Clean

Started by MacGuffin, June 16, 2006, 10:50:12 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: June 16, 2006

Starring: Maggie Cheung, Beatrice Dalle, Nick Nolte, Jeanne Balibar, James Johnston 

Directed by: Olivier Assayas (Paris Je T'aime; Demonlover; Irma Vep)

Written by: Olivier Assayas

Premise: Emily has one obsession: to get her son back from her parents-in-law, who are raising him away from her. To achieve this, she will have to rebuild her life and become clean.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Oh, I guess nobody saw this.

It was okay.  Cheung's performance is the most notable thing, with the rest of the movie being fairly standard stuff.  The score from the end credits to Traffic was weaved throughout it, which was odd.  It drove me kind of crazy trying to remember where I heard that music before until I figured it out.  Also mildly notable for having a couple of people in the music scene play themselves, such as Emily Haines from Metric and David Roback from Mazzy Star (who also composed some music for the film).  Nick Nolte is good, even if his character is under-written, but the kid is terrible (as most kids are).

Anyway, it didn't leave me as impressed with Assayas as I had hoped to be.

Pubrick

Quote from: matt35mm on August 26, 2006, 12:23:07 PM
Anyway, it didn't leave me as impressed with Assayas as I had hoped to be.
yeah, my experience with assayas has always been that he's better at building your hopes up than actually living up to them.
under the paving stones.

regardless, that is a very beautiful poster.

maggie cheung isn't hugging nick nolte in it, is she? the tagline is like a puzzle. ARGGG.
context, context, context.