Rambo

Started by MacGuffin, January 20, 2005, 02:51:12 AM

Kal

I guess its not an Oscar contender  :yabbse-grin:

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Rambo Goes to Hell and Back
Source: ComingSoon

Lionsgate has a new name for writer/director/producer/star Sylvester Stallone's latest Rambo installment -- Rambo to Hell and Back. Co-starring Julie Benz, Matthew Marsden, Graham McTavish, Rey Gallegos, Jake La Botz, Tim Kang and Paul Schulze, the action-thriller opens in theaters on January 25.

Here's how the studio describes the movie:

Twenty years after the last film in the series, John Rambo (Sylvester Stallone) has retreated to northern Thailand, where he's running a longboat on the Salween River. On the nearby Thai-Burma (Myanmar) border, the world's longest-running civil war, the Burmese-Karen conflict, rages into its 60th year. But Rambo, who lives a solitary, simple life in the mountains and jungles fishing and catching poisonous snakes to sell, has long given up fighting, even as medics, mercenaries, rebels and peace workers pass by on their way to the war-torn region.

That all changes when a group of human rights missionaries search out the "American river guide" John Rambo. When Sarah (Julie Benz) and Michael Bennett (Paul Schulze) approach him, they explain that since last year's trek to the refugee camps, the Burmese military has laid landmines along the road, making it too dangerous for overland travel. They ask Rambo to guide them up the Salween and drop them off, so they can deliver medical supplies and food to the Karen tribe. After initially refusing to cross into Burma, Rambo takes them, dropping off Sarah, Michael and the aid workers...

Less than two weeks later, pastor Arthur Marsh (Ken Howard) finds Rambo and tells him the aid workers did not return and the embassies have not helped locate them. He tells Rambo he's mortgaged his home and raised money from his congregation to hire mercenaries to get the missionaries, who are being held captive by the Burmese army. Although the United States military trained him to be a lethal super soldier in Vietnam, decades later Rambo's reluctance for violence and conflict are palpable, his scars faded, yet visible. However, the lone warrior knows what he must do...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

pffffffffffffff

lets kick some ass

MacGuffin

Stallone drops Rambo title after fan scorn
Source: Guardian Unlimited

Rambo is changing names as fast as he reloads weapons. Last week, it was announced that the forthcoming fourth movie in the franchise would be called Rambo: to Hell and Back, but after the new name received a trashing from film fans online, Sylvester Stallone has now reverted to the original title: John Rambo. According to reports, Stallone told the influential Harry Knowles of the Ain't It Cool News website that he thought "the title John Rambo was derivative of Rocky Balboa and might give people the idea that this is the last Rambo film, and I don't necessarily feel that it will be". Knowles reportedly told him he hated the new title and preferred the original moniker, to which Sly responded: "Alright, that's the title. John Rambo." The fourth adventure sees our traumatised Vietnam vet heading to the Burmese-Thai border to rescue a group of missing charity workers.

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

the fuck happened to JOHN?

and wow banksy sold out..
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

New Music Video Trailer here.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Saw this today.  Got just about what I wanted/expected.  Little dialogue, tons of ridiculously bloody action.  The bad guys are bad, and the people Rambo has to rescue are idiots.  Good old jingoistic, Reagan-era, kill-the-savages action.

I wish the end of the final action sequence had a little something more, though.  Something even more over the top.  But its pretty goddamn over the top as it is.

pete

it only felt like half of a movie.  it was really simple - missionaries get fucked up, rambo tries to rescue them, rambo blows everybody up.  there were a lot of really cool scenes, but the carnage in the beginning seems to promise a lot more.  the last 10 minutes was rambo sitting behind the machine gun and firing for about 10 minutes.  I remember in the last movie he used all modes of transportation and used all sorts of weapons.  in this one he just keeps on winning and winning until the movie ends.  it makes references to his other skills but they're only passing references.  for the most part rambo just shoots with a giant machine gun for 10 minutes.
but still, the carnage is a lot of fun - people get blown to pieces in very entertaining manners.  the movie hides its jingoism through maximal violence and minimal dialogue, but it's obvious what type of mindset it operates from.  coupling this movie up with Rocky Balboa goes to show how shrewd Stallone is as a filmmaker.  In the final Rocky he paints the portrait of the sad clown/ old fool so nobody can laugh at the ridiculous storyline - the characters ridicule Rocky enough.  In Rambo he has idiot missionaries preaching innocuous American imperialism, and having Rambo scoff at it, but the ensuing carnage leaves Rambo no choice but to blow people up.  In both movies, they try to subvert cynicism by having their characters proclaim their simplicity, and both have them have similar speeches about "this is who I am/ this is all I know how to do".  It is much easier for the audience to relinquish skepticism this way.  the good news is, the scripts' own fabricated skepticism limits the amount of jingoistic bullshit the movies are allowed to preach, the bad news is, some kids are gonna walk away with rejuvenated ignorance, and other folks will again feel a bit dirtier as Americans.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

NEON MERCURY

\\\SPOILERS///

i thought this was good.  it was stupid, insane, action.  i can't believe they shoot a kid and then threw another one in the fire.  it was funny.  usually the kids don't die but these kids got died.  it will buy the blu-ray.  i liked the ending when rambo walked home to arizona?   i didn't see the guy who got his head punched off.   :yabbse-sad:    everything happened so fast.  this is all just action.  it reminds me if you take all those dumb but fun action movies and splice them together to create one large action sequence then speed it up.  that's the film.  if anyone goes to see this and hates then they aren't that smart.  what would anyone expect out of rambo iv?  i will say that the first trailer got me hooked.  congrats to those things at millenuim films.  i know this review is stupid.