Bubba Ho-Tep

Started by Xixax, January 11, 2003, 10:16:08 AM

Find Your Magali

Quote from: themodernage02BUBBA HO-TEP is coming to DVD on May 25th. MGM is putting out the disc in the US. Don't know if there's any video/DVD distribution set up out of the US just yet.  There are rumored commentaries, including one with Bruce as the "real" Elvis watching the film and commenting as it unfolds. I'm sure Don will have a commentary, as well, but I do know for a fact that the DVD will include excerpts from Joe R. Lansdale's original short story "Bubba Ho-Tep" read by the author himself.  As well as lots of other goodies are going to be on the disc (or discs), but the above is what I know as of now. I'll keep you up to date on this one, folks. Mark the calendars! May 25th Elvis kicks some ass on DVD!

Great news. I'm marking my calendar! It seems like we've been talking about this film FOREVER. In fact, wasn't it filmed when Elvis was actually still alive?

MacGuffin

MGM's Bubba Ho-Tep: Special Edition is coming May 25th (SRP $27.98 ). Word is the disc is going to include anamorphic widescreen video, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, three audio commentary tracks including one with director Don Coscarelli, one with cast members Bruce Campbell and Ossie Smith, and another with Campbell in character as Elvis, deleted scenes, several behind-the-scenes featurettes and interviews, and more.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

Um, do they have a poster of that DVD cover? 'Cause I want that baaaad.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

modage

Quote from: RaikusUm, do they have a poster of that DVD cover? 'Cause I want that baaaad.

http://www.bubbahotep.com/miniposter.html

Mini-poster measures 11" X 17" $5.00 USD + $3.05 for shipping rolled in a tube (additional posters $0.50 each)

also 'full-size' posters with different design available on the official site too.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Raikus

Excellent.

Thanks.

I like the DVD cover much better than the theatrical.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Raikus

Finally saw the movie last night. I revelled in the camp of it. I enjoyed mostly every second of Campbell's Presley or Haff and thought the flashbacks were handled very well. The multitude of establishing shots started to annoy me, and the movie really needed an ambient sountrack, but all in all I had a good time.

My wife, however, didn't. I was pretty surprised she didn't see any good quality about the movie. She's a fan of the Evil Dead series and even read If Chins Could Kill before I did--so it's not the Campbell factor. She just couldn't accept the movie as campy fun, I guess.

Anyway, I'll be getting the DVD for the "Elvis" comentary among other things.

Sebastian Haff

Oh, man, if you only knew...

I AM SO THERE!!!

Weak2ndAct

Ah, now I see why this movie didn't get any kind of release... ugh, so disappointing, and what a sloppy mess of a movie.  Yeah, it's amusing to see Bruce as 'the King,' but that's about as much praise I could give.  I hope the dvd gets cleaned up from the version I saw (a rental screener), because it just looks like shit-- especially those nights scenes-- and is barely on par with 16mm student films.  Yeah, I know they only had half a mil, but so what?  If you have a weak, clumsy screenplay-- good cinematography or not-- the movie ain't gonna work.  My gripes are far too many (bug effects, clumsy intros, abrupt tone shifts, no arcs, too many fucking flash cuts for no reason) for any kind of recommendation.  For Bruce fanatics only.

SPOILERS BELOW... swipe

And um, what the fuck is up with the way Bubba is disposed of?  So, he's set on fire once, lives, then they set him on fire again, he falls in a creek (wouldn't that be a good thing), and THEN he dies?  Sheesh!

RegularKarate

your robotic movie-reviewing auto-reactions don't allow you to enjoy this film.

Weak2ndAct

Your Campbell-geek-love is blinding you.

RegularKarate

I've gone without seeing plenty of his films.  

If anything, it would be Coscarelli-geek-love.  If you got B-flicks like this, you would know that.

Weak2ndAct

Well, I'm of the camp that doesn't like Phantasm (b/c it doesn't even make sense to me), so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Ravi

meatball

Saw it on DVD. Disappointing.

MacGuffin

Overall, I enjoyed the campiness of the film, but it is a one-joke premise and the explanation of the ho-tep is all laid out with spoken exposition, rather than it being shown. And I kinda wanted more horror because the set-up of the Lynchian empty corridors and flickering lights was excellent. But it, in a way, is a nice love letter to Elvis; I felt sympathy for him when he reflected on missing Prescilla and Lisa Marie. Campbell and Davis were hilarious, and there are some great one-liners.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks