Jumper

Started by MacGuffin, October 10, 2007, 10:24:06 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: February 15th, 2008 (wide)

Starring: Hayden Christensen, Samuel L. Jackson, Jamie Bell, Diane Lane, Rachel Bilson, Tom Hulce, Michael Rooker

Directed by: Doug Liman 

Premise: A genetic anomaly allows a young man to teleport himself anywhere. He discovers this gift has existed for centuries and finds himself in a war that has been raging for thousands of years between "Jumpers" and those who have sworn to kill them.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

looks entertaining enough, but I wish people would stop trying to convince me that Hayden Christensen was only bad in Star Wars... HE'S A BAD ACTOR.

pumba

haha wow that looks so gay! Such a cheesy trailer too. I really don't like anything Liman did post-Go.
The sad part is i'll probably see this in theatres.
Ahh, fuck me.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

im just excited that 3rd eye blind are back!  i cant get their theme song for this (cleverly titled jumper) out of my head:

I wish you would step back from acting, Hayden
You could cut ties with all the lines that you've been struggling with
And if you sign on to another film again I won't understaaaaaaaaaand...

little harsh but goddamn catchy!

Gold Trumpet

I think Hayden Christianson is a fine actor. I know he's been criticized on the board, but it seems like he is getting attacked for being unlikable instead of being bad. Everyone's performance in Star Wars was muted but he did an excellent job in Shattered Glass. I saw my first interview of him on television recently and was surprised how very different he is than his character in that movie. I originally wondered if him playing weakness was just a slim extension of his personality, like it is for Tobey Maguire, but it really wasn't. That was impressive.

Other than that, I can't think of a movie he did that was challenging. You can criticize his choice of roles, but criticizing those performances seems to be just going after his personality on screen. Jumper should be good though. Doug Liman is one of the better filmmakers for entertainment vehicles.

pete

it seems like people's opinions of him rest on whether or not they've seen Shattered Glass. 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

NEON MERCURY

i'm with gt on this one. i thought he was watchable in life as a house and clones.  he's good in ep III.  i have no desire to see awake.  but he's quite excellent in shattered.  i kind of like him actually  :oops:  i doubt that i will see jumper in it's theatrical run but will check out the dvd.  liman is fun stuff.

MacGuffin

Bilson should stick to TV, and her character was worthless. But the major problem here is with the script; relying heavily on voiceover. The relationship between Christensen and Bilson takes too much away from the overall story of the Jumpers and Paladins leaving not much for Liman to do what he does best with action.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i sat across from doug liman at this weird mexican place last week at lunch.   i was pretty sure it was him so my friend was looking him up on his iphone and comparing the picures and finally said "excuse me, are you doug liman?"  and he said "yes" and my friend said "cool."  true story.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

the lead actress in my show used to date doug liman. he was going to cast her as the katie holmes part in go but the studio wanted a name. true story.