Paprika

Started by Pwaybloe, September 08, 2006, 09:38:53 AM

Pwaybloe

Paprika

"Paprika" (パプリカ, papurika?) is a Japanese animated science fiction film based on the 1993 novel Paprika by Yasutaka Tsutsui about a female detective who investigates criminal cases by entering the dreams of her subjects. It is being directed by Satoshi Kon and animated by Madhouse Studios. The music is being composed by Susumu Hirasawa.

Its world premiere will take place at the 63rd Venice International Film Festival from August 30—September 9, 2006.  It will also compete at the 19th Tokyo International Film Festival from October 21—29, 2006 as the opening screening for the 2006 TIFF Animation CG Festival.  It is tentatively scheduled for theatrical releases on January 2007 in Japan and March 2007 in the United States.

polkablues

Well, it's gotta be better than "The Cell", right?
My house, my rules, my coffee

squints

I recently saw this twice. It was great. Confusing, as most of Satoshi kon's movies are but this is his best work since Perfect blue.
here's a link to a site where you can get the dvd for $11. That's a steal:
http://sundevildvd.com/store/product.php?productid=17610
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

davidchili

watched it on dvd,  kinda disappointed me.I'm a big fan of the director Satoshi Kon.when i first saw the stills from the film i was expecting somthing like Perfect Blue. after seeing it i think it would be better to be developed into a television series, like Paranoia Agent.the story kicked off pretty awsome but went down from the middle where there was no suspense left  and people doing things for no reason.  Paprika was visually stylized and cool(I was constantly reminded of Michel Gondry's film while watching it), the concept was cool, but it just didn't go well.
good dreamer, bad sleeper.