The Passion Of The Christ

Started by MacGuffin, January 28, 2003, 01:49:48 AM

Pedro

is it just me or is that trailer in exxxxxtraaaa wiiiiiiiiiiiddddeeeeeeeeeeee screeen

terrible teaser.  terrible.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat

agreed... putting aside the fact that when you say "A Mel Gibson Film" it immediatly becomes a joke, it's does nothing more for me than any of those low budget Christspoitation flicks that are hawked late at night by the Bible networks.

Pedro

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: Pedro the Wombat

agreed... putting aside the fact that when you say "A Mel Gibson Film" it immediatly becomes a joke, it's does nothing more for me than any of those low budget Christspoitation flicks that are hawked late at night by the Bible networks.
yeah...it looks of about that caliber.  dissapointing, because, unlike so many people here, i really really like braveheart.

Gamblour.

Quote from: GhostboyPutting a THE in front of it is actually the correct use of the word Christ, which is in fact not a name.

Ah ok, thanks, interesting. So then, what is Christ if it's not a name. Is Christ hebrew for son of god or something? A 'the' would make sense in that case, or something similar. Sorry to drag this on, but I'm just more curious about this than the actual movie.
WWPTAD?

Ghostboy

Quote from: Gamblor the Manwhore
Quote from: GhostboyIs Christ hebrew for son of god or something?

Basically. It's actually Greek (short for Christus, I believe) and it means The Annointed.

Finn

Sorry I misunderstood. You're right, the The before Christ doesn't sound very good. I suppose the Gibson is a very religious person so he wanted to clarify that there is only one Christ.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Redlum

That new trailer is rubbish compared to the original. It makes a bigger deal out of the flashy 3d titles than it does the actual film. Cheapens the whole damn thing.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Gamblour.

Quote from: ®edlumThat new trailer is rubbish compared to the original. It makes a bigger deal out of the flashy 3d titles than it does the actual film. Cheapens the whole damn thing.

Yeah, I remember the teaser (or whatever it was, the original trailer, I guess?) had that great shot of Christ on the cross, gasping or moaning, it was really terrific, but oh well. It's gotten so much free press, this will make bajillions.
WWPTAD?

Pwaybloe

The teaser's not terrible, it's just conservative.  They had to tone down the violence for it to be more marketable.  

I mean, the producers want people to see this movie.  It's an important part of the process.

Ghostboy

Yeah, but the teaser mainly seems to be a handful of randomly selected (although admittedly beautiful) images that don't build to anything. And the titles are a little too fancy, too, I agree.

Anyway, they screened this at AICN's Butt-Numb-A-Thon over the weekend, and apparently it got a five minute standing ovation. There are a few reviews up on the site now.

Ghostboy

An encouraging quote from one of the above-mentioned reviews:

"Okay, before I say anything else about this film, I want to say something. I am an atheist. I do not believe in god, Jesus, or the bible. I am not a Christian, I am not a Jew, I have no religion. I am also a card-carrying member of the ACLU and a supporter of the ARA (Anti-Racist Action, a youth-based anti-racism organization formed in a retaliation to the neo-nazi movement). I have no ill feelings toward any religion, belief, or race. My best friend is Catholic, my girlfriend is Baptist, my soon-to-be roommate is a Deist, one of my close friends is a Wiccan, and two of my ex-girlfriends are Jewish. When you read this review, remember all this.     

The first thing I want to say about PASSION is that this is not a religious film. It's a film. It's an amazing, brilliant, incredible film. This is the film that everyone will be talking about in 2004. Unfortunately due to the press, they're going to be talking about the wrong things.      

So far, everyone has asked me if I liked this film. I did not like this film, but I did not dislike this film. I did not love this film, and I did not hate it. This film is beyond those type of descriptions. I cannot say I liked this film. But I can say this is probably one of the most important films – if not THE most important film – of this century so far. If anyone wants to make another grand film, this is going to be the yardstick it's measured against.   "

RegularKarate

What a horseshit review... sorry if you wrote the review and you're reading this.

"I didn't like it or dislike it or hate it or love it, we just kissed a little and then I took it home, but it's one of the most important films about shit you've probably seen a hundred times over... also, I'm not racist"

Raikus

I can't help but notice you're a little predisposed towards this film. Any reason why? Did Mel Gibson run over your dog?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

I will admit that I just think Gibson is a fuckin talentless goober and get a little upset by the amount of undeserved attention he gets.

The only thing this movie had going for it was the no subtitles thing... not that someone like Gibson could pull it off, but now it doesn't even have that.

Also, really, I don't like that review.  

I don't usually prejudge a movie this much, but I just really think this is gonna be a big pile of steaming dog shit.

Jeremy Blackman

The only thing that really interested me was the idea of Aramaic with no subtitles. If that's out, I can only look forward to a Jesus cartoon.

It would be fun to have a Braveheart-like warrior Christ, like in this medieval poem:

Almighty God ungirded Him,
eager to mount the gallows,
unafraid in the sight of many

"The Dream of The Rood"

Gibson should have got it over with and cast himself as The Christ.