Hollywoodland

Started by MacGuffin, July 05, 2006, 09:20:40 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: September 8th, 2006 (limited)

Starring: Adrien Brody, Ben Affleck, Diane Lane, Bob Hoskins, Kathleen Robertson 

Directed by: Allen Coulter

Premise: An exploration of fame and identity, inspired by one of Hollywood's most infamous real-life mysteries. The drama follows a 1950s private detective, who, while investigating the mysterious death of "Superman" star George Reeves, uncovers unexpected connections to his own life, as the case turns more personal. The torrid affair Reeves had with the wife of a studio executive might hold the key to the truth.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Kal

I saw the trailer the other night and loved it... but the title sucks

Ghostboy

It does look good. Wasn't the original title 'Up Up And Away' or something like that? Much better, but I guess there must have been rights issues. AICN reported that they weren't allowed to use the Superman insignia in the film either.

MacGuffin

Quote from: kal on July 05, 2006, 11:01:22 PMbut the title sucks

Justice Has a New Name
George Reeves biopic gets retitled.

February 8, 2006 - IGN FilmForce recently revealed that Focus Features' biopic of the late Superman star George Reeves was undergoing a title change. Initially titled Truth, Justice & The American Way, Focus was forced to drop the Man of Steel's motto after Warner Bros. threatened to sue.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Now I remember reading before about that film with the old title... it was much better... its ok they had to change it, but that was the best idea they came up with?

modage

well it beat out MovietownPlace 2-1, so there you have it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

diggler

i think the original title is far superior. damn warners.

apparently they are allowed to use the "S" though
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

SiliasRuby

*Spoilers.*

This was a great murder mystery story. Executed extremely well and I completely caugt up in both the plot and the subplot. I love how in the end it didn't really matter to Brody's character who killed George Reeves, but the search and what was happening in his life at the time gave many many clues as to what might have happened. Some people might ask the question of why after watching it but in the end again, it doesn't really matter, it's the tradegy. So ya, very satisfying, I didn't feel like I came out of the theatre empty handed at all.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

OrHowILearnedTo

The only thing the movie didn't have going for it was the the material just wasn't that interesting. But with what they did have to work with they did really well. I think Alan Coulture could pull off some pretty good flicks with some more...engaging stuff. Plus Affleck was really good I thought.