Black Swan

Started by Astrostic, January 18, 2007, 11:01:36 PM

Astrostic

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957718.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Aronofsky to direct 'Black Swan'
Universal fast-tracking ballet script
By MICHAEL FLEMING
Universal Pictures and Darren Aronofsky have turned to the world of ballet for what they hope will be his next directing effort.

The studio has acquired "Black Swan," a psychological thriller to be produced by Aronofsky's Protozoa and Mike Medavoy's Phoenix Pictures.

Aronofsky is attached to direct, and John McLaughlin has begun writing a thriller that looks at the manipulative relationship between a veteran dancer and a rival. The studio is fast-tracking the project for Aronofsky, who most recently helmed "The Fountain."

Eric Watson, who partners with Aronofsky in their U-based Protozoa shingle, will produce with Phoenix's Medavoy and Arnie Messer. Brad Fischer and David Thwaites will exec produce.

Aronofsky and Watson previously worked with McLaughlin on an HBO series pilot on haunted housing, as well as "Song of Kali," a Protozoa-produced adaptation of Dan Simmons' terror novel for New Regency.

"Black Swan" was set up at Universal on the basis of a detailed outline hatched by the director and writer.

Phoenix, which debuts the Rod Lurie-directed "Resurrecting the Champ" at Sundance this weekend, has a busy spring. Paramount opens the David Fincher-directed "Zodiac" on March 2, and Fox bows the Marcus Nispel-directed "Pathfinder" in April. Warner Bros. releases the Ken Kwapis-directed comedy "License to Wed" on July 4.

MacGuffin

Natalie Portman to sing 'Swan' song
Actress attached to Darren Aronofsky thriller
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Darren Aronofsky's "Black Swan" could soon be taking flight.

After being set up in early 2007 at Universal, the project -- a supernatural thriller set in the world of New York City ballet -- has been reconstituted after being put into turnaround by the studio. It has been making the rounds to studios and specialty divisions, several of which are keenly interested.

Among the elements giving it a boost: Natalie Portman is attached to play the lead.

Several other changes have occurred since the Aronofsky-helmed project was first developed by Universal.

Mark Heyman, a development exec at Aronofsky's Protozoa Pictures, has done a rewrite of John McLaughlin's original script for the pic, which Mike Medavoy's Phoenix Pictures and Protozoa are producing.

Aronofsky, meanwhile, has gone on to helm the critical and commercial favorite "The Wrestler," putting him in high demand.

CAA packaged and is selling "Swan"; it also reps Portman and Aronofsky.

"Swan" centers on a veteran ballerina (Portman) who finds herself locked in a competitive situation with a rival dancer, with the stakes and twists increasing as the dancers approach a big performance. But it's unclear whether the rival is a supernatural apparition or if the protagonist is simply having delusions.

Those who've read the script say it's a spine-tingler with elements of "The Others," the Nicole Kidman breakout in which viewers are left to discern what's real and what's imagined.

If a sale happens imminently, "Swan" could begin shooting as early as this year. Aronofsky has not committed to a movie that's ready to go, though he has been developing the "Robocop" reboot at MGM.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

I hope this is something Aronofsky is passionate about. He's got a lot of clout right now and this is his kind of get out of jail free card. If there was ever a time to make something he's passionate about that he may never be able to make again, this is that time. I wonder how The Fountain would have turned out if he had this same sort of clout when he was attempting to get that made. Regardless of how his next project turns out, he'll get another chance to make something.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Mila Kunis hunts 'Black Swan'
Starring opposite Natalie Portman in Aronofsky's drama
Source: Hollywood Reporter

SAN DIEGO -- Mila Kunis will be Natalie Portman's nemesis.

The actress is in discussions to star opposite Portman in Darren Aronofsky's supernatural drama "Black Swan." The pic centers on a talented ballerina (Portman) in the New York City Ballet who is tormented by a rival who might or might not be a figment of the dancer's imagination.

Kunis will play the rival, Lilly, with strange occurrences between the two increasing as they prepare for a big performance.

Kunis, who broke out with her role as Jason Segel's love interest in last year's "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," was among the standouts at Comic-Con during the weekend. The actress, repped by CAA and Curtis Management, turned out to promote turns in Denzel Washington starrer "The Book of Eli," the Ben Affleck-toplined comedy "Extract" and her voice role in the animated Fox series "Family Guy."

Kunis also is set to co-star in the relationship comedy "Date Night" alongside Steve Carell and Tina Fey.

"Swan" is set to begin shooting in the fall in New York. Aronofksy's Protozoa Pictures is producing with Mike Medavoy's Phoenix Pictures. The project is being financed independently, with Michael London's Groundswell Prods. believed to be one of the lead financiers.

The project does not have distribution, but Fox Searchlight, which distributed Aronofsky's "The Wrestler," could come on board as it moves into production.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Aronofsky's Swan Attracts Ryder, Cassel
Source: ShockTillYouDrop

Darren Aronofsky's next directorial effort, and supernatural thriller, Black Swan has found its co-stars.

According to Slash Film, Vincent Cassel, Winona Ryder and Barbara Hershey will join previously announced cast members Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis.

The film centers on a veteran ballerina (Portman) who finds herself locked in a competitive situation with a rival dancer, with the stakes and twists increasing as the dancers approach a big performance. But it's unclear whether the rival is a supernatural apparition or if the protagonist is simply having delusions.

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

I liked this script, which you can find here.

If you'd like to know my thoughts, highlight the text below because there will be mild spoilers (but not as spoilerful as the script review two posts above this one).

This script is a slow burn, which bothered the script reviewer from ScriptShadow, but I enjoyed it.  Then again, I found Robert Altman's The Company, which is meandering and patiently observant, absolutely riveting (and it's become one of my favorite films).  This script for Black Swan takes some time with the detail of putting on a ballet show, and is fairly good at taking you into the world of ballet.  The whole first half of the script is about this world and about Natalie Portman's character, who is very insecure, struggling to find the confidence to play the lead role in Swan Lake.

I thought it was all very effective and I really sided with her and felt her struggle.  I appreciated that it took the time to set this up, because it makes the last half all the most intense when it comes.  I won't say anything too specific about that, though.  Anyway, I was never bored with the script.

The script suits Aronofsky well, I think.  The end has moments of horrifying absurdity, which would look silly in the hands of an incapable director, but Aronofsky has shown that he can pull off horrifying absurdity (i.e., Sara Goldfarb's refrigerator coming to life in Requiem for a Dream) and actually make it horrifying.  But this will be a challenge for Aronofsky, just because he'll really have to sell us on the ballet stuff, and this has movie stars instead of real dancers.  Aronofsky did a good job with taking us into the world of wrestling with The Wrestler; he'll have to do the same with this film, but ballet dancers train forever to be as good as they are, and I'd hate to see weak dancing in this film.  I'm optimistic though, because I don't think Aronofsky would let it slide, and he has a good eye for what looks realistic and what looks actory.

Natalie Portman's "rival" is supposed to look a lot like her, and I don't feel like Mila Kunis looks enough like her to have been the best cast person for this role.  Also, I am worried about their abilities as dancers.  They're really supposed to be amazing dancers, and there are a lot of scenes that rely on the dancing being jaw-droppingly good.  We'll see what happens with that.  But there are moments when Mila's character repeatedly fades in and out of looking exactly like Natalie Portman, and I thought that would have worked better of the actress playing Mila's part looked a lot like Natalie to begin with.  However, it's only Natalie Portman's character who ever points out that they look similar, and she is not really of sound mind when she says this stuff.

As far as the two looking similar and how that gets repeatedly blurred so that you're not sure who's who, it's reminiscent of Persona and Mulholland Drive and Fight Club, but this is a much more straight-forward film than those are.  The film is a psychological drama/gothic tragedy, and a pretty good one.

There are a few things that could use better development, but I know that I haven't read the latest draft.  I think what I've read is close to the final draft, but I think Aronofsky did a pass after this one.  The draft I read was written by Mark Heyman, which is a re-write of the original draft by John McLaughlin.  Probably the weakest element for me is the generic, kinda cliche bitchiness/competition/jealousy among the dancers.  A movie like The Company showed that that stuff doesn't really exist in that way, but it's kind of a tradition of dancing movies and it raises the dramatic stakes... so it's here.

There's probably more I could say, but I think I've said enough for now.  I look forward to seeing it.

Ghostboy

Agreed on the dancing. I bet they'll do some face replacement, a la Cate Blanchett dancing in Benjamin Button.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

manic chris martin is in this?
under the paving stones.

Just Withnail

and he has a hover-scarf that he operates with a little hand-pad

picolas

you left out the freakiest photo:

a friend has noticed how different nat and mila's meals are in this photo.. perhaps port takes the ballet super seriously (exotic salad dish) but mila doesn't even have to try and is just as talented (big ol cheeseburger)? sort of a falooza-esque rivalry?

Pubrick

Yes also notice that one is super hot and that the other has done nothing for me lately.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Naw. They're both really pretty. Especially NatPo.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

I feel like Natalie's approximately five years away from being described as "a handsome woman".

To put it another way, she's currently about a six on the Blanchett scale.
My house, my rules, my coffee