Hairspray (2007)

Started by MacGuffin, September 08, 2006, 11:13:57 AM

MacGuffin

Teasing out Travolta
Source: USA TODAY

Hollywood musicals haven't been a sure thing lately, so the brain trust behind Hairspray wanted a ringer for their remake.

And who better than the guy who cut a rug in Grease and Saturday Night Fever?

"John Travolta is our generation's greatest musical star," says Hairspray producer Neil Meron. "With those two movies, he became an icon of movie musicals. And there aren't many left."

Nor are there many hits. After Moulin Rouge and Chicago, many predicted Hollywood would be dancing its way to a genre revival. But The Producers, Rent and The Phantom of the Opera stumbled.

So filmmakers needed a star who sings as well as he acts, says director Adam Shankman. Travolta, in drag, plays Edna Turnblad, whose daughter Tracy (newcomer Nikki Blonsky) confronts racism in 1960s Baltimore. Travolta inherits the role from Divine in the original 1988 film and Harvey Fierstein in the Broadway show.

The real discovery, Shankman says, is the chemistry between the veteran and rookie. "When she walked on set for the first time, it was like she had been doing it for 30 years. John melts around her. They are so cute together, it's unbelievable."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Kal

I think that is how he really will look 25 years from now after several cirguries and 2 sequels to Saturday Night Fever

bonanzataz

i'm gonna have to say, after seeing that picture, the casting of travolta is...

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

That really sucks... too many names... sucks!

grand theft sparrow

No more teasers without footage!  Get John Waters to do a trailer for this.

Pubrick

We're the good guys, Michael. We're the good guys, Michael. We're the good guys, Michael. We're the good guys, Michael. We're the good guys, Michael. We're the good guys, Michael. 
We're the good guys, Michael. We're the good guys, Michael. We're the good guys, Michael. We're the good guys, Michael. We're the good guys, Michael. We're the good guys, Michael.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release Date: July 20th, 2007 (wide) 

Starring: John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, Queen Latifah, Amanda Bynes, Brittany Snow, Nicole Blonsky, Zac Efron 

Directed by: Adam Shankman (The Pacifier; A Walk To Remember)

Premise: Set in Baltimore during the 1960s dance TV craze, a zaftig high school hairhopper, Tracy Turnblad, graduates from outsider to celebrity trendsetter and along the way she stars on "The Corny Collins Show," wins the heart of resident hunk Link Larkin and kicks down the barriers for black and white integration on local television.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

John Travolta is on less than 10 seconds in that trailer, what the fuck is that

MacGuffin

In brief: Travolta under fire for Hairspray
Source: Guardian Unlimited

John Travolta has hit back at gay rights activists who have called for a boycott of his new film, Hairspray. Travolta reprises the late Divine's role as the oversized Edna Turnblad in the forthcoming remake of John Waters' kitsch 1988 comedy. But critics, including the editor of leading gay newspaper Washington Blade, have claimed that the actor has "no business" playing an iconic gay role because they allege that his Scientology faith is homophobic. However, Travolta defended the role in an interview with The Scoop website. "There is nothing gay in this movie," he said. "I'm not playing a gay man. Scientology is not homophobic in any way. In fact, it's one of the more tolerant faiths. Anyone's accepted."

Skeleton FilmWorks