Elizabethtown

Started by nevereven, March 27, 2003, 03:55:06 PM

Pubrick

it feels like 4 things happen in this movie.

-the phone rings
-bloom flounders
-dunst smiles
-an impossible and completely ridiculous ending

what is this about? can someone tell me the point of at least half the scenes in this thing? an easy example, he puts the urn down, forgets it, they run back to it, omg drama! or how he misses "60B", pulls over, has a shitty cringe-worthy 'comedic' moment of talking to himself, then finds the town randomly. DOUBLE-U TEE EFF.

ok, i'm a sucker for dunst, this was no exception. she carried this movie by kind of having fun with her character but at the same time was limited to one facial expression along with everyone else. i think what i mean by only 4 things happening is a comment on the repetitive plot, which is like a short playlist stuck on a loop. track 1, track 2, track 3, REPEAT, track 1, track 2, track 3. orlando bloom's lack of personality doesn't help. something is happening within scenes, but not between them.. it's really a lot like flipping through channels on tv.

bloom flounders. i just don't like the guy, and even so i'm not gonna blame his boring character on his boring self. the script gave him little to work with.. i just can't understand.. why everyone in the film has just ONE facial reaction?? Judy Greer: 'mom is losing it!'; Susan Sarandon: 'i'm losing it!'; the Jesse dude: 'i'm mellow, dude'; bloom: ' ______ '; dunst: 'smile!' (she is smilerrific, i want to eat her teeth right up).. AND OF COURSE, the big character arc everyone has is that they change this expression right at the end.

funny things. the recurring style of joke in the movie seemed to be a repetition of things that were kinda funny once, not funny the 4th time, and then actually funny cos they just don't shut up. for example when dunst keeps yelling "60B!". there were good parts, i would even say great parts such as the obvious long phone call sequence. it's just not enuff to gel into a great movie, the bits in between are not meaningful and not at all "nostalgic like cinema paradiso" as GT claims.

i'm not gonna read all these damn interviews from the previous pages to get some clues as to what crowe was trying to do here. it's not like there's anything cryptic to decipher, but if there is no meaning what else is there? there's no feeling, it's muddled.
under the paving stones.

Kal

ADMIN EDIT:  SPOILER

its just very unreal that a shoe company loses a BILLION dollar with one shoe... more than that is unreal that they invest so much in one shoe... more than that is impossible that they would invest and lose all that money and blame it on one single person!

he was the designer? fine... what about the marketing? what about endorsements? what about making fucking sense?

homer's car creation and powell motors made more sense when he took his brother to bankrupcy than this... and also something similar made sense in jerry maguire.. which means crowe is not stupid, he just put enfasis in all the wrong things with this movie...

i tried to like it... i really did and i hope if i watch it again i will like it more... but its just boring and has hundreds of scenes that dont lead to anything

what the fuck happened to chuck and all that? i thought they were going to show the wedding at least or something... all the buildup and all the characters and all that crap, just for one little scene with chuck crying?

i dont know... i just dont get how it could be so bad when it had so much potential

MacGuffin

Paramount has set the DVD release for Elizabethtown for 2/7.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Quote from: andykits just very unreal that a shoe company loses a BILLION dollar with one shoe... more than that is unreal that they invest so much in one shoe... more than that is impossible that they would invest and lose all that money and blame it on one single person!

he was the designer? fine... what about the marketing? what about endorsements? what about making fucking sense?

homer's car creation and powell motors made more sense when he took his brother to bankrupcy than this... and also something similar made sense in jerry maguire.. which means crowe is not stupid, he just put enfasis in all the wrong things with this movie...
I didn't think about this.  And you're completely right.  I feel like I was duped.  Duped into believing that this could possibly be the case.  What the fuck?  He was just the fucking designer!  You'd blame marketing because there wasn't any apparent thing wrong with the shoe itself.  Except that it's kinda crap-looking, but then you blame Alec Baldwin for putting all company resources behind that fucking shoe!  I'm angry now.  Thanks, AndyK, you've ruined my day!

Pubrick

from the onion.

Cameron Crowe To Release Only Soundtracks
November 9, 2005 | Issue 41•45

LOS ANGELES—Explaining that his movies were but a small step in the pursuit of a career he has always dreamed about, Almost Famous director Cameron Crowe announced Monday that he is retiring from filmmaking to focus exclusively on soundtracks. "For me, the moving image has become redundant, and I believe that I can more effectively tell stories with carefully chosen music," said Crowe, backed by Electric Light Orchestra's "Do Ya." Crowe's first soundtrack, Walking With Headphones, will begin compilation later this winter for a summer release, with the soundtrack's soundtrack available on Polydor Records
under the paving stones.

The Red Vine

this is very sad. soundtracks would be great for him. but damn, no more films at all???
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Pubrick

Quote from: RedVines on November 09, 2005, 10:34:15 AM
this is very sad. soundtracks would be great for him. but damn, no more films at all???

invalidated for life.
under the paving stones.

The Red Vine

Quote from: Pubrick on November 09, 2005, 10:35:46 AM
Quote from: RedVines on November 09, 2005, 10:34:15 AM

invalidated for life.

good response to sarcasm :notworthy:
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

MacGuffin

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 02, 2005, 01:29:58 PM
Paramount has set the DVD release for Elizabethtown for 2/7.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pubrick on November 08, 2005, 09:43:55 PM
from the onion.

LOS ANGELES—Explaining that his movies were but a small step in the pursuit of a career he has always dreamed about, Almost Famous director Cameron Crowe announced Monday that he is retiring from filmmaking to focus exclusively on soundtracks. "For me, the moving image has become redundant, and I believe that I can more effectively tell stories with carefully chosen music," said Crowe, backed by Electric Light Orchestra's "Do Ya." Crowe's first soundtrack, Walking With Headphones, will begin compilation later this winter for a summer release, with the soundtrack's soundtrack available on Polydor Records

:bravo:

great news... i knew it...i knew it...this makes me so happy ..i told you guys that this guy is a hack...
hes the tom cruise of directors.....anybody who would fucking cast asston cuntner and then fire him b/c you found out "he cant act"...well fucking duh!  crowe doesnt deserve to make films anymore...and its funny that his swan song film has two of the most annoying actors  currently in the biz....fuck dunst, crowe and that sweet dick motha fucker bloom.....

quote="cameron crowe"]"For me, the moving image has become redundant,....

dude, thats because all your shit is the same lame, sappy bullshit...i can safely say that "gay" would easily apply to crowes filmography....[no offense to my homosexual peeps..you know i love ya.. :kiss:

Ravi

God, I hope that's sarcasm.  You even quoted "from the onion."

hedwig

Quote from: pyramid machine on December 01, 2005, 10:20:58 PM
Quote from: Pubrick on November 08, 2005, 09:43:55 PM
from the onion.

:bravo:

great news... i knew it...i knew it...this makes me so happy ..i told you guys that this guy is a hack...
hes the tom cruise of directors.....anybody who would fucking cast asston cuntner and then fire him b/c you found out "he cant act"...well fucking duh!  crowe doesnt deserve to make films anymore...and its funny that his swan song film has two of the most annoying actors  currently in the biz....fuck dunst, crowe and that sweet dick motha fucker bloom.....

quote="cameron crowe"]"For me, the moving image has become redundant,....

dude, thats because all your shit is the same lame, sappy bullshit...i can safely say that "gay" would easily apply to crowes filmography....[no offense to my homosexual peeps..you know i love ya.. :kiss:

do you smash beer cans against your forehead after you drink them?

NEON MERCURY

cine