Strangers with Candy

Started by MacGuffin, June 06, 2003, 11:19:45 AM

MacGuffin

"Strangers with Candy" movie coming?

The Hollywood Reporter reports that the former TV show "Strangers with Candy," which aired on the Comedy Central network, may resurface again through a big-screen movie, with series creator Amy Sedaris once again reprising her role as Jerri Blank. Sedaris' character was a 46-year old former drug addict that enrolls in high school again.

Sedaris will team up with series creators Paul Dinello and Stephen Colbert to pen the script. Although the trio is in the early stages of scripting, producers hope to have it ready for a fall start.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffin"Strangers with Candy" movie coming?

The Hollywood Reporter reports that the former TV show "Strangers with Candy," which aired on the Comedy Central network, may resurface again through a big-screen movie, with series creator Amy Sedaris once again reprising her role as Jerri Blank. Sedaris' character was a 46-year old former drug addict that enrolls in high school again.

Sedaris will team up with series creators Paul Dinello and Stephen Colbert to pen the script. Although the trio is in the early stages of scripting, producers hope to have it ready for a fall start.

Hurrah!!  I can't wait.  My prediction: Special "Pee Your Pants funny" prize at Cannes 2004.  :yabbse-thumbup:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

There was a tidbit about the SWC movie in the new EW today (page 19, "The Deal Report"), but best of all: Their color photo of Sedaris as Jerri Blank outranks Jack Black AND Cedric the Entertainer for size! Hey, it's a small and under-recognized show... you take what you can.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

MacGuffin

Broderick & Parker are Strangers with Candy
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Couple Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker will star in a feature film based on the Comedy Central series Strangers with Candy. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the two are close friends with Amy Sedaris, the co-creator and star of the cult series.

Though there's no deal, and it's unclear who they'll be playing, filming of the project is set to start this June in New York City. Sedaris and co-creators Paul Dinello and Stephen Colbert are writing the script with a director to be announced shortly.

The show, which aired for three seasons starting in 1999, is a dark satire of moralistic afterschool specials starring Sedaris as Jerri, a frumpy and unattractive outcast who returned to high school after 30 years of hard living on the streets and in prison.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Awesome. so the movie is finally becoming a reality. I hope they get everyone from the series back, orlando, derek, tammy. I'm sure Sedaris will be playing Jerri. I wonder who Broderick and Parker will be. This is awesome news indeed.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ghostboy

From Dark Horizons:

"Matthew Broderick will be playing Dr. Beekman, a science teacher, while his wife, Sarah Jessica Parker, will play Peggy Callis, a grief counselor. Other name stars include Dan Hedaya as Guy Blank (who was killed off during the show), Sir Ian Holm as Dr. Putney, Philip Seymour Hoffman as a Board of Education member, and "Six Feet Under" star Justin Theroux as a Driver's Education teacher.

"Everwood" star Chris Pratt makes his feature debut as a high school jock. Natasha Richardson may star as well. The producers have got "Third Rock From The Sun" star Kristen Johnston on board as Coach Muffy Diver. Filming began Monday, June 28th and is expected to wrap up the last week of July".

grand theft sparrow

If that's really the cast, this is going to be an amazing movie!

Dan Hedaya, the thinking man's Danny DeVito (a title shared with Jon Polito, of course), as Jerri's dad?  Outstanding!

godardian

That is truly an all-star cast. I've been crushing on Justin Theroux since Mulholland Dr., so I'm happy to see him in anything (recent Six Feet Under episodes have been quite revealing).

My only concern: Are all these cameos/big-star roles going to push the very talented actors who originally played similar roles in the series out into the cold?

MacGuffin

'Candy' lures ensemble cast
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Not everyone is afraid of "Strangers With Candy." Dan Hedaya, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ian Holm, Allison Janney, Kristen Johnston, Chris Pratt, Deborah Rush and Justin Theroux have signed on to star in the feature film version of the cult hit Comedy Central series. The actors join original cast members and creators Amy Sedaris, Paul Dinello and Stephen Colbert in the film, which is lensing in New Jersey with Dinello at the helm. As previously reported, Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick also have roles in the film.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

Maria Thayer (Tammi) and Orlando are also returning
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Warner Independent Acquires "Strangers With Candy"

North American rights to Paul Dinello's "Strangers With Candy," a Park City at Midnight presentation at Sundance, have been acquired by Warner Independent Pictures, the company announced today.

The film is based on the popular Comedy Central show of the same name. It was written by Amy Sedaris, Paul Dinello, and Stephen Colbert and was produced by Lorena David and Mark Roberts of Roberts/David Films, and by Worldwide Pants Incorporated, David Letterman's production company, in association with Comedy Central.

Dinello's "Candy" is the story of Amy Sedaris' Jerri Blank, a forty-something ex-con and junky who returns home to return to high school as a freshman.

"'Strangers with Candy' completely caught me off guard. It is rude, hilarious and bizarre. We loved it." said Mark Gill, President of Warner Independent Pictures, in a statement. The company plans to release the film this fall.

The movie marks the first feature film for Letterman's Worldwide Pants, which also produces Letterman's late night show and the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

So is that the actual movie that they were (did?) make with Broderick and stuff? Or does that just mean they bought the rights to the television show to continue airing it?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

Quote from: StefenSo is that the actual movie that they were (did?) make with Broderick and stuff? Or does that just mean they bought the rights to the television show to continue airing it?
It was presented at Sundance this week and Warner Independent Pictures bought the rights.

Stefen

Awesome, where the reviews be at? The torrents? The downloadable spoilers!

MacGuffin

No "Candy" For Warners

Strangers with Candy is in need of a distributor with more of a sweet tooth.

The feature-length version of the Comedy Central series, featuring Amy Sedaris as a 46-year-old reformed junkie who returns to high school as a freshman, was slated for an Oct. 21 release via Warners Independent Pictures.

The studio acquired the much-buzzed-about film last winter at Sundance for a reported $3 million.

However, fearing that the film's producers had failed to secure the necessary rights for items such as posters and props, WIP decided that it will not release the film as planned, Daily Variety reports.

The film, starring Sedaris and Stephen Colbert, and featuring Sarah Jessica Parker, Matthew Broderick and Philip Seymour Hoffman in supporting roles, was the first feature produced through David Letterman's production company, Worldwide Pants.

Though the company claimed it secured the necessary rights for the film from Comedy Central, WIP insisted there were numerous outstanding issues complicating the film's release.

The studio is reportedly gun-shy in the wake of a $17.5 million decision against Warner Bros, Pictures last summer in connection with The Dukes of Hazzard.

Warner Bros. ponied up the millions to ensure the Jessica Simpson vehicle would arrive in theaters as planned after Georgia-based producer Robert B. Clark was awarded a preliminary injunction on his claim the studio had infringed on the copyright to his obscure 1975 United Artists film Moonrunners, upon which the television edition of The Dukes of Hazzard was based.

In his lawsuit, Clark argued that Warner Bros. had purchased the TV rights to his script, but had neglected to put up the dough for the movie rights.

Not wanting to risk the $40 million spent on promoting the film, Warners plunked down the cash. As a result, the studio is apparently being extra careful about making a similar mistake.

According to Variety, WIP may void the contract with Worldwide Pants, leaving the production company free to seek another distributor for Strangers.

Skeleton FilmWorks