casting directors?

Started by Ernie, April 01, 2003, 05:09:44 PM

Ernie

What exactly do casting directors do? Do they cast the people in lead roles or just the small roles? I always thought the filmmaker would handle the lead roles personally and a casting director's job was just to find good actors for the smaller roles that the filmmaker doesn't really have a preference for.

Like let's take Punch Drunk Love for example...ok, try to follow this...

PTA wants Adam Sandler and Emily Watson. So, he calls them on the phone and meets with them or whatever...and meanwhile, the casting director casts people in the smaller roles: barry's sisters, the blonde brothers, georgia, pretty much any role that PTA doesn't have a preference for but, of course, wants good actors for. So the casting director does the research...calls these people in for rehearsals and PTA and the casting director sit in on the rehearsals...they decide who's in and who's out.

I've always thought that's how it would work. Am I right? I was wondering about this cause I wanna be a filmmaker and I just want to know how casting will work in the future.

picolas

Quote from: ebeaman69Am I right?

no.

Casting is usually done through auditioning, not "rehearsals," and often, the casting directors are responsible for lead roles. Especially in the world of tele-vision. The whole process really differs from film to film, but usually the case is that the casting director weeds out the best through a process of elimination and call-backs (if there's no preference in the director's mind to begin with), and the director makes the final decision. Auditions usually consist of one reading from a selected part of script into or around a camera. . .

ReelHotGames

The Casting Director will also do the laborious job of contacting agents for headshots and resumes, though many have them on file already or have a database of talent.

But take your example of PDL - PTA wants Adam Sandler, yes he will call him, but then it's up to other people to hammer out details - agents, managers, lawyers, producer etc...

But for other roles PTA will say I need this, and the casting director will go out and find 4 of whatever "this" is for auditions etc...
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Ernie

Quote from: michael alessandroThe Casting Director will also do the laborious job of contacting agents for headshots and resumes, though many have them on file already or have a database of talent.

But take your example of PDL - PTA wants Adam Sandler, yes he will call him, but then it's up to other people to hammer out details - agents, managers, lawyers, producer etc...

But for other roles PTA will say I need this, and the casting director will go out and find 4 of whatever "this" is for auditions etc...

Ok, awesome. That's how it should work I think. I'm glad the filmmaker gets the last word. I thought for a second that somebody would be casting my movies...glad I was wrong.

They sure do a lot of fucking work anyway though.

ReelHotGames

Yeah - I mean as a director wouldn't you rather focus your energies and be working on something other than pouring through 5000 headshots, I mean some would be WAY off from what your looking for and a casting director screens out those "actors" without acting talent.

They do a helluva a lot of work...

Ernie

Quote from: michael alessandroYeah - I mean as a director wouldn't you rather focus your energies and be working on something other than pouring through 5000 headshots, I mean some would be WAY off from what your looking for and a casting director screens out those "actors" without acting talent.

They do a helluva a lot of work...

Fucking a man...that would be a headache with all the fucking other work the director has on his/her hands. I'm definitely going to go easy on my casting director with the really small roles (give less specific instructions). That's a job I do not envy...there's no way everybody that shows up is a good actor/actress.

I have this plan for when I'm in college to ask girls that I really like to be in my films.  8) Does anybody here do that???
Seriously though, with some of the smaller roles...I want to do what David Gordon Green does and just put regular non actor people in my films. That would be so fun.

Cecil

Quote from: ebeaman69I have this plan for when I'm in college to ask girls that I really like to be in my films.  8) Does anybody here do that???

i would have if i wasnt such a wuss

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeaman69I have this plan for when I'm in college to ask girls that I really like to be in my films.  8)

You consider Girls Gone Wild to be "films"?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

Given beaman's previous comments about women, I'd imagine he'd be really creepy.

"Wanna be in my mooooovieeee????"
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

ReelHotGames

QuoteI have this plan for when I'm in college to ask girls that I really like to be in my films.  Does anybody here do that???

I believe this is what they call the "casting couch" and unless your a clone of JFK let the idea go.

Instead of asking girls you like to be in your films, try liking the girls you cast it works out much better.

Cast talent, fall in love and lust with talent. Surround yourself with talented people and you'll look the better for it. Cast girls because you want to get in their pants and you'll have a bad snoop dogg video.

Check out my website at www.fof-films.com, watch the acting - these were ALL my friends, they also ALL happened to be actors that I had worked with before I became friends with them.

My film may lack some technical merit, but I don't think there is a lot of fault in the acting.

So - forget the casting couch please... Be a good filmmaker

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzatazGiven beaman's previous comments about women, I'd imagine he'd be really creepy.

Given ebeaman's previous comments, I'd expect all the actresses to look like Audrey Tautou and Zooey Deschanel.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

You're probaby not going to change that much from high school to college (I'm still shocked at my own lack of progress), so you might as well get a head start and begin asking girls now, if that's what you want to do.

On my short film, I sorted through about 1000 headshots, made all the phone calls, and then sat for 10 hours a day for three days straight watching actors audition. It was fun for maybe the first three hours. Grueling.

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: bonanzatazGiven beaman's previous comments about women, I'd imagine he'd be really creepy.

Given ebeaman's previous comments, I'd expect all the actresses to look like Audrey Tautou and Zooey Deschanel.

Lol, thank you. That's a much nicer and accurate thing to say.  :wink:  

bonanzataz was way off anyway...there's no way I would ask them myself.   8)

Quoteso you might as well get a head start and begin asking girls now, if that's what you want to do.

I was half kidding. I probably won't really do that...not completely based on looks anyway, I'm not that shallow. I do think looks can be very important in acting though...I do want people to actually like looking at the people on screen. I guess it's charisma before looks though really. I have no idea.

If an actress happened to be really beautiful by coincidence...get this, I would almost definitely get a good looking male lackey to ask her to be in the movie...not necessarily cause I'm a pussy, just because it would better my chances at her accepting. I'll probably do the same with a female lackey for the actors.  :idea:

One footnote: I don't think I'm creepy. There's a fine line between creepy and passionate. I didn't mean I was going to try to "get in their pants" like michael said...that's not me. I wasn't even hinting at that. I'll probably be a virgin for life...poor me. If they got really drunk and showed interest in me at the wrap party, I would shoot them down in a second, I swear.

Cecil

Quote from: ebeaman69I'll probably be a virgin for life...poor me.

hey, ive never driven a truck and never will, and you dont hear me complaining.

EL__SCORCHO

Are casting directors the people who get offered blowjobs in return for a part in the movie or is that the director? or both?