Ocean's 13

Started by MacGuffin, January 04, 2006, 02:45:54 PM

MacGuffin

Ocean's Next Heist
13 is the new 12

Ocean's Twelve might not have been the same blockbuster hit that Ocean's Eleven was, but it still pulled in a nice take of its own, and producer Jerry Weintraub and the Warner Bros. studio would like to keep the caper series going.

According to industry mag Variety, Weintraub is in talks with director Steven Soderbergh and George Clooney to get the gang back together for a third installment in the all-star heist pic series.

A candidate script for Ocean's third big job is already finished, apparently, and the studio is eager to start filming before the end of 2006. There's no word yet on what the picture would be about; presumably, there'll be another big jackpot that the gang just can't ignore, and another tangled plot involved in acquiring it. We'll let you know what develops.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

modage

seconded.  i dont think soderbergh has any interest in this.  unless he figures PURELY to keep making his other movies he has to do this.  but even with a 'one for them' mentality i cant think of anything less interesting than this and i'm sure he cant either.  even with most of the cast i'd rather ANY other film than this that could still be fun and make money.  look for brett ratner to take over the directing duties once soderbergh declines/drops out. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Tell me, Mod, are you excited for Mission Impossible: 3?

The first two Mission Impossible films were slim attempts to tell stories through different genre techniques. A similiar thing was done with Ocean's Eleven and Twelve but the results were really good for both. The heist film has still has new incarnations to take than what has already been done with both those movies. I'm excited and I believe this will be made. Clooney was optimistic for a third one when the second film was made.

ddmarfield

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 04, 2006, 02:45:54 PM
13 is the new 12

The tagline bakers everywhere have been waiting for.
"The girls around here all look like Cadillacs" -- Tom Waits

RegularKarate

They really blew it jumping from Oceans 11 to Oceans 12... they should have gone to Oceans 10 and keep releasing them, letting a character die each time (that way as people drop out, they don't have to replace them).

modage

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on January 04, 2006, 04:55:47 PM

The first two Mission Impossible films were slim attempts to tell stories through different genre techniques. A similiar thing was done with Ocean's Eleven and Twelve but the results were really good for both. The heist film has still has new incarnations to take than what has already been done with both those movies. I'm excited and I believe this will be made. Clooney was optimistic for a third one when the second film was made.
yes but only because J.J. Abrams is behind it.  if it had not been for him directing and co-writing i would not be interested.  i liked the first mission impossible a lot but hated the second one.  same with oceans.  its easier for me to see the comparison of different styles because of the directors changing but soderbergh back for another round is useless.  id rather he didnt waste his time.  the first was a breezy bit of fun, the second was awful and apparent that we really dont give a shit about these characters.  theres no point in taking them further.  the actors are likable/bankable, come up with something else to do with them.  i still dont think there's anyway soderbergh will do this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Soderbergh will need the money from these films to finance his doll movies.
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: modage on January 04, 2006, 06:34:46 PM

yes but only because J.J. Abrams is behind it.  if it had not been for him directing and co-writing i would not be interested.  i liked the first mission impossible a lot but hated the second one.  same with oceans.  its easier for me to see the comparison of different styles because of the directors changing but soderbergh back for another round is useless.  id rather he didnt waste his time.  the first was a breezy bit of fun, the second was awful and apparent that we really dont give a shit about these characters.  theres no point in taking them further.  the actors are likable/bankable, come up with something else to do with them.  i still dont think there's anyway soderbergh will do this.

Understandable when our opinion of Ocean's Twelve is just very different

modage

Soderbergh on Ocean's 13 and Che
Source: ComingSoon.net

Director Steven Soderbergh has an incredibly interesting career, from his early indie Sex, Lies and Videotape to his dual Oscar nominations for Erin Brockovich and Traffic to his latest experimental project, the independent crime drama Bubble, Soderbergh's first film using non-actors, part of a deal with HDNet Films that will be released concurrently in theatres, DVD and other media.

When ComingSoon.net spoke to Soderbergh about this new project, we were just as curious about the recent announcement that the director plans to return for a third time to do another Danny Ocean movie, and we wondered if the director made those movies to be able to finance smaller films like Bubble. "No, I love making those," he told us. "It's just balance. I want to be able to move in as many and whatever direction I want, and part of that is that every once in awhile, you have to make a movie that everyone has heard of. Both the second one and this one were generated by me saying that I want to do another one. Certainly, nobody's asking for this one. I just had another idea and went to everybody, and everybody said 'Fine.'

"I checked with them before we even got started, just to make sure," he continued when asked whether the entire cast, including George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and the rest would return like they did in Ocean's 12. "I said that I had an idea and I want to go back, but I'm not doing it unless everybody is on board."

"As a director, I get to do things in those movies that I can't do anywhere else, so they're fun for me," he said, explaining the appeal of the "Ocean" franchise to him. "They're not easy in the sense that I work hard on them. You really have to show up every day with ideas to keep things moving along, and sometimes that's hard, because there are days when you don't have any ideas. It's also difficult to find material that is really commercial that doesn't make you feel bad in the morning, so these are great opportunities for me."

We also wondered how progress was going on his other film Che about the Latin American political revolutionary, to be played by Benicio Del Toro, who won an Oscar for his role in Soderbergh's Traffic. "It's a hard one to describe because we're still working on the script," Soderbergh replied. "I'm working with a writer. I was on initially, then Terry Malick came on for a while, and then he left and I came back on. It's something that Laura Bickford, who produced 'Traffic,' and Benicio [Del Toro] and I have been talking about since 'Traffic,' and we're just now starting to get close, I think, to having the script the way we want. He's a very complicated subject, because he's one of the few figures that holds up the more you scrutinize him, but he was really complicated, and it's been hard to figure out what story we want to tell because there's a lot of story there. When Terry was working on the movie, it was only about Bolivia, but our movie is about Cuba and Bolivia, basically, it's a war movie. There may be some stuff from [Malick's production] that will survive. We're actually shooting six days in New York this month, which we're then going to hold, and then the rest of the film will be shot next year. The sequence we're shooting now is when he came to New York and spoke at the U.N. in December of '64. I guess the U.N. is going to be refurbished, and we've gotta get in there before they do."

Look for more with Soderbergh on Bubble, sometime in the next few weeks.

wow, color me wrong.  :shock:

Ultrahip

that's cool of the u.n to let them reenact that particular bit of history on the premises.

sheshothim

Quote from: modage on January 04, 2006, 06:34:46 PM

yes but only because J.J. Abrams is behind it. if it had not been for him directing and co-writing i would not be interested. i liked the first mission impossible a lot but hated the second one. same with oceans. its easier for me to see the comparison of different styles because of the directors changing but soderbergh back for another round is useless. id rather he didnt waste his time. the first was a breezy bit of fun, the second was awful and apparent that we really dont give a shit about these characters. theres no point in taking them further. the actors are likable/bankable, come up with something else to do with them. i still dont think there's anyway soderbergh will do this.

You know, I actually hated Oceans 12 at first too. I mean, I really wouldn't even pay enough attention to it to give it what it really deserved. I just decided "this is a little cliche, haven't I seen that before?"....etc. I ignored how intelligent the new plot actually was.

After watching it with my boyfriend, I was able to really like it. It's smart. Much different than the first one, but it still has the familiarity. I love that in movies. I guess I'm a big sequel person. Chances are, if a movie has a sequel(or multiple sequels) I'm watching it. I love being able to connect things....but ANYWAY....I did end up liking 12. I especially loved the part with Julia Roberts...that was very funny. And this twist was so different from 11's. I was so confused, once again, until the very end...and I LOVE that. I don't think I would really mind another one. It at least has my vote.

I will admit....3rd movies can get a little bit....hmm.....icky. I'm not sure how else to say it. Take Final Destination 3 for example........talk about deja vu....
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

Alexandro

Here we go again. So that Clooney, Pitt, Soderbergh and all those guys can go to europe to live they life, pretend they're making a movie, release it and be even more rich...

I fell asleep during Ocean's 12, first time in ages. It was as boring as reading about how fun it was to shoot it for Julia Roberts and co.

whatever.

The Red Vine

it's all about the money. eventually people will stop going to the Ocean's movies and they'll stop making them.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Pozer

Probably not true.  And would you guys do it if you could?