The Incredible Hulk

Started by MacGuffin, April 30, 2006, 09:58:28 AM

Pubrick

this will be shit. you will all see how brilliant HULK was.. one day. bana knows. fuck this movie worse than that other movie i hate, oh yeah, fantastic 4 2. fuck this more than that.

Quote from: Pubrick on February 16, 2004, 02:15:27 AM
HULK, [is] so future/now that [it] will remain unappreciated for at least another decade.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

From Blade to Hulk?
Prison inmate may replace Bana.

Dominic Purcell (Prison Break) is rumored to be taking over from another Aussie thesp, Eric Bana, in the title role of the next Hulk movie (referred to as both Hulk 2 and The Incredible Hulk).

Purcell was asked about the rumors today during an interview on New York radio station WPLJ. Purcell's stammering, non-denial response speaks for itself, suggesting that perhaps he has at least had discussions with Marvel Entertainment and Universal Studios about the project.

If the rumors prove true then it would not be Purcell's first appearance in a Marvel film. He played Dracula/Drake in Blade: Trinity.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Director Louis Leterrier on The Incredible Hulk!

The Incredible Hulk director Louis Leterrier (the "Transporter" films, "Unleashed") stopped by the Superhero Hype! message boards to chat with fans about Marvel Studios' anticipated sequel, to be released by Universal Pictures. The film will return to the roots of the long-running comic series, combining a well-developed character storyline with incredible action and fun. Zak Penn, who previously collaborated with Marvel on X2: Men United and X-Men: The Last Stand, is writing the script.

Here is a list of Leterrier's answers to questions asked by the fans:

Q: Can you confirm the method for which the Hulk will be presented?

We're studying every method and we'll pick the best method for every shot. It's important to make the Hulk tactile in this one. As an audience member I love to be confused and not know if it's CGI, animatronic, make-up (loved Davy Jones in Pirates... all CG!!!).

Q: Can you confirm if Dominic Purcell is in talks for a role in your movie, and possibly what role that is.

Let me show you something...

ITW: Hello Louis Leterrier.
LL: Hi.
ITW: I hear you've been asked to direct Indiana Jones 4.
LL: Huh...
ITW: INDY, you're so lucky!!!
LL: Huh, well, I love these films but...
ITW:That's going to be amazing. Good luck"

... and a day later every one says that LL is directing the next Indy.
Listen to Dominic Purcell's interview again.

Q: Will you get Statham a role in this film if not Abomination perhaps someone in the military.

He's Betty...

Q: We know the budget is not over 180 million per the terms of the merril deal but do you have an estimate yet? Zak said it was quite a bit.

It's enough. Listen, I made Transporter 1 for 17M$, Unleashed for 20M$ and Transporter 2 for 22M$ (this one could have used a couple of extra bucks, sorry about some of the vfx's). I'm used to small budgets. This one's very big in Hollywood standards and huge compared to my first films. I'm going to put every penny on screen.

Q: Is Bana officially eliminated from contention or is he still a possibility?

He's not out.

Q: How far are we away from a casting announcement and a release date?

Nothing's set.

Q: Is this a sequel or not? There has been alot of confusion over this. Sometimes yes, and other times no.

It's a hard question to answer. You have to be the judge of that when you see the film.

Q: Is Lou Ferrigno really in the running to voice Hulk? (I hope not)

I've only met Lou once and I was star-struck. Who do you think should do the voice?

Q: Avi & Zak have said they liked the action in the first film (desert battle), do you also share this opinion? And plan to live upto/top it?

There's only one way out of this one and it's up...

Q: Ang sometimes used interesting wipes to go between shots, although you don't need to, will you slip a few in during editing for people like me that loved that?

Too early to say.

Q: Was the distancing from the first movie (even as a sequel) at Comic-Con more of a way of getting attention of those that were dissatisfied with the first film rather than condemnation of the first film itself?

I like the first film. I just think I'm a maggot compared to Ang Lee. I'm not going to try to copy him, it would be an enormous failure. I'm going to do my version of a Hulk film. There's a lot of me in Unleashed. If you liked this film, you'll like our Hulk.

Q: Will you also be checking out Ultimate Fighter matches to get a feel for the influence on Hulk's fighting style in the first film (assuming you aren't familiar with that already)? Or will there be no consistency in this regard? Speaking of consistency, will there be any?

I'll surround myself with the best fight choreographers. It's going to be special.

Q: Has there been any talk of doing an online video blog from behind scenes of the film as many movies are doing these days?

I don't know. I'm not very photogenic.

Q: Has there been talk on where this will be filmed (U.S., Canada etc)?

Too early to say.

Q: Are you focused on casting an unknown or well known actor for Abomination? Or are you open to either?

Open to both.

Q: If there is some sense of continuity between films is there a chance will Harper return (even if it's just a cameo)? Are you expecting rewrites for Zak's first treatment?

Zak's turning in the best screenplay I ever read. I'm serious.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Hulk's Big-Screen Return Set
The Incredible Hulk is coming.

Marvel Studios and Universal Pictures have officially announced the big-screen return of The Incredible Hulk. Undaunted by the ho-hum 2003 film adaptation starring Eric Bana and Jennifer Connelly, the studios are plotting a new installment that's now set for a Summer 2008 release. Marvel announced today that The Incredible Hulk, as the sequel is called, will hit theaters on June 27th, 2008.

The Incredible Hulk, billed as an "action-packed adventure," is being independently produced by Marvel Studios through its $525 million, non-recourse film finance facility and will be distributed domestically and in several international territories by Universal Pictures.

Kevin Feige, President of Production for Marvel Studios, commented, "The Incredible Hulk will be the type of fun, high-octane event film people have come to expect from Marvel. We could not be more excited about this project and our summer 2008 prospects now that we have both our green goliath and our highly-anticipated Iron Man set for release."

Louis Leterrier (Transporter 2, Unleashed) is directing the movie which will supposedly take the franchise back to its roots. Marvel makes their case for the flick saying it will feature a "well-developed storyline with incredible action and fun."

X2 and X-Men: The Last Stand screenwriter Zak Penn is writing the screenplay.

There's no word yet on what actors might appear in the movie, but the press release circulated today mentions that casting is currently underway.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Who May Be The Next Hulk?
Oscar winner rumored for the role.

He has investigated the death of Superman, famously kissed Storm live on TV, and battled King Kong. Now the Oscar-winning actor has been linked with a monster of a role.

Adrien Brody, who won Best Actor for The Pianist, has been linked to the title role, a.k.a. Dr. Bruce Banner, in The Incredible Hulk, according to Ain't It Cool News.

While IGN continues to investigate the rumor, one key Marvel source advised us, "The role is not yet cast." Obviously, that is neither a confirmation nor a denial.

Brody's reps at CAA were coy, giving us a "no comment," adding that it was too "premature" at this stage to respond to the rumor. Make of that what you will.

Louis Leterrier is directing The Incredible Hulk for Universal, which aims to release the follow-up to Ang Lee's 2003 film on June 13, 2008.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Norton to star in 'Hulk'
Marvel sequel to be released in 2008
Source: Variety

Edward Norton has been set by Marvel Studios to play Bruce Banner in "The Incredible Hulk."

The Louis Leterrier-directed drama will be distributed by Universal Pictures, with an opening set for June 13, 2008.

It is a decided return to the mainstream for Norton, who recently has starred in such indies as "Down in the Valley," "The Painted Veil," and "The Illusionist." Pic will shoot this summer in Toronto.

Norton takes over a role played in the Ang Lee-directed "Hulk" by Eric Bana. Though that film opened strongly, it didn't fare as well as other Marvel efforts, including "Spider-Man," "X-Men," "Fantastic Four" and, most recently, "Ghost Rider."

Marvel Studios, which has a $525 million credit facility obtained through Merrill Lynch, made "The Incredible Hulk" its second film under that arrangement, and seeks to make a sequel that is less self-serious and more in line with the comic series and TV show. Leterrier directed the action-filled "Transporter 2," and "Unleashed."

The new pic begins with Banner on the run, trying to avoid capture long enough to cure the condition that turns him into a misunderstood green menace.

"Edward Norton is a rare talent and one of the most versatile actors in the business," Marvel Studios production president Kevin Feige said in a statement. "His ability to transform into a particular role makes him the ideal choice to take on the character of Bruce Banner and the Hulk. Edward is perfectly suited to bring one of the most popular and important Marvel icons to the bigscreen in a new and exciting way."

The script for "The Incredible Hulk" was written by Zak Penn, who had a hand in crafting two "X-Men" films, "Fantastic Four" and "Elektra" for Marvel.

"The Incredible Hulk" is being produced by Avi Arad, Gale Anne Hurd and Marvel's Feige. Jim Van Wyck, David Maisel, Ari Arad and Stan Lee are exec producing.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Wow.  I did not see that coming.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Kal

Better. But I still wont see this.

Gold Trumpet

I'll see it now. This could be a good challenge for Norton. Movie star performances aren't just toss away roles for great actors, but indicative of their range. Few actors can transition from dramatic to romantic and then to the movie star role. One actor who could do it with excellence was Jack Nicholson. Many of his early films just catered to his personality. He wasn't yet an actor, but he was a force onscreen that everyone agreed was alluring. Then when he honed that skill, he evolved that personality to a genius performance in Batman.

When Philip Seymour Hoffmann did Mission Impossible 3, he played the archetype enemy very well. I hadn't seen him do an out and out performance like that. He had a grace to his role that was captivating and almost mythical of the larger than life movie bad guy. I could see him doing better roles than that, but I don't think any good actor should make a career out of it. Paul Newman wasted twenty years of a very talented career by being a movie star, but a break every once in a while is never a bad thing.

The worst thing Norton could do is try create a methodically honed dramatic performance. He will have his character focus on nuances that a camera would never capture in a blockbuster action film. I hope he simplifies his performance to the classical standard that works well in this kind of film.

modage

Quote from: polkablues on April 15, 2007, 11:44:00 PM
Wow.  I did not see that coming.
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on April 16, 2007, 02:05:43 AM
I'll see it now.

i didn't think there was anything that could make me interested in this film. 

but apparently i was wrong.

:bravo:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

The great thing about the casting of Ed Norton is that he's always been willing to battle his directors if he doesn't like the direction the movie is going.  Sometimes it's to no avail, like "The Score", but still.  I wonder if Louis Leterrier knows what he's getting himself in for...
My house, my rules, my coffee

Derek237

:yabbse-undecided:

Ew. Count me out, thanks.

MacGuffin

The New HULK Movie will have a GREY Hulk!
Source: Collider.com

Over the last few days I've attended a few junkets and seen a lot of movies. While I have a ton to post and write up, this bit of news has to be posted right now.

At the Spiderman 3 junket earlier today I was able to ask Avi Arad some questions about the new Hulk movie and he basically let it slip that the new Hulk will be GREY, not green.

Frosty: With the Hulk coming next year you have to be far along with the script and I'm curious what can you tell us about the story and are you going to incorporate any of the CGI that you developed for the first film or the effects?

Avi: None. No. It's a new Hulk, new direction, new size, new color, new attitude. Anything that was done before is not in this movie. It's a very different kind of Hulk. It's more of a love story; it's more of a heroic Hulk. It's a kind of Hulk we loved in the show, so it's kind of more influenced by the show than anything else. It's very human, very touching, and huge action. Louis Leterrier has a unique filming style that will be great here and it's going to be spectacular.

Frosty: Any truth to a grey Hulk?

(When I asked that question he seemed almost taken aback, like he wasn't ready for it even though he had just said "new color") Then, after a pause, he said, "We'll see, I don't know."

While no one in the room followed up with any questions about will the Hulk have Bruce's intelligence or be just the angry monster...at least we got something cool.

So here is the best part - if you want to listen to this part of the interview where Avi talks new Hulk . He also talks about how they got Edward Norton to play the role and how Edward originally turned down playing the Hulk in Ang Lee's version.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Avi Arad is channeling joel silver in the level of shit he's taling in that interview.

apart from unwittingly revealing that there'll be a new colour (dumb), i don't believe when he says that ed norton turned down HULK. the offer must not have been serious. leterrier is more appealing to an actor than ang lee? avi arad you are talking shit. yeah so he says norton wasn't ready, and that the x men and spiderman movies made actors of "this calibre" think more seriously about doing comic book movies.. uh they were already huge when HULK came out, and hardly masterpiece showcases of an actor's craft. more appealing to their pockets maybe.

dude's drunk. norton just needs a hit bad.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

The Hulk Isn't Grey After All!
Exclusive: Avi Arad fills us in
Source: Empire Online

You know this 'The Hulk may be grey in the new Incredible Hulk movie' business that's been floating around the internet for the last couple of days? Well, as it turns out, he won't be. Move along, nothing to see here!

How do we know this? Well, just this afternoon we spoke exclusively to Avi Arad, ace comic book movie producer and the guy whose casual mention of a 'new colour' at a round table in LA sparked a net-geek frenzy on a scale rarely seen, and he confirmed it. Simple.

"It was a joke!" laughs Arad, in town to talk up Spider-Man 3, which opens on May 4. "Here's what it was. There were 30 people around a table, and they said 'is there going to be a grey Hulk?' And I was thinking about it and I said, 'who knows?' It was one of those moments. I had just got back from Japan and I was trying to talk about Spider-Man and this guy was pushing me on The Hulk so I thought I'll be coy. I don't know what colour it is, and all of a sudden it's headline news."

But Arad did mention a new colour – so will the eponymous star of Louis Letterier's movie, due out in 2008, still be green? Or orange? Or pink with yellow stripes?

"It's a different shade of green," confirms Arad. "But the colour is not like the old Hulk. And no, there's no grey Hulk."

Talk of a grey Hulk had led to fevered speculation that this version of Ol' Green/Greyskin would have some intelligence, and even be able to speak, much like the grey Hulk in the comic books. However, not content with debunking one rumour, Avi swiftly shot down another.

"He'll be instinctive, like a primal creature. That's what's interesting. There's no smarts. My dog is the gentlest animal out there, but he hates the plumber. He won't fight with anybody, hates the plumber!"

Of course, The Hulk will be taking on a bigger foe than The Plumber in The Incredible Hulk, namely The Abomination, but Arad is adamant that Marvel and Universal are heading in the right direction with the movie, particularly the casting. Last week's news that Edward Norton – indie darling and star of resolutely uncommercial films, for the most part – had signed on to play Bruce Banner. Especially when it was further revealed that he had actually turned down the Ang Lee version, in 2003. So, why the change of heart for Norton?

"I think we have a much better story," reveals Arad. "I think he likes Louis Leterrier. It's a very different movie, one of my personal goals was to make another Hulk movie where Hulk is heroic, lovable, the real Frankenstein story. That's what we set out to do. To me, I was stuck – literally – if it wasn't Ed Norton. I was sitting, thinking 'he has to make it happen'."

Arad also mentioned that the casting of "an amazing" Betty – Banner's love interest – should be confirmed within the next couple of days. Keep 'em peeled, people! 

Skeleton FilmWorks