Master Of Space And Time

Started by MacGuffin, May 26, 2004, 12:49:42 AM

MacGuffin

Gondry & Black are Masters of Space and Time
Source: Variety

According to Variety, Michel Gondry is directing an adaptation of the sci-fi thriller Master of Space and Time by Rudy Rucker.

Jack Black (School of Rock) is attached to star in the film, which is in talks to land at DreamWorks.

Last year, the French production company Midi Minuit optioned Master of Space and Time, about two mad scientists who figure out how to control reality.

DreamWorks is negotiating rights with Midi Minuit. "Master of Space and Time" was first published in 1984 by St. Martin's Press.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Interesting.  Is this supposed to be more comedic or dramatic?  I see Black as having potential for being a solid dramatic actor, so it'd be cool to see him lean that way if that's the case.  And his working with Gondry is a good sign.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

ElPandaRoyal

Si

modage

Suicide Girls very own Daniel Robert Epstein spoke this morning with acclaimed filmmaker Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) and got a juicy tidbit about his upcoming film, Master of Space and Time, based on the novel by Rudy Rucker and set to star Jack Black.

According to Gondry, Daniel Clowes, the master behind such screenplays and graphic novels as Ghost World and Eightball, will pen the script.

Clowes' involvement with the project had not been previously announced.

Stay tuned to the SG interview section for Daniel Robert Epstein's full interview with Gondry.

Synopsis: The real world is unbearable to madcap inventor Harry Gerber, so he uses his genius to twist the laws of science and create his own tailor-made universe. Master of Space and Time combines high physics and high jinks, blurring the line between science and magic. From a voyage to a mirror-image world where sluglike parasites make slaves of humanity, to trees and bushes that grow fries and pork chops, to a rain of fish, author Rudy Rucker—two-time winner of the Philip K. Dick Award—takes readers on the ultimate joyride. But once the gluons at the core of Harry's creation run out ... disaster looms for Harry and his friends.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

for a second, i got this confused with that mike jittlov movie "the wizard of speed and time." jittlov was an animator back in the 80's and utilized a lot of the tricks that gondry uses now (but jittlov did em first). i first heard about him from a link in the kanye west "heard em say" video thread (i think) and i went to a website that talked about how people thought gondry ripped off jittlov especially in this video. they included a link to jittlov's showreel, which i will also post here.

it's really cool and it's about a half hour. worth a watch. i'd really like to see his feature, which i already mentioned, but it's out of print and probably costs too much (and i doubt it's really all that worth it).
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls