The Dark Knight

Started by MacGuffin, September 28, 2005, 01:34:06 PM

hauntedtony

just an incredible movie start to finish!!

picolas

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Kal

Gold Trumpet

No Two-Face In Third "Batman"
By Garth Franklin
Thursday, September 4th 2008 12:15am

Though Heath Ledger's turn as The Joker scored most of the critical notices for "The Dark Knight", Aaron Eckhart's work as Harvey 'Two-Face' Dent' scored much praise as well.

Now, out doing promotions for "Towelhead", the actor confirms that the character will definitely not be a part of the next film."He's dead. I asked Chris if there was a chance of coming back. 'No way,' he said. 'He's toast.'" he told CHUD.

Was he signed for another film? He tells SHH that "No, I'm not coming back. I think unfortunately, Heath [Ledger] was supposed to go on and that didn't work out. I'm nobody. I'm a cog. I have no say over this sort of stuff. I'm sure that there's so many other characters that they could whip together. I heard Angelina Jolie was going to be Catwoman or something like that. I thought that was a great idea. I'd like to be in that one."

Two things stand out - 1.) Two Face as a character was truly wasted. I thought there was a chance he could come back because his death was a little vague, but nope. I believe this confirmation by Eckhart. 2.) I'm not sure Nolan will continue with a third Batman if there is no Ledger. If the idea was to continue with Joker then I'm sure he had a pretty good idea of what they wanted to do. Nothing written to script form, but there had to be a conceptual idea of how Batman's story was to end. Maybe a good enough idea where you can't just fit someone else into the role.

I believe Nolan is searching for the good idea to make him continue the series. I say it's 50/50 whether he finds it.

Pozer

i bet you're leaning more towards the hope that he won't return since the last one

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on July 19, 2008, 09:34:53 PM
was pretty terrible.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pozer on September 04, 2008, 11:41:04 AM
i bet you're leaning more towards the hope that he won't return since the last one

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on July 19, 2008, 09:34:53 PM
was pretty terrible.

No, because they will make a third regardless of Nolan's involvement. Warners has already confirmed that. Nolan made a decent version of Batman in Begins and he still gives the series the best chance for quality stuff.

I also think because it will be the third and final film they will have to take the themes more seriously. That should make for a better film.

Stefen

They should just drop the costumes and superhero crap altogether and go for a serious romantic dramedy tone. To make it more serious of course.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

Bethie

my friend decided him and i were the last people to see the dark knight, so we went tonight. batman is so badass. on the way out my friend goes, "i didnt like his voice, he sounded like a wild animal" im like "he is a wild animal, hes a bat" too easy
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

'Dark Knight' Star Aaron Eckhart Downplays Analogy Between Batman, George W. Bush
But the actor admits the movie is 'a mirror of our times.'
Source: MTV

He's a vigilante whose response to an overwhelming terrorist threat is to walk the path of good intentions straight into a moral quagmire. He supports extraordinary rendition, wiretapping and, shall we say, "refined interrogation techniques." He's the Dark Knight, a man Commissioner Gordon calls the hero the citizens deserve, but not the one they need.

But browse the Internet and you'll find papers like the Wall Street Journal, among others, calling him something else as well: an analogy for President Bush.

Setting aside whether having Batman mirror the commander in chief is a good thing, does the Caped Crusader at least tangentially mirror George W. Bush?

"I don't think [director] Chris [Nolan] would agree, and certainly that wasn't the intention," "Dark Knight" star Aaron Eckhart told MTV News of textual and subtextual themes in this summer's highest-grossing movie.

But while Eckhart insists that "The Dark Knight" is simply "good drama for good movies," he does agree that there are deliberate parallels to current events, even if there aren't any answers on how to deal with them.

"I agree [with the analogy] in a way," Eckhart said. "Of course [it has analogies]. When I read 'The Dark Knight' for the first time, I saw a lot of political issues. You know, obviously today's culture seeped in. It's a mirror of our times.

"[But] if you really break 'The Dark Knight' down, it's vigilantism," he added. "You're talking about a guy who takes the law into his own hands and [uses] extraordinary means to control the crime in the city. I don't think there was any conscious effort by [Nolan] to tackle any contemporary issues or problems" by means of one-to-one metaphors.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Dark Knight" plans re-release for Oscar push

Batman wants an Oscar. To be precise, Warner Bros. wants a statuette -- or 10 -- for "The Dark Knight." So the studio plans to re-release its blockbuster Batman sequel in January, the height of Academy Awards voting season.

"It's just a matter of bringing it back as a reminder for people," a studio insider explained.

Warner Bros. domestic distribution president Dan Fellman acknowledged ongoing talks with Imax execs over the prospect of restoring the Christian Bale starrer to some giant-screen venues in January. It's uncertain if "Dark Knight" also will reappear in conventional venues at that point.

Directed by Christopher Nolan, the film's huge commercial and critical success has spurred talk of possible Oscar nominations for its director, producers and cast -- most specifically Bale's co-star, Health Ledger, for the late actor's edgy performance as the Joker.

To date, "Dark Knight" has rung up about $512 million domestically and $440 million internationally, including more than $55 million in Imax grosses. A pre-Oscars re-release would help assure its topping $1 billion worldwide.

But with the title set to hit DVD in December, it's now apparent anyone hoping the Batman sequel would soar to "Titanic" heights will be disappointed. "Dark Knight" already ranks as the second-highest-grossing movie ever, after "Titanic's" phenomenal $1.84 billion -- a mix of $600.8 million in domestic box office and $1.24 billion in foreign coin registered in 1997 and 1998.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Warner Home Video has just officially announced the U.S. DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of The Dark Knight on (again, just as predicted) 12/9. Available on that day will be a single-disc DVD (SRP $28.98 - separate widescreen and full frame versions), a 2-disc DVD Special Edition (SRP $34.99) and a 2-disc Blu-ray (SRP $35.99). The single-disc DVD will include just the film itself. The 2-disc DVD will include the film, plus the Gotham Uncovered: Creation of a Scene documentary, The Dark Knight IMAX Scenes (the ability to view the 6 IMAX sequences in their original framing), 6 episodes of the fictional Gotham Tonight news program, galleries of poster art and production stills, and a Digital Copy version of the film. The Blu-ray will include all that, plus the exclusive Batman Tech: The Incredible Gadgets and Tools and Batman Unmasked: The Psychology of The Dark Knight featurettes, additional galleries (Joker Cards, concept art), trailers, TV spots and BD-Live enhancement. The movie on the Blu-ray will also be enhanced with something called Focus Points. All the video features will be in full HD on the Blu-ray, and the audio will be Dolby TrueHD. The Blu-ray Disc will apparently also be available in Limited Edition packaging featuring a replica of the Batpod (pictured below), but we don't know yet if this is a retailer exclusive or if it will be more widely available.

Skeleton FilmWorks

last days of gerry the elephant

Mac, you've been hunting down for that pod already, haven't you...

MacGuffin

Quote from: omuy on September 29, 2008, 10:28:29 PM
Mac, you've been hunting down for that pod already, haven't you...

Oh, yes, it will be mine.

Skeleton FilmWorks