Sunshine [A New Film By Danny Boyle]

Started by modage, June 21, 2006, 09:16:17 AM

modage

The Sun is dying, and mankind is dying with it. Our last hope: a spaceship and a crew of eight men and women. They carry a device which will breathe new life into the star. But deep into their voyage, out of radio contact with Earth, their mission is starting to unravel. Soon the crew are fighting not only for their lives, but their sanity.

The film once again pairs director Danny Boyle with writer Alex Garland and producer Andrew Macdonald, who previously teamed up for the thinking person's zombie film, 28 DAYS LATER.

The cast is led by Rose Byrne (TROY), Cliff Curtis (WHALE RIDER), Chris Evans (FANTASTIC FOUR), Troy Garity (AFTER THE SUNSET), Cillian Murphy (28 DAYS LATER), Hiroyuki Sanada (THE LAST SAMURAI), Benedict Wong (DIRTY PRETTY THINGS) and Michelle Yeoh (CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON).

EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK:
http://www.sunshinedna.com/videos/8
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

My initial reaction to this based on the plot alone had me thinking of something along the lines of THE CORE! But i trust danny boyle and alex garland, so this could be swell
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Quote from: squints on June 21, 2006, 10:15:10 AM
My initial reaction to this based on the plot alone had me thinking of something along the lines of THE CORE! But i trust danny boyle and alex garland, so this could be swell

Actually...

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 05, 2004, 12:29:10 AM
Boyle & Garland Creating Sunshine
Source: Variety

28 Days Later director Danny Boyle and its writer, Alex Garland, are back in business with U.K.-based DNA Films and its financial partner, Fox Searchlight. Garland has just sold his spec sci-fi thriller Sunshine, with Boyle attached to direct.

Described as reminiscent of Henri-Georges Clouzot's 1953 pic The Wages of Fear, which followed men hired to transport an urgently needed shipment of high explosives without the equipment that would make it safe to do so, Sunshine follows a similarly fraught mission in space.

While no budget has been set for the film and no cast determined, Fox Searchlight confirms it will likely be in production by year's end. Sunshine would film in Europe and is expected to carry a budget of between $40 million and $45 million.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Danny Boyle's 'Sunshine' Might Be 'Alien'-Like Sci-Fi Breakthrough
Secrecy and major buzz surround upcoming release from 'Trainspotting' director.
Source: MTV

The New Year is young, but already buzz — or at least a sort of preliminary giddiness — is building about a movie that practically nobody has seen. It's "Sunshine," the forthcoming film by English director Danny Boyle, and speculation in fantasy precincts is that this picture could be the next step in the century-long visual evolution of big-screen sci-fi — an artistic breakthrough possibly on the order of "Alien," which brought post-industrial grubbiness to the previously pristine reaches of outer space 28 years ago.

Well, maybe, who knows? The movie's just-released trailer indicates that its most novel element is a really big role for the sun. No longer is deep space just a vast black vacuum sprinkled with stars and hung with huge orbs floating about in poetic slow motion. The sun, that incomprehensibly enormous ball of fiery plasma, heats things up visually, and provides a rich new source of deadly problems for the film's interstellar explorers.

The story is solidly anchored in the sci-fi tradition. It's set at a point in the future when the sun is dying, and along with it, life on Earth. Scientists have developed a sort of bomb that could jolt the sun back to life (or something). One of these devices was dispatched on a spaceship called Icarus seven years earlier. That ship disappeared before completing its mission. Now another ship, Icarus II, is on its way to the sun, bearing another bomb. Onboard is a crew of eight — six men, two women. Each, of course, has a vital scientific specialty. Naturally, not all of them get along. Soon they learn that ... they're not alone.

"Sunshine" looks like an exceptional stylistic advance in the career of Danny Boyle, previously best known for such gritty films as "Trainspotting" and "28 Days Later." The cast is a fresh mix, too, an assemblage of distinctive actors that includes Cillian Murphy ("Batman Begins"), Rose Byrne ("Wicker Park"), Michelle Yeoh ("Memoirs of a Geisha"), Hiroyuki Sanada ("The Last Samurai") and Chris Evans (Johnny Storm in "Fantastic Four").

The movie has been an unusually hush-hush project from the outset (filming and post-production reportedly took well over a year), and even though it's now 95 percent finished, Boyle is still keeping it under tight wraps — the cast and Fox Searchlight execs are among the few people who've seen the whole picture. When will the rest of us get a look? That's hard to say — there's no release date yet (possibly because there's no MPAA rating yet, either). However, March, April, somewhere in there seems likely. Let the looking-forward-to begin.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

it's got a great premise and all, but you know he'll just screw up the ending again.

and that trailer looks pretty spoilerful. i doubt the film is 90% action sequences.
under the paving stones.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

There's something about Cillian Murphy's American accent that I find both creepy and mesmerizing.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

sucked. feels more like joel schumaker than danny boyle. and enough w/ the requiem score in trailers already!

it's a shame b/c the idea is really cool.

Pubrick

Quote from: ©brad on February 27, 2007, 03:45:28 PM
sucked. feels more like joel schumaker than danny boyle. and enough w/ the requiem score in trailers already!

it's a shame b/c the idea is really cool.

wait, did you just review the movie or the trailer?
under the paving stones.

modage

no, i'm still pretty confident that this will be really good.  the trailer is more standard but it still looks cool and the trailer for Millions made it look pretty shite and that was still great.  so, if its not trainspotting you cannot make a trailer for a danny boyle movie look good.  maybe.

polkablues

Best sci-fi movie of the year (so far).

Quote from: modage on February 27, 2007, 10:42:37 PM
so, if its not trainspotting you cannot make a trailer for a danny boyle movie look good.  maybe.

"The Beach" trailer was amazing.
My house, my rules, my coffee

picolas

Quote from: polkablues on February 27, 2007, 11:55:38 PM

so, if its not trainspotting you cannot make a trailer for a danny boyle movie look good.  maybe.

but the movie wasn't that great, so the worse the trailer, the better the movie. so this will be great.

matt35mm

Quote from: picolas on February 28, 2007, 12:12:15 AM
Quote from: polkablues on February 27, 2007, 11:55:38 PM

but the movie wasn't that great, so the worse the trailer, the better the movie. so this will be great.

Your logic is off here.  But your conclusion is probably correct.