The Amazing Spider-Man

Started by MacGuffin, November 01, 2007, 12:36:55 AM

MacGuffin

Col hands Vanderbilt pen for 'Spidey 4'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

James Vanderbilt has been brought on board to pen the screenplay for "Spider-Man 4" for Columbia.

Laura Ziskin is returning as producer of the billion-dollar franchise, though no deals have been made to bring back series director Sam Raimi or stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst.

Plot points are being closely guarded by the studio, though the intent is to scale back the story to include only two villains instead of repeating the "Spider-Man 3" model. The third installment, which grossed $336.5 million domestically this year, saw Spidey battle a busy triumvirate of evildoers in the forms of Venom, Sandman and Goblin and was widely reckoned as overly cumbersome with one too many plot lines.

Several writers were being considered for the fourth installment, and Vanderbilt, who wrote the thoughtful if dark "Zodiac," apparently was chosen by Sony brass for his character-driven approach to the story rather than a focus on special effects.

David Koepp, who worked on the first two installments, returned to write a previous draft of "Spider-Man 4."

Vanderbilt, repped by Endeavor and Fuse, quickly has been scaling his way to the upper echelon of screenwriters. He is working on a project based on another Marvel character, Gavin Hood's "Wolverine," for 20th Century Fox.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Raimi Updates Spider-Man 4
Source: SciFi Wire

Spider-Man director Sam Raimi told reporters that he's waiting on a script for a fourth installment from writer James Vanderbilt (Zodiac, The Rundown) before deciding whether to helm it, though he'd like to.

"Right now James Vanderbilt is writing the script, and he's working on it, and I'm excited to read it," Raimi said in a group interview in Century City, Calif., on June 5. "I think it's going to be done in a few months. I'm hoping it's as great as our discussions were about it and hoping it feels right for me, because I love Spider-Man, and I'm hoping I'm well-enough rested to, like, really embrace it and hoping that Sony wants me at that time to direct it. So if all those things come together, I would love, love to do it. But this is a lot of unknowns about the future."

Asked whether he'd recast the roles of Peter Parker or Mary Jane Watson--who have each moved on to other projects--Raimi demurred. "Well, I hate to recast anybody in the picture," he said. "I couldn't imagine that. It's like the new Darren [who was recast during the run of the 1960s TV series Bewitched]. Whenever that happened. So I don't know. I can't imagine that."

Raimi also offered a brief update on other projects, including a proposed remake of his Evil Dead films. "We never actually pursued it," Raimi said of his Ghost House Pictures partners. "We said we were going to do it, and then we got so busy with other projects we never actually pursued it. So we still want to do it. We still think it's worth trying, and ... I've not done a single thing about it."

As for a feature-film sequel to the vampire movie 30 Days of Night, which Ghost House produced, Raimi said none was in the works. But he praised FEARnet's upcoming Web miniseries 30 Days of Night: Dust to Dust, which features his brother, Ted Raimi.

"It looks really good, and I don't know when FEARnet is releasing it, who their financiers [are], but ... I highly recommend it. It's a blast," Sam Raimi said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Locks In Sam Raimi & Tobey Maguire in 'Spider-Man 4'; Studio May Shoot '4' and '5' At The Same Time
Source: Deadline Hollywood

It's time to end once and for all the rampant speculation. Sony doesn't want any info to leak but I'm told that both star Tobey Maguire and director Sam Raimi will be returning to make Zodiac screenwriter Jamie Vanderbilt's script of Spider-Man 4. Sources tell me that Sony has recently locked in both veterans of Spider-Man 1 through 3. And I do mean recently because just a few weeks ago sources told me that Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal was openly discussing Tobey's potential replacements with various Hollywood agents because Tobey was hanging tough about a deal. "She was looking around to cover herself because Sony wanted him badly and Tobey wasn't sure he wanted to do it," an insider explained to me. There's no deal yet for Kirsten Dunst but Mary Jane Watson will be in the movie again. I'm told Sony "would never recast her" despite her rehab problems. But expect another gal part, too.

Gone is the black costume from Spidey 3, even though "dark" is all the rage in superhero movies right now given the enormous success of The Dark Knight. But I'm told the filmmakers won't be borrowing from the latest Batman installment because "Spider-Man is its own thing," one insider tells me. "Sam Raimi made the first serious superhero movie, and others followed. The difference between Spider-Man and Batman is that Batman is duelling with a dark side of himself, and that's not what Peter Parker's struggle is. Peter Parker has no dark side himself. In Spider-Man 3 it was the black costume. Peter Parker's struggle is about sacrifice."

Sony is taking its time officially hiring the movie's villain since principal photography doesn't start on Spider-Man 4 until next fall because of the recently postponed May 2011 release. I am told, however, that "once you find out who the villain is, you'll know who's playing it." That should lead to speculation that Dylan Baker's character of Dr. Curt Connors will ultimately turn into The Lizard as he did in the comic books. There's one other character that's been set up but is a real longshot -- Daniel Gillies, who plays John Jameson, the astronaut fiance of Mary Jane in Spider-Man 2. In the comics he becomes the villain Man-Wolf. Raimi has said in the past that he wants the best actors to play the villains in the movie, not necessarily the most famous.

I'm also told that, right now, the studio is trying to figure out if it can feasibly shoot Spider-Man 4 and 5 at the same time because doing that is so cost effective and "it wasn't so easy to get everybody back together".

Meanwhile, Sony is moving forward on its Spider-Man Broadway musical with music and lyrics by Bono and The Edge of U2 to be directed by Julie Taymor, the Tony Award-winning director of The Lion King. I'm still in a state of shock that Amy Pascal and Julie Taymor are working together again after the knock-down, drag-out fights they had over Sony/Revolution's Across The Universe.  This is one of those showbiz moments when the Hollywood maxim, "I'll never work with you again until I need you", comes true.

And Sony has hired a pair of screenwriters to get going on the Spider-Man 3 spinoff movie Venom. Given that comic book artist/writer and action figure maker, Todd McFarlane, who is one of the creators of the Marvel villain, doesn't think a Venom movie could do well with a villain as the central character, my sources think Sony should let Topher Grace, even though he was blown up at the end of Spider-Man 3 (yet a portion of the Venom costume survived), stay in the role because the likeable actor could be a a sympathetic evildoer.

Skeleton FilmWorks

cinemanarchist

Oh how I yearn for the days when I used to respect Sam Raimi.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

matt35mm

Julie Taymor is directing a Broadway musical of Spider-Man with music by Bono and The Edge??

W.                T.                  F.?

The Perineum Falcon

yeah, someone really needs to stop her.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Sleepless

I really don't care for Spiderman. Never have. Never will.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

SiliasRuby

Me too, I really tried to like to like the movies but I just did not like them. I sold my spiderman dvd's.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Sam Raimi Talks 'Spider-Man' Sequel Double-Shoot, Futures of Kirsten Dunst & The Lizard
Source: MTV

Although things weren't looking too good for awhile, "Spider-Man" has overcome adversities tougher than a Green Goblin-Doc Ock team-up, and now once again has Tobey Maguire and Sam Raimi in his corner. But what about Kirsten Dunst?

"Kirsten, I'd love to work with her again," Raimi explained to us this week, making it sound as if current plans to include Dunst for "Spider-Man 4" and "Spider-Man 5" are still up in the air, despite recent statements that she wants to remain with the franchise. "I hope she'll be written into it. I couldn't imagine making one without her, and I think she's an important part of the movies."

Nevertheless, Raimi admitted that the very nature of an episodic series requires that characters come and go. "I wish I could work with James Franco again," said the man who directed the first three hit movies. "But his character died in the last one; same with Uncle Ben. Fortunately, we've been able to bring back all the dead characters [like Willem Dafoe as Norman Osborn or Cliff Robertson as Ben Parker]. I can't let them go, in each and every picture; but it gets harder and harder."

Now things are about to get hard yet again for Raimi, as he's making plans to continue the cinematic tale of Peter Parker. "I'm really excited about Spider-Man, and I'm hoping to direct it," he cautioned. "I don't have a script yet, but production would start probably by March of 2010, I'm guessing. It sounds like a long time away, but we need a script first, and a lot of pre-production has to take place."

The filmmaking legend also revealed to us that there is a lot of truth behind rumors that he might shoot the next two "Spider-Man" films at the same time. "That had been talked about," he said, deferring to the head of his studio. "It's Amy Pascal's decision. I don't think it has been decided yet, and she's the one that's really going to make that decision; I'm really curious myself."

By his own admission, "Spider-Man 3" was an exhaustive film to shoot, but Raimi is confident he can handle the double duty. "It would be a real endurance test, probably only Peter Jackson knows how hard something like that would be," he marveled, hinting that "4" and "5" would be very closely linked in storyline. "If Tobey and me, and all the producers, like the story for two pictures and Amy wanted to do it, then we would do it. It just hasn't been written yet."

Finally, Raimi offered comment on the wishes of fans (and yours truly) to finally let Dylan Baker's storyline come to fruition. "He's a great actor, and I think one day The Lizard's story will be told," he teased, referring to Baker's Curt Connors character. "I don't know if it will be this one or not. I just don't know. I'm definitely hoping to work with Dylan in the picture. I just don't know who the villain is yet."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Spider-Man 4' lands Pulitzer pen
Playwright David Lindsay-Abaire swings to sequel
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright David Lindsay-Abaire got out of a rabbit hole, only to be ensnared by a spider's web.

Lindsay-Abaire, who won a Pulitzer in 2007 for his drama "Rabbit Hole," is in final negotiations to write "Spider-Man 4" for Columbia.

Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire are back as director and star, respectively, as are series producers Laura Ziskin and Avi Arad. Kirsten Dunst also is expected to return for the latest movie featuring the Marvel Comics character.

Plot details are under lock and key.

Columbia always has gone off the beaten path during the development process when hiring writers for the "Spider-Man" movies. Alvin Sargent, a veteran scribe best known for 1973's "Paper Moon" and 1980's "Ordinary People," served as a writer on the second and third films. Michael Chabon, another Pulitzer winner, also worked on "Spider-Man 2."

James Vanderbilt previously wrote a draft of "Spider-Man 4."

Lindsay-Abaire's "Rabbit Hole," which starred Cynthia Nixon and Tyne Daly, hit the Broadway stage in 2006 and won four Tonys, including best play. The writer also is known for the play "Fuddy Meers."

Lindsay-Abaire has said in interviews that his plays tend to be "peopled with outsiders in search of clarity," which would put his work on sympathetic terms with Peter Parker, who in his classic incarnation is the perpetual outsider.

The choice of scribe also signals that that filmmakers are intent to focus on character, something that critics said got lost in the third installment.

Gersh-repped Lindsay-Abaire, now writing the book and lyrics for the Broadway musical adaptation of "Shrek," has dipped his toe in Tinseltown before, with his adaptation of "Inkheart" due in January. He is also adapting "Rabbit" for 20th Century Fox and Nicole Kidman.

Columbia had no comment.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

EXCLUSIVE: 'Spider-Man 4' To Begin Shooting In 2010, Says Bugle Chief

The fourth film in the blockbuster "Spider-Man" franchise will begin shooting in 2010, actor J.K. Simmons told MTV News at Sundance, revealing that he'll continue in the role of Daily Bugle publisher J. Jonah Jameson. "I saw Sam [Raimi] at his Christmas party."

The news appears to confirm earlier reports that Sony was looking towards a May 2011 release.

Both Sam Raimi and Tobey Mcguire are expected to return, but have yet to formally commit. Kirsten Dunst is also up in the air, although the actress has voiced her willingness to continue as Peter Parker's love interest.

Given the blowhard, fast-talking nature of his character, you'd think Simmons would be lobbying for more screen time, but according to the actor, the status quo is fine with him.

"We've definitely brainstormed ideas for Triple-J, but I have no desire to make Triple-J more of the focus of those movies," he said. "The amount that I did in 1, 2 and 3, is just exactly right. Like be the wolf. Come in, blow in, do a week, blow out, be the comic relief, and hit the road. And let Tobey and everybody else do the heavy lifting."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Marvel sets date for 'Spider-Man 4'
'Avengers,' 'Thor' pushed back on slate
Source: Variety

Sony and Marvel Entertainment will open "Spider-Man 4" on May 6, 2011.

Opening date was announced as Marvel made a number of adjustments to its release calendar.

"The Avengers" is being pushed back from July 15, 2011 to May 4, 2012.

In a build-up to "Avengers," Marvel is moving back the release of "The First Avenger: Captain America" from May 6, 2011 to July 22, 2011.

"Thor" is likewise moving, from July 16, 2010 to July 17, 2011.

"Iron Man 2's" release date of May 7, 2010 remains unchanged.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Anyone else sick of superhero movies now?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

Quote from: Sleepless on March 12, 2009, 02:16:02 PM
Anyone else sick of superhero movies now?

I was just thinking the same thing. Anything they can make, they make. It's getting a bit ridiculous. Now it's to the point where they're getting overrated, too. Iron Man wasn't that good.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

EXCLUSIVE: Sam Raimi 'Can't Imagine' Doing 'Spider-Man 4' Without Kirsten Dunst, Only Working On Fourth Film

With the recent announcement of the "Spider-Man 4" release date (May 6, 2011), what once just seemed to be a great pie-in-the-sky idea that might never happen is now even more a tangible reality.

Director Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire are locked in, the story is being fleshed out and so fans are dying to know: where will the Peter Parker story take us next and what will be the villains that he has to face?

For those answers we'll have to keep waiting a little while longer. Raimi is keeping it all very close to the vest, but did reveal to us that the ideas and concepts are only looking forward to the fourth "Spider-Man" film and right now, a larger roadmap for the fifth film is not being charted out. He also said fans should expect to see the stories take place firmly within the Marvel Universe created by Stan Lee and not any inventions outside the familiar comic book storylines.

"The writers, producers and I are working out what the story will be, but we haven't been talking in terms of Part 4 and 5." Raimi told MTV News. "I've read that [about 'Spider-Man 5'] also, but right now we're just working on the story for 'Spider-Man 4,' just that one film.

"We're definitely talking about working from all the material in the comic books and nothing [invented] outside of that, "Raimi continued. "All the characters or villains or villains, whatever we decide to do will be from Stan Lee's creations or those that came after him."

Note that twice in our interview Raimi said "villain or villains" plural and said, "I do have a pretty good idea, but I'm just not a liberty to say yet," adding that Sony wants to carefully plan out when they announce the antagonist or antagonists to the fans.

While both Raimi and Kirsten Dunst have both expressed interest in her returning as Peter Parker's unattainable girlfriend Mary Jane Watson, the filmmaker says he's currently unsure of her participation status and he's not privy to those negotiations.

Asked whether the story could be written for another love interest in the "Spider-Man" comics if Dunst didn't sign for whatever reason, Raimi seemed to be dismayed at the very notion.

"I can't imagine making a 'Spider-Man' movie without Kirsten," he said, seemingly contemplating the idea in his head with a long pause. "Of course it can be done because Spider Man has existed without the character of Mary-Jane but she's one of my favorite parts and it would be a shame not to have her in the picture. I'm hoping she'll be in it and I'm planning on having a story with her in it."

Skeleton FilmWorks