Underdog

Started by MacGuffin, June 20, 2005, 06:02:09 PM

MacGuffin

Underdog is Here
Live-action redo of classic toon.

Underdog, the classic TV cartoon featuring a canine superhero, is headed to the big screen in the form of a live-action/CG flick from Disney and Spyglass Entertainment. Today's Variety reveals that the studios have high hopes for the property as a potential franchise and expect to kick-off pre-production in November with a January start in mind. The film may shoot in Vancouver, Canada.

The cartoon, which debuted on NBC in 1964, featured Underdog vigilantly protecting his would-be girlfriend, ace news reporter Sweet Polly Purebred from all sorts of trouble.  Underdog villains included underworld boss Riff Raff, and Simon Barsinister, a mad scientist who once created a Big Dipper Machine to steal the world's water supply.

Variety adds that the script, by Joe Piscatella and Craig A. Williams, tells the origin story of the doggy hero. The tale begins as a diminutive hound named Shoeshine gets superpowers after a lab accident. When he's adopted by a 12-year-old boy, the two form a bond around the shared knowledge that Shoeshine is actually Underdog.  Sweet Polly Purebred, will be featured and mad scientist Simon Barsinister will be the film's bad... err.. dog.

The canine characters will be realized using real dogs with computer-animated enhancements.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

The teaser is currently up at http://home.disney.go.com/movies/.  There is no direct link that I can find, but it should be the first thing that plays after an ad for Bridge to Terabithia.

Anyway, all I have to say is... fuck.

MacGuffin

Quote from: matt35mm on February 21, 2007, 08:38:26 PMThere is no direct link that I can find

Release Date: August 3rd, 2007 (wide)

Starring: Alex Neuberger, Diz White, Peter Dinklage, James Belushi, Jason Lee

Directed by: Frederik Du Chau 

Premise: A bumbling watchdog gets exposed to a substance that gives him the powers of a superhero. He is adopted by a 12-year-old boy and uses his superpower to protect his love and the citizens of Capitol City from the evil Simon Barsinister.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reinhold

i read the Superbad thread and decided to go see it. Despite finding Superbad show times online for today at my local theater, i went and they informed me that it wouldn't be out for another week out here. so i asked for a ticket to Hot Rod-- or rather, i meant to ask for a ticket to Hot Rod, but I misspoke and asked for a ticket to Underdog. That's what i ended up seeing because there wasn't anything else playing for 3 hours anyway.

Quote from: matt35mm on February 21, 2007, 08:38:26 PM
Anyway, all I have to say is... fuck.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.