Superbad

Started by MacGuffin, April 07, 2007, 09:16:46 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: August 17th, 2007

Starring: Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, Bill Hader, Evan Goldberg 

Produced by: Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, Judd Apatow 

Directed by: Greg Mottola (The Daytrippers)

Premise: Two co-dependent high school guys want to hook up with girls before they graduate and go off to different colleges, but, after a calamitous night just trying to buy alcohol for a school party, overcoming their separation anxiety becomes a greater challenge than getting the girls.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

the trailer was superbad.

pete

I think I'll go see it.  but I always say that about summer movies and then I never watch any of them.  I actually never watch movies in general.  I have a headache.  I should've just stayed in and watched movies.  Why can't this be out right now.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

pumba

that trailer is really unfunny - i have so much faith in this movie though and i'm there opening night.
cheers

modage

i saw this last night.  it was supergood.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Tictacbk

To anyone who says the trailer is unfunny watch this:

Ghostboy

Also, I think the trailer itself is hilarious, and don't understand the hatin.'

Stefen

The red band trailer was alot better, and not just cause they talked about a baby sucking his dads dick.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

JG

Quote from: modage on June 14, 2007, 08:18:59 AM
i saw this last night.  it was supergood.

come on, give us moree. 

pumba

I saw this a short while ago and it was really funny - BUT: I thought they could have made it even funnier. Maybe it's because I was so overwhelemed by all the dicksucking this movie is getting that I got my hopes up too high. It's still fresh and really funny but i think Knocked Up is even funnier and a better movie too.

SEMI-SPOILERS:
- the McLovin fake I.D scene is a lot funnier in the film
- That part in the red banned trailer where Jonah Hill mutters "It was a good lookin' dick!" isn't in the movie! What a stupid cut.

Tictacbk

I saw this tonight (and was interrupted by the Jimmy Kimmel Show...you'll understand if you're one of the 3 people who watches it).  Anyways, it was hilarious and I highly recommend it.  Maybe its because it is still fresh in my mind and knocked up was so long ago, but I think it was even funnier than Knocked Up.  It hit all the notes I like high school movies to hit.  Nostalgia, pulling for the underdog, gross outs...but it was also completely original and fresh.

Spoilers:
most dicks ever in a movie.

Kal

I cant wait to see this... but wont be back in the country until September :(

Anybody get me a screener?

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

john

This is one of the few films I've seen in sometime where, even nearing two hours, I didn't want to leave these characters. I don't mean that in the same way that I meant it the first time I saw Fanny and Alexander.... but regardless of genre, it's rare that a film rewards you with characters and a world that you just want to continue watching.

It's a damn fine, silly, slightly nostalgic, and very funny comedy.

I like that it fits into the Apatow family of films very well, but doesn't seem repetitive or too much like their previous work. It doesn't strike new ground, nor is it intending to. It's intending to be funny, and watching the previews before the film (The Heartbreak Kid, Good Luck Chuck) it's nice to see broad comedy that's reaching for everyone that's also not bothering to be fucking lazy and cheap. I mean, there's even an Orson Welles reference in there. Goddamn.

The AV Club wrote an article about Superbad and it's relation to the "into the night" style of films - After Hours, Into The Night, Something Wild... and it's an apt comparison. These are films I already have an affinity for and it's nice to see someone mining that niche     
in cinema. It's a style of film that can go anywhere, and if you do it right, be really absurd and wild without losing the audience. I shoul stop before I start saying that this film takes chances, or is daring... it might not. But it certainly is refreshing.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.