My Super Ex- Girlfriend

Started by MacGuffin, June 01, 2006, 11:20:41 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release Date: July 21th, 2006 (wide)

Starring: Uma Thurman, Luke Wilson, Anna Faris, Eddie Izzard, Rainn Wilson, Wanda Sykes

Written By: Don Payne (The Simpsons)

Directed by: Ivan Reitman 

Premise: Luke Wilson plays Matt Saunders, a guy who thinks he's finally found the perfect girlfriend. Uma Thurman is the apple of his eyes, the beautiful Jenny Johnson. But Jenny is more than just a pretty face... she also happens to be a superhero named G-Girl. When Jenny/G-Girl becomes overly possessive, Matt wants to call it quits - but how do you break up with a superhero? A scorned woman, Jenny/G-Girl unleashes on her ex the full fury of her super-powered wrath as she sets out on a no-holds-barred mission to bust up Matt's budding romance with his co-worker Hannah (Anna Faris).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

A thread?  really?

This movie's existance makes me want to cry.

pete

this movie just proves my claim that uma thurman is a monstrous babe.  kill bill, the producers, and now this--three movies she plays a babe who is too much of a babe for everyone in the world, even herself.  MONSTROUS babe.  she is the 6 ft. version of the attack of the 50 ft. babe, you know?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

killafilm

This has been test screening at the mall I work at for the past month and half or so.  So a bunch of stupid teeny-boppers are determining what is funny or not.  Reitman and company did have two meetings at my restaurant afterwards though.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: killafilm on June 02, 2006, 12:52:23 AM
So a bunch of stupid teeny-boppers are determining what is funny or not.

That explains a lot.  I watched this on HBO on Demand and fast-forwarded through the last half of it, only stopping to get the gist of the scene. 

I wouldn't have even posted anything about this piece of shit if it weren't for two things that really bugged me:

1) Ivan Reitman directed it.  The man who directed Ghostbusters - shit, the man who directed Dave - made this movie.  There is no chance of him ever making a good movie again.  I'm certain of it.  He should have just disappeared like John Landis once he started to suck.

2) This is the biggest waste of potential I may have ever seen.  Here's a movie that could have been a smart, funny, perfect compromise that fanboys and Sex and the City girls could have made and both sides could have come out completely satisfied.  Only a complete idiot could have ruined that premise.  The same could probably be said about lots of shitty movies but this could have really been something special if they had only cared.

It could have even been a take on the idea that the modern woman who can do anything still has trouble finding a boyfriend and whether that's because her successes frighten her off or if her high standards are never met. 

Or it could have been just a deadpan take on the absurdity of the idea of the real concerns of superheroes in an otherwise realistic environment.

But those ideas (and any chance for this movie to be any good) all get thrown out the window when they decide to make Uma a psycho-bitch without giving her a reason to be.

I wrote way too much about this movie.