The Dark Knight

Started by MacGuffin, September 28, 2005, 01:34:06 PM

modage

yes, that was the worst comic i've ever seen.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

DARK KNIGHT update
Description: Producer Charles Roven talks about the next Batman film.
Source: Black Film

Now that it has been announced that Heath Ledger is playing the Joker, can confirm any news about Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin?

Charles Roven: Well, one of the things that we have always done, as we did with "Batman Begins", is that we don't comment on any rumors because it takes all the fun away. We're really thrilled about Heath Ledger playing the Joker. As Chris Nolan said, the great thing about Heath is that he commits himself fully and totally to everything he does. He's just a brilliant, brilliant actor and this Joker is a very interesting dark fellow.

Can you comment on any of the returning characters like Luscious Fox or Jim Gordon?

CR: Certainly, Christian Bale is going to play Batman and Bruce Wayne. We are hoping, depending on everyobody's schedule and other aspects on what it is that they want to do with their careers, that we are going to get most of them if not all of them, back in the movie. That is the characters that are alive. Also, the script is in the process of being written. There isn't a screenplay that exist right now so I can't really tell you much more than that.

Are you going to be shooting the film next year?

CR: We are supposed to start shooting what we call a pre-shoot, which we know what that is, in January and the main body of the film will start in March.

In most superhero films and in previous Batman films, the love interest tends to change, will you follow the same suit?

CR: The script is not written yet, so I can't tell you who's coming back. I know that there is a desire to bring back as many characters as possible. I know Chris is working. I don't think that he'll do it in a way where it's hamfisted. It's got to be naturally progressive in the movie or not. There are of course availability issues and contractual issues. It's not just a "Yes, I'm coming back".

What was the reason to go with the "Dark Knight" title?

CR: It was a title that Chris (Nolan) suggested and everybody really embraced. We thought it was a really good natural progression from "Batman Begins".

Was The Joker cast in the film from the beginning?

CR: I think from the time that Chris ended the first film and it had that Joker card until the time that he came up with the concept of what the next chapter was going to be that he was thinking about the Joker. That's why we were able to know that there's going to be a significant part for that character in this film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Thank You for Smoking' actress Katie Holmes has started an intense exercise and diet regime for her role in the 'Batman Begins' sequel.

Katie Holmes has embarked on a strict exercise plan to get ready for the new 'Batman' film.

The 'Thank You for Smoking' star - who gave birth to daughter Suri four months ago - is desperate to shed her post-baby weight to reprise her role as Rachel Dawes, Bruce Wayne's love interest in the 'Batman Begins' sequel.

A source told Australia's NW magazine: "Katie has been told to be ready for filming the new 'Batman' movie in January, which gives her plenty of time to get back in shape. But she has no intention of taking things slowly."

The 27-year-old - who is engaged to 'Top Gun' actor Tom Cruise - has already hit the gym and put herself on a strict diet.

The source added: "She's already in the gym every day and is being super-strict about what she eats. She's also doing yoga and has started kickboxing."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

No amount of yoga and kickboxing will change that fact that she's Katie Holmes.

modage

the best possible option is for the joker to kill her.  that would be pretty hardcore.  because that raises the stakes, makes it personal (since he wont be killing his parents this time around), can substitute for the death of robin type storyline, and also get rid of her character (where there is no where else to go) without doing the whole vicki vale 'its the next movie and she's not here so we're broken up' thing.  fingers crossed. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: modage on August 16, 2006, 09:44:50 AM
the best possible option is for the joker to kill her.  that would be pretty hardcore.

he should kill her and say something like "no more boom boom for this baby-san". that would be hard fucking core.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Exclusive! Dirt on The Dark Knight!
Source: BetterThanFudge

A couple weeks ago I spent some time chatting with director Christopher Nolan for an upcoming feature in Mean Magazine all about his new flick, The Prestige.

In addition to talking about the dueling magicians thriller at length Nolan indulged some of my curiosity about his next little project you might have heard of...the next Batman film!

You're going to have to wait until the issue hits the streets October 23rd for the whole lengthy dialogue but in the meanwhile here's a taste...

Horowitz: Batman Begins dealt with a range of themes from revenge to how we confront fear. What themes will you be exploring in The Dark Knight?
Nolan: I suppose in loose terms I can say it's about things having to get worse before they get better.

Horowitz: It's that note the first film ends on of escalation?
Nolan: Very much.

Horowitz: Is there anything to be inferred from the name you've chosen for this film, The Dark Knight?
Nolan: Ultimately yes. [Laughs] But I'll leave that for people to infer.

Horowitz: This is the cryptic portion of our chat.
Nolan: Yeah. [Laughs] The title has been chosen very specifically. It's quite important to the film.

Horowitz: I take it [the Joker] will be less Cesar Romero and Jack Nicholson than the Joker we saw portrayed in a comic like The Killing Joke?
Nolan: Yes. I would certainly point to The Killing Joke but I also would point very much to the first two appearances of the Joker in the comic. If you look at where the Joker comes from there's a very clear direction that fits what we're doing very well.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Chris Nolan on The Dark Knight Casting Rumors
Source: IESB

Ever since the conclusion of Batman Begins rumors have run rampant regarding the cast of the next film to follow.

Even before the announcement of the Dark Knight title, or the casting of Heath Ledger, there has been constant talk of which actors would be offered roles in the film. Is there any truth to any of these rumors?

The IESB, along with a few select websites, were invited down to an edit bay visit with Chris Nolan and Emma Thomas while he was doing the final sound mixing for The Prestige which stars Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johansson, and Michael Caine.

In the midst of all the Prestige talk, we were able to get him to talk a bit about the highly anticipated Batman sequel.

Ryan Phillippe and Phillip Seymore Hoffman have been rumored to be in the running for Harvey Dent and the Penguin, respectively. Is there any validity here or pure speculation? "As the penguin, no, not true." Also, was Sean Penn originally offered the role of the Joker before Heath Ledger? Laughingly he said, "no, no truth to any of those rumors."

Here is the entire transcript of the Batman Begins questions:

Q:  Looking at Batman Begins now, were you surprised or was that the reaction you were expecting to get?

CN:  I was very surprised for the simple reason that I felt that we really put our hearts into making a great film and I felt that on our own terms we had succeeded but I never never really expected to satisfy critics and fans, you know Batman fans, and regular audiences equally. I mean I thought maybe we'd get two points of the triangle but the fact that all three groups seem to respond well, that was a big surprise. It felt like you were going to lose one aspect of that somewhere along the line. But, I don't know, we were very fortunate in that regard.

Q:  Because the formula works so well is that something that you were looking to do for The Dark Knight?

CN:  I think, what people responded to most about Batman Begins is how different it was from their expectations. So I think we would be foolish to not recognize that and attempt to do something very different in the sequel. I certainly wouldn't have, you know, any interest in somewhat trying to repeat the experience that the film already made because I think, particularly being an origin story, it's a very unique thing very singular. My interest in the sequel is to move on from there and do something quite different.

Q:  Since you did the origin story, it frees you up from doing the whole introduction, so are you expecting to do a whole lot more action the second time around?

CN:  Um, I mean we certainly put a lot of action into Batman Begins through the film even though it didn't involve Batman until 50 minutes in or whatever. So certainly we are free to put Batman into action earlier on. But if you look at the, I mean the rhythm of action movies is very complicated because there is a limit actually to how much action is in the film, how you have to have a particular ebb and flow to what actually works and Batman Begins is pretty stuffed to be honest. But, it didn't all get to involve that character, Bruce Wayne was Batman because of the origin and that we don't have to do.

Q:  Any truth to the rumors of Ryan Phillippe or Phillip Seymore Hoffman?

CN:  (Laughing) As the penguin, no, not true.

Q:  Sean Penn?

CN:  No truth, no truth to any of those rumors. All interesting ideas though.

So there you have it folks, straight from the horses mouth. So who will be starring alongside Christian Bale and Heath Ledger? Well we will just have to wait and see!

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Penguin not in the cards for Hoffman
Source: Batman-on-film.com

According to various sources, it looks as though Phillip Seymour Hoffman has turned down the offer to play The Penguin in the upcoming Batman film THE DARK KNIGHT.

"A full offer was made to Phillip Seymour Hoffman for the role of Cobblepot/The Penguin," writes a Batman-on-film source. "Hoffman was very cautious about accepting the role following his Oscar win (Capote), and has since declined the part."

Chris Nolan has also spoke recently saying that both Sean Penn and Hoffman won't be in the upcoming film. He did not say if the parts were ever offered or if it was simply Internet speculation.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Heath Ledger has finally spoken about playing The Joker. Here's what he had to say (via THE TORONTO STAR):

"It's definitely going to stump people. I think it'll be more along the lines of how the Joker was meant to be in the comics, darker and more sinister."

Q: How about playing the Joker in The Dark Knight? I have to admit, I would never have thought of you for the role.

A: I wouldn't have thought of me, either. But it's obviously not going to be what Jack Nicholson did. It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of a Clockwork Orange kind of feel. Which is, I think, what the comic book was after: less about his laugh and more about his eyes.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 08, 2006, 01:30:18 PM
"It's definitely going to stump people. I think it'll be more along the lines of how the Joker was meant to be in the comics, darker and more sinister."
lets hope so.  thats what they kept saying about Spaceys Lex Luthor, but he ended up being just as campy as Hackman for the most part.  and its not as if Nicholson was completely ridiculous, i mean he did seem insane and he did murder people.  so, you know.

Gold Trumpet

More comments from Heath Ledger:

"I actually hate comic book movies, like fucking hate them, they just bore me shitless and they're just dumb. But I thought what Chris Nolan did with Batman was actually really good, really well directed, and Christian Bale was really great in it."

All I can say: finally someone says it.

Full interview: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/ledger.php

modage

he really stuck it to Fantastic Four and Daredevil!