Why does anyone like the Boondock Saints?

Started by Born Under Punches, April 22, 2003, 03:09:04 PM

Ernie

Whoops, just moved this to the top of my netflix queue yesterday, it should be on it's way now. Guess I made the wrong choice.

I finally gave in after like 5 people recommended it to me. I normally don't take recommendations from classmates that seriously but it just seems like my whole school has seen it.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: ebeamanI normally don't take recommendations from classmates that seriously but it just seems like my whole school has seen it.

I know, a friend of mine said it was "amazing," and I disliked it. A lot.

SoNowThen

Hahaha, is this the big movie university/high school kids who think they know about films recommend (as if they found the next hidden Reservoir Dogs)? I too have got a bunch of recs to see this, but all by people with what I consider to be horseshit taste. So I've avoided it.

Really though, I love when some guy who took half a year of film history starts yakking: "oh yeah, I think the Odessa Steps sequence is really great, and so important for editing. And ______ (insert whatever one silent film they saw, either a Chaplin, a Keaton, or Cabinet Of Dr...) was alright. So hey, have you heard of Boondock Saints? Oh, you GOTTA see it".

hehehe
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

jklivin

Quote from: Weak2ndActI heard this film mentioned by 3 different people over the past week, so I figured the stars were pointing for me to finally see this after all the hub-bub-- and I must admit, my anticipation for 'Overnight' has been huge.  And now that's it over, I can't wait to see 'Overnight' even more... so I can see that twat Troy Duffy crash and burn before my eyes.  There aren't even words to describe my hatred for this movie, it's so deep and raging.  I hate myself for even wasting 2 hours of my life to actually see this.  You know what?  I knew it was going to be bad.  I expected it.  I figure you have to see some stinkers just for the sake of it (you can learn more from mistakes than from home runs sometimes).  But this... AARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

If you want a benchmark for post-Tarantino drivel, this is your movie.  From the haggard religious overtones, to the gay-bashing, racial comments... jesus H., the list of offenses is too huge to count.  This movie can't even be enjoyed in a 'violence is cool' aspect because the filmmaking is so fucking weak.  I can accept flaws, I can accept mistakes, but Duffy's attempts at style reek so bad of desperation it just hurts to watch (Willem listening to classical music at a crime scene?).  The whole movie is a desperate wet-dream by somebody that should have stayed a nobody and checking ID's at the bar.

I used to have this theory in college, when i was 18 and cocky (well, moreso than now I suppose), that if you didn't like 'L.A. Confidential,' you were a moron.  Now it seems quite foolish in hindsight.  But that being said... I'm resurrecting that adage.  If you like 'Boondock Saints,' may God have fucking mercy on your soul.  You have no hope.  This is the cinematic equivalent of an abortion.  If someone tells you they actually LIKE this movie, punch them in the face.

I love you all! When I happened upon this site, the first thing I did was search for a thread related to 'Boondock Saints.' This film is also my litmus test. If I had seen any sizeable support for this pile of crap, I would never have returned.

I teach a high school film class and I showed this thing sight-unseen (always risky in any event) b/c some of my better students insisted it belonged in our unit on the gangster film. I was horrified. Even more horrifying was when my students failed to see the relationship to Tarantino. "It's totally different!" they protested, "These guys are IRISH!"

May God have fucking mercy on all our souls!

modage

Boondock Saints is terrible.  Give us a few months and you'll agree.

^ new banner suggestion.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: PubrickJb liked it.  :!:  :shock:
I was young and vulnerable.

I shall revisit the movie and recalibrate my opinion. I stand by my defense of Willem Dafoe, though.

diggler

i really didn't think this movie was that bad. i did cringe a bit at the endless tarantino worship, but i still found it rather entertaining.    

and besides, how can you hate a movie that casts ron jeremy almost as brilliantly as "killing zoe" did?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Film Student

You guys HAVE to see "Overnight."  Troy Duffy is one of the most amazing blowhard assholes I've ever seen put to film.  The movie is ridiculously entertaining.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Ghostboy

Is it being released? I saw the review on AICN the other day and it only whetted my appetite further. I can't wait.

Film Student

Quote from: GhostboyIs it being released? I saw the review on AICN the other day and it only whetted my appetite further. I can't wait.

Yeah, I saw a screening at the LA Film Fest and the directors said they were getting distribution in the fall.

For my complete thoughts on the movie, here's a link to my 15 seconds of fame on AICN, posted during the LAFF.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17840
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Ravi

Now I want to see Boondock Saints, and I can't wait to see Overnight.

Ghostboy

I saw Overnight tonight and it is unbelievable! You just can't imagine what a truly rotten guy Troy Duffy is. I can't believe this is a documenatry about a real person. I didn't think it was possible, but he made me hate his movie even more. I'm a very generous person, and I always look for the best in people and hate to see someone down on their luck...but watching Duffy fail so miserably made me feel like there's some justice in the world. As far as this doc is concerened, he's utter slime.

And although Boondock Saints 2 is still listed as 'In Production' at IMDB, the movie makes no mention of it.

xerxes

i finally saw this and, wow, i can't remember the last time i hated a movie as much as this.  it was almost insulting. i looked over the thread and everything i would have said about it has already been said.

i very much want to see overnight now.

meatball

If you didn't like Boondock Saints, in a sick way you'll love Overnight.