Game of Thrones (spoilers)

Started by diggler, June 06, 2011, 02:39:04 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Apparently a lot of people did not like this episode. Some are even worried about the direction the show is going. And I'm getting annoyed with the nature of the criticism. Why didn't they explain this? Why don't they have time for this thing? Why am I not getting this thing that I want? Why haven't they mentioned the sword? So much whining about every little detail. Just let it happen and see what they have in store for us.

A lot of the criticism is about the insanity of what's being set up. But I'm fine with crazy things happening. I think people have forgotten that this has been promised all along. Just as Lost teased us about the glowing energy at the heart of the island, Game of Thrones has teased us about those white walkers from the very first episode. A promise was made that things are going to get nuts. Not entirely sure that people will be equipped to handle it.

I'm fine with the final season doing bonkers things that the show hasn't done before. Not only do I tolerate that, I love it. (See Lost and Battlestar Galactica.)

I can't be bothered to worry about logistics right now. This does not strike me as the time to be obsessed about dumb little things. As far as I'm concerned, Game of Thrones can do what it wants, as long as the show doesn't violate the spirit of its narrative or the nature of its characters.

That's why I didn't like the finale of Breaking Bad, but I loved the finale of Lost, and its final season, with the core of my being. It felt like its very soul was unfolding and being revealed to us. Same with Battlestar Galactica, essentially. That last season was clearly what the show always wanted to be and was true to its characters along the way.

Game of Thrones is doing something similar. This split final season is kind of a different show — it's an intense race to the finish that is just not interested in explaining everything. And yet its characterization has been pitch perfect. Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Olenna, Bronn, Cersei — they continue to be emphatically themselves, with dialogue as sharp as ever. Jaime especially. What we want him to be and what he actually is are two different things. Agonizingly, we still see his potential — note his joke last week about confessing his sins to the high septon.

I will acknowledge issues when I see them. For example, I share the concern about the Sansa/Arya storyline. I desperately hope Arya sees through Littlefinger's plot (eventually if not very soon) and uses that to pivot against him. Maybe that's where Sansa's quotation comes in: "When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."

WorldForgot

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 15, 2017, 02:53:57 PM

That's why I didn't like the finale of Breaking Bad, but I loved the finale of Lost, and its final season, with the core of my being. It felt like its very soul was unfolding and being revealed to us. Same with Battlestar Galactica, essentially. That last season was clearly what the show always wanted to be and was true to its characters along the way.

Game of Thrones is doing something similar. This split final season is kind of a different show — it's an intense race to the finish that is just not interested in explaining everything.

This is well illustrated by Gilly and Sam's getaway from the Maesters.

Kal

How do you guys feel about these leaks? I mean episode 6 is right there for us to watch a whole 5 days early... but there's something about watching the episodes before they officially come out that doesn't feel right  :shock:

And by the way HBO used to be the kings of secrecy and security, but lately it's gotten bad. It's not even hacks, it's just sloppiness...

Jeremy Blackman

Not thrilled and not watching it.

Robyn

Quote from: Kal on August 16, 2017, 10:41:34 AM
How do you guys feel about these leaks? I mean episode 6 is right there for us to watch a whole 5 days early... but there's something about watching the episodes before they officially come out that doesn't feel right  :shock:

And by the way HBO used to be the kings of secrecy and security, but lately it's gotten bad. It's not even hacks, it's just sloppiness...

I have to wait longer for the last episode, but whatever, I'm watching it... it's in pretty good quality this time too.

is it allowed to discuss the leaked episode here?

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 16, 2017, 12:00:49 PM
Not thrilled and not watching it.

Same here, IF someone does, please don't post until it airs...

Drenk

I don't care. I download them anyway so I don't have that moment in front of my TV and time flies so fast that I won't have to really wait before the finale is upon us. And this one is in HD. I already watched it.

I'd rather wait before JB watches it before writing about it here, though.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah, please don't say anything here until Sunday night.

My main reason for not watching it is I want to be in the same place in the conversation cycle. And it would only make the wait for the finale that much longer.

Robyn

So this might be the only time I will have something worthy to say about it here.

I'll have 5 days to think about it.

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 16, 2017, 01:43:58 PMMy main reason for not watching it is I want to be in the same place in the conversation cycle.

Exactly. GoT is one of the last of its kind, which is making each final episode even more special to me. As most of our content will now be released and binged all at once on streaming networks, it's nice to have one final show to freak out about week by week. I guess Breaking Bad was the last show big enough to command the same weekly audience and subsequent social media freakout.

Robyn

But won't most people download the leaked version and watch it anyway?

I watched it and now I don't have to worry about spoilers. I'd recommend people to watch it because it won't be fun to be spoiled. I can't believe how these episodes is getting leaked. I don't remember other big shows getting leaked it the same extent that GoT has.

Drenk

I don't know who they let upload the episodes on streaming websites but they often make mistakes. It happened twice with Twin Peaks.
Ascension.

Kal

Well, I'm on a 12 hour flight and couldn't resist. I watched it. Oh boy...

I'm losing my shit. If anyone wants to discuss send me a message. I can't believe there is only one episode left until next year.

Robyn

Quote from: Kal on August 18, 2017, 08:59:31 PM
Well, I'm on a 12 hour flight and couldn't resist. I watched it. Oh boy...

I'm losing my shit. If anyone wants to discuss send me a message. I can't believe there is only one episode left until next year.

you are 182:th. congratz.

yeah, I wish we all had seen it so we could talk about it.

edit: no i'm sorry, 187 is the number... but that's also a good number so congratz

edit 2: i'm 182th actually, so congratz to me

Tictacbk

I like all this member number talk (seriously). But can we keep the leaked episode talk down to a minimum? I'm one of those assholes who considers stuff like it being an episode worth losing your shit over, and even being an episode you wouldn't want spoiled...to be a spoiler. Excited for Sunday!