Bubba Ho-Tep

Started by Xixax, January 11, 2003, 10:16:08 AM

MacGuffin

Actor Campbell Escapes Weekend Accident

RUCH, Ore. - Bruce Campbell, an actor whose credits include "Evil Dead," "Hercules," "Xena, Warrior Princess" and "Spider-Man," suffered minor injuries in a weekend accident.

Campbell, 45, of Jacksonville, was driving late Saturday when his car was struck by a Jeep driven by 36-year-old Steven M. Sellars of Medford.

Sellars, who was ejected from his vehicle and struck the windshield of the Explorer, was listed in critical condition Sunday with head injuries.

Campbell, who has a cult following among horror film buffs, was treated at a local hospital and released.

The Jackson County Sheriff's Department cited Sellars for driving under the influence of intoxicants, assault, failing to maintain lane of travel, driving with a suspended license and for outstanding traffic tickets.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: cinemanarchistI'm at Full Sail right now and most of the student work is horrible. The screenwriting class is a month long and they refuse to grade you on content, so all you learn is format. For those who know screenwriting already, you don't learn anything, for those who don't know anything, they learn format. I still think this place is a ton of fun and there is more equipment here than at most film schools and it's much more hands on. I'm enjoying it but I'm sure it won't get me a job, you've got to do that on your own.

This was my overall impression of it... great fun and you get to use some great fucking equipment.

So you're in the screenwriting class now?  Is Tuscanni still teaching it?  That guy was awesome... he was like the Dude meets George Carlin.

Do you know what position you're gonna apply for for final film project?

cinemanarchist

Quote from: RegularKarate

This was my overall impression of it... great fun and you get to use some great fucking equipment.

So you're in the screenwriting class now?  Is Tuscanni still teaching it?  That guy was awesome... he was like the Dude meets George Carlin.

Do you know what position you're gonna apply for for final film project?

Dustin Lee teaches screenwriting now and he is fucking horrible, and so was the entire class for that matter. When my screenplay was critiqued I mentioned to them that it wasn't supposed to follow structure, that I did that on purpose...to which they replied, "have you ever heard of robert mckee," to which I asked them if they had ever seen adaptation, and if they had, did they get it at all. I'm actually in film history(which is a joke for me) and lighting(which is alot of fun) I would like to sign up to direct the 35 project but they are in talks to have rotating positions on that as well now, which we would all violently protest. We watched "Daughter" in lighting today, which was the film by Eduardo Rodriiguez that got him the three picture miramax deal(which he did while at fsu film school) That thing fucking blew my mind, check it out if you get the chance...and it also sucked when watched along side full sail films...but with the right talent you can make something really good with the equipment at full sail, but with the restrictive rotating positions of the projects, you have to shoot your film outside of school, which is what myself and most of my friends are doing.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Raikus

Quote from: cinemanarchistWe watched "Daughter" in lighting today, which was the film by Eduardo Rodriiguez that got him the three picture miramax deal(which he did while at fsu film school)
That's right. Represent.

[/FSU Pride]
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

Quote from: cinemanarchist
Dustin Lee teaches screenwriting now and he is fucking horrible, and so was the entire class for that matter. When my screenplay was critiqued I mentioned to them that it wasn't supposed to follow structure, that I did that on purpose...to which they replied, "have you ever heard of robert mckee," to which I asked them if they had ever seen adaptation, and if they had, did they get it at all. I'm actually in film history(which is a joke for me) and lighting(which is alot of fun) I would like to sign up to direct the 35 project but they are in talks to have rotating positions on that as well now, which we would all violently protest. We watched "Daughter" in lighting today, which was the film by Eduardo Rodriiguez that got him the three picture miramax deal(which he did while at fsu film school) That thing fucking blew my mind, check it out if you get the chance...and it also sucked when watched along side full sail films...but with the right talent you can make something really good with the equipment at full sail, but with the restrictive rotating positions of the projects, you have to shoot your film outside of school, which is what myself and most of my friends are doing.

Shame about no Tuscani... anyway, good call on making a film outside of school... that's what we did, we made a music video for a local band there and learned quite a bit doing it.

It would suck if they decided to rotate for the 35, but if they don't, I would say that unless a really good script gets picked for the final film, apply for a more technical position, you will learn so much more than if you direct.  All you'll learn while directing is how to deal with whole bunch of people who don't know what's going on, including most of the actors.  (we had one pretty good one and a whole bunch of other shitty ones, so when the good one was good, it made it look worse because he was surrounded with shit talent).

Our Film history teacher was superb... he was one of the best instructors there, but after we left his class he left Full Sail to go back to school because he was just too damn smart to be teaching there.

Holden Pike

Finally got to see Bubba Ho-Tep this weekend. It's fun, a good little B-movie of a flick. Of course it's a one-joke premise, but that one joke is mined pretty effectively, and with zero budget. Bruce Campbell is a fu*king god. How are he and Jack Black not automatically cast in every single movie ever made? And if I ever get a puss-filled "what is that thing?" on my crankshaft, I'm gonna name it after my ex-wife and pop it while I whack-off too. Great plan!  I hear ya, King.

"I was gyratin', takin' care of business, when....my hip."

So many great lines, I'm going to have to see this one again. Definitely worth a look when it comes to your town.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream, it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film."
- Frank Capra

modage

i finally got to see bubba ho-tep today after over a year of reading about it.  the goddamn 90 minute movie cost me about 5 1/2 hours to get up to baltimore and back to see it, so that put a damper on the experience.  it was good, but like i said, had it taken me a few minutes to walk down to my local indie theatre i wouldve enjoyed myself a lot more than the hour and a half drive i took.  oh well.  i'd like to see it again on dvd, it was funny.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

WooHoo... seeing it again tonight... just talked my wife into seeing it at the Alamo (had to agree to pay for the food and drinks there too)... this is a difficult thing with my Wife because, while she usually has great taste in movies, she has almost no appreciation for this sort of thing...

I told her it's not like Evil Dead... she agreed to go... SUCKER!

anyway... I'm excited to see if I still like it after all these months.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

analogzombie

I just saw it tonight. I liked it. Bruce Campbell was great and Ossie Davis played the whole JFK thing brilliantly. However, I felt the gross-out humor just kind of went on too long. It was a bit overkill, but I suppose they had to pack it in to fill space. Also the Mummy was actually more minimal in the film than I had expected. And I think there are probably a few scenes with the nurse that got cut, it feels a little undone with her character. For that matter the character development was a wee bit thin too.

I dunno why I'm nit-picking this thing. Probably due to all the hype surrounding it. I did like it, and will probably get it on DVD, if only to have that Campbell performance. But I'd give it a B- as a film. Good, funny, but not great.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Xixax

Fresh off a viewing of this. Brilliant. Effing brilliant!

It made me realize how much I enjoyed Coscarelli's directing. Having been a student of the Phantasm films for over 20 years, I could smell Don's visual style all over this one. Even if it weren't for the cameos of Phastasm alumni Heidi Marnhout and Reggie Bannister, I'd have taken this for a Coscarelli flick in a heartbeat. The long hallways, the quick-cut mental flashbacks. All signature.

What I had not counted on in my limited exposure to this movie was that it was actually a comedy. I was expecting "monster movie" kind of thing, when in reality, it was a comedy masquerading as a campy horror flick.

You have to absolutely love a guy like Don Coscarelli. The whole thing was made for under 500 grand (from photography to marketing - start to finish). He should have no trouble recouping that and then some when this one hits video. From what I hear, he's basically footing the bill himself for distribution, prints, etc. Indie in every sense of the word. You gotta love it.

The phrase is thrown around all too freely, but I think this one really is destined to become a cult classic.

I think it did exactly what it set out to do. Entertain, with tongue planted firmly in cheek the whole time.

Don and I have exchanged e-mails on occasion in the past. I think I'm going to write him and tell him he is god. And maybe ask him if I can do a phone interview for Xixax if anyone's interested. I'm sure he'd have some good words for the wannabe-indie-filmmakers that hang here.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Ghostboy

That would be awesome, Mike!

I've actually never seen any of the Phantasm movies, though. But I really enjoyed Bubba Ho Tep, and that he made it for so cheap is just wonderful.

Xixax

The more I dig into this movie, the more I love it...

This from IMDB:

"Only six prints of the film were originally made, causing its extremely limited and on-going release schedule. The Soul of Southern Film Festival, in Memphis, Tennessee, paid for a seventh print, so that they wouldn't have to wait another year to show the film."

And this audio interview from NPR (which includes some great audio clips from the film which will whet your appetite if you haven't seen it):
http://freshair.npr.org/day_fa.jhtml?display=day&todayDate=09/23/2003
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

modage

BUBBA HO-TEP is coming to DVD on May 25th. MGM is putting out the disc in the US. Don't know if there's any video/DVD distribution set up out of the US just yet.  There are rumored commentaries, including one with Bruce as the "real" Elvis watching the film and commenting as it unfolds. I'm sure Don will have a commentary, as well, but I do know for a fact that the DVD will include excerpts from Joe R. Lansdale's original short story "Bubba Ho-Tep" read by the author himself.  As well as lots of other goodies are going to be on the disc (or discs), but the above is what I know as of now. I'll keep you up to date on this one, folks. Mark the calendars! May 25th Elvis kicks some ass on DVD!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: MacGuffinCampbell, 45, of Jacksonville

Jacksonville, Fl?