journey into bliss

Started by pete, January 15, 2006, 02:08:34 AM

pete

trailer here

I just came back from a midnight screening for a German pscyhedelic fairytale film called Journey Into Bliss.  It was an excessive low-budget special effects movie made a year ago that's been hitting the festival circuits or something.  It was on the one hand real innocent and childlike but on the other hand real vulgar and gory, a fun mixture.  Briefly, it was about how a nice boy named Gustov saved weirdo kid from drowning in a freezing pond, and in turn was cursed by the snowmen with a lifelong inseparable friendship.  They grew up to be like in their 50s and both fell for a young plump milkmaid, who liked Gustov, so they ditched the weirdo.  Flashforward to some time later, they now travel in a snailboat and gave birth to a bunch of little aryan girls.  The boat is run by "natives" who are black and white actors in black skin and big red lips, with laser guns, who sometimes break into dixieland numbers, its first mate is a big circus bear, also onboard are two smartass tree frogs, a bunny who likes to party, and an owl.  All of the animals are real.  They eventually stumble upon this little island, a nation ruled by an evil tyrant king, who turned out to be Gustov's old friend.  An adventure awaits for all I guess.
It definitely was out there, but it had more in common with low-budget sci-fi/ horror films than those hip innovative music videos.  The plot was obviously absurd and illogical, but it was followable and I enjoyed it.  There were some real real grosteque moments.
I hadn't seen a film like this in a while, and this was wonderful for the most part.

the film's theme song
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton