, it gets really annoying. Meanwhile all they do is fuck our chicks. Also they get really drunk on almost no beer so we make them do stupid shit.

That's really basically what happens in the Dreamers NORMAL version. You could say the dubbed version makes Michael Pitt look a lot more sophisticated.