Blades Of Glory

Started by MacGuffin, November 17, 2005, 12:37:07 AM

MacGuffin

Pair skating toward deal for 'Blades'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Will Ferrell and Jon Heder might be lacing up their skates alongside Will Arnett and Amy Poehler for "Blades of Glory."

Red Hour Films' Ben Stiller and Stuart Cornfeld are producing the DreamWorks comedy with John Jacobs of First Entertainment. Tackling the competitive world of ice skating will be the commercial directing duo Josh Gordon and Will Speck.

"Blades" revolves around a pair of world-class men's figure skaters who are banned from the sport after their disgraceful brawl during the Winter Games in Salt Lake City. After three years of toiling in obscurity, they attempt to put aside their feud and exploit a loophole in the terms of their suspension, partnering to compete in the only category open to them -- pairs figure skating.

Serious talks are under way to have Ferrell and Heder star as the disgraced pair, with Arnett and Poehler playing their rivals. Sources cautioned, however, that salary and scheduling concerns could sideline the prospective deal.

The pairing of Arnett and Poehler would mark the first time the real-life husband-and-wife team will act together onscreen.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatwad

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 17, 2005, 12:37:07 AM
The pairing of Arnett and Poehler would mark the first time the real-life husband-and-wife team will act together onscreen.

in a movie. they were together on arrested development

Ravi

What the hell is Jon Heder doing with those people?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Alethia

or just joining them because he's funny

MacGuffin

Pics: Will Ferrell in Blades of Glory

The Blades of Glory brief: Two rival Olympic figure skaters are stripped of their medals and banned from the sport after a nasty brawl at the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. After years of obscurity, the two men put aside their differences and exploit a loophole that allows them to compete in the pairs figure skating category.

Ferrell stars opposite Napoleon Dynamite's Jon Heder. The Red Hour production, directed by commercial duo Josh Gordon and Will Speck, is scheduled for release through DreamWorks/Paramount in late March.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

That is the strangest poster EVER. :shock:
It's like someone failed at tetris.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

ono

Maximize your browser window if possible.  The poster's cut up into pieces.

The Perineum Falcon

Well, I can't make it any bigger than the screen.

Why would someone make a poster bigger than that??!

I guess it's not terribly important, as I probably won't see this movie when it comes out, based on the trailer.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek237

I just came back from seeing it. It had some decent laughs, and I generally liked it, but compared to Anchorman (which sets the standard for all Ferrel films as far as most people are concerned), it wasn't anything great. I probably didn't like it as much as Talladega Nights, either, but I appreciate the fact that it at least didn't try to make the characters go through profound life changes and learn important life lessons, like Ricky Bobby went through. I don't care for John Heder too much, but he was creepy in a funny kind of way in this one...he has that person-of-indeterminate-gender kind of appeal.

I would reccomend this, for video at least, for the following reasons:

1. I don't care what you say: Will Ferrel topless and/or bottomless is and always will be funny.

2. Craig T. Nelson as the coach. Brilliant casting. It would never have occurred to me to have Coach play the coach.

3. Incest is funny.

4. Some pretty cool skating sequences (only rarely ruined by obvious green screen effects)

5. The video from Korea that they watch for research. I won't say any more. But it was hilarious.

A pretty good comedy.

The Red Vine

I thought this was fucking terrible.

I chuckled only once througout the entire movie. Ferrell has become boring and Heder is just playing the nerd again. But their performances are annoying instead of entertaining.

It's just such a lame and unfunny movie. This and "300" are on my list of the worst films of the decade.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">