Juno

Started by MacGuffin, September 15, 2007, 10:44:31 AM

B.C. Long

hedwig

uh.. i don't get that last one.

Pubrick

Quote from: polkablues on December 22, 2007, 10:02:14 PM
Wow.  Did I just run over your cat or something?

my cat disappeared three years ago without a trace, so if you did run her over i would be happy as i would finally know what happened. i would only be pissed off if you were watching Brick on your iPhone and that's why you ran over my cat.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

I haven't seen Juno, but it doesn't look like it will be Brick. The characters in Brick were 40s noir monotone. They had no existence outside of the cliches they were mimicking. Juno looks like it has the typical indie irreverence to it, but nothing more. The previews made me think of Garden State a lot more.

I didn't like Garden State or Brick, but I rather this movie be like Garden State.

polkablues

I wasn't going to post a serious response to this, but at the very least I want to state that I wasn't trying to imply that people who don't like Brick or Juno are stupid or "didn't get it" or anything condescending like that.  I was actually trying to make the point that it's perfectly valid for people not to buy into the central gimmick of the dialogue, and that whether one does so or not is primarily a matter of personal taste.  That didn't come across because of sloppy writing on my part.

And Pubrick, are you comparing people who liked Brick with people who like Boondock Saints or Crash?  Do you honestly believe it's on a par with those movies?
My house, my rules, my coffee

cine

jesus christ. guys.. juno is neither brick or garden state. it's fucking juno.

goodnight.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: polkablues on December 22, 2007, 10:24:02 PM
And Pubrick, are you comparing people who liked Brick with people who like Boondock Saints or Crash?  Do you honestly believe it's on a par with those movies?

Crash has decent direction and a few good moments.

polkablues

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on December 22, 2007, 10:25:13 PM

No question.  But the problem with Crash is a problem of intent versus execution.  It's a movie that tries to make profound points about important issues, yet consistently demonstrates an utter lack of either insight or understanding of those issues.

Brick, on the other hand, is a movie that tries to be a modern twist on a Chandler-esque film noir, and it does that.

And cine's right, Juno is none of these movies.  It is itself.  Whatever anyone thinks of Brick should have no bearings on their opinion of Juno, so I apologize for bringing it up.
My house, my rules, my coffee

hedwig

many scenes reminded me of garden state. the rainn wilson cameo and the fucking horrible truly dreadful actor who was doing a straight imitation of napoleon dynamite were like those characters in garden state who popped up just to be quirky and funny and then VANISHED. they add nothing to the movie. there's even a scene where jason bateman urges juno to listen to sonic youth's superstar the same way natalie potman makes zach braff listen to the shins.

juno had moments of tenderness, and ellen paige, whereas garden state had trite speeches about LIFE, and zach braff. so i'd rather be watching juno.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: polkablues on December 22, 2007, 10:30:22 PM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on December 22, 2007, 10:25:13 PM

No question.  But the problem with Crash is a problem of intent versus execution.  It's a movie that tries to make profound points about important issues, yet consistently demonstrates an utter lack of either insight or understanding of those issues.

Brick, on the other hand, is a movie that tries to be a modern twist on a Chandler-esque film noir, and it does that.

But I gotta think what Brick does is even noteworthy. I think if the film took itself less seriously and had more fun with the references it would have been something. It's almost sinful to start shooting shots that are Antonioni-esque for a high school noir film.

pete

whats up with folks shitting on juno lovers without even seeing it?  it's okay for a post or two, but whats up with these juno shitters keep on turning the conversation into the shitty movies they've seen in the past?  if you wanna shit on brick, go to the brick thread.  this a=b=c shitting is baffling.
I guess I'm shitting on the shitting.  meta it up, I don't care.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

I don't even wanna see this anymore.

Sounds like The Boondock Saints.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

its napoleon dynamite meets garden state meets junior.

Gamblour.

Yeah, fuck, I didn't realize so many members of the Catholic League post here. See Juno first, then make apples to oranges comparisons.

(although Hedwig's comparisons to Garden State were pretty insightful, but some stuff is more a matter of being done well or not. like the shins/sonic youth thing. In Juno it's done well and reasonably, not arrogantly)
WWPTAD?

cine

yeah but don't listen to hedwig though.. cause like ebert, he's LOST IT.